Tuition fee and deposit refunds
City must make refunds back to the same bank account or debit/credit card that was used to pay us, unless your refund request relates to a School Scholarship, in which case we can refund the account of your choice.
- If you originally paid by debit/credit card, when sending your refund request we do not require your card details again, as we securely stored them when you made payment.
- If you originally paid by a bank transfer from a UK bank account, please provide the original bank account details (full bank name and address, sort code, bank account number and account holder name).
- If you originally paid by a bank transfer from overseas, please provide the following information: (full bank name, full bank address, payee name, swift code or routing number, bank account number / IBAN number) and attach a copy of the original bank transfer.
- If you originally paid by Cheque or cash, please provide the original bank details (full bank name and address, sort code, bank account number and account holder name).
Before the University can process your refund to a bank account you must supply a copy of the bank statement or receipt which clearly shows when the fees were originally paid to us. The bank details on the bank statement/receipt must match the bank account details that you are asking us to refund to. This way we can be certain that we are paying the money back to the same account that was used to pay us.
(Please read our Terms and Conditions)
Deposits are non-refundable unless:
- You fail to meet the entry conditions
- You fail to secure your Tier 4 visa for any reason other than the provision of fraudulent information and are able to evidence this to the reasonable satisfaction of the institution.
- You cancel the Contract within 14 days of the date that you formally accepted your Offer.
- The institution terminates the Contract in accordance with Clause 10 of the terms and conditions and is unable to find a replacement programme for which you are qualified and which you are happy with.
To request a refund of your deposit, please complete a refund request.
Tuition Fee refunds
If you have made an overpayment or subsequently obtained funding from an alternative source, you can request a refund.
If you decide to leave your course you must notify your School before making a refund request.
If you withdraw or interrupt your studies, the amount of your tuition fee refund will be determined by the fees charged based upon your Interruption of studies or withdrawal date. The fees will be charged in accordance with the following:
Postgraduates and all non-Student Loan funded undergraduates
- Nil will be charged if you withdraw/interrupt your studies on or before 31st October 2019, but any deposit paid, if you are a postgraduate student, will not be refunded.
- 50% of the annual fee if you withdraw/interrupt your studies between 1st November 2019 and 31st January 2020.
- 100% of the annual fee if you withdraw/interrupt your studies on or after 1st February 2020.
Student Loan Company funded undergraduates
- Nil will be charged if you withdraw/suspend before 23rd September 2019.
- 25% of the annual fee will be charged if you withdraw/interrupt your studies on or after 23rd September 2019 and before 6th January 2020.
- 50% of the annual fee will be charged if you withdraw/interrupt your studies on or after 6th January 2020 and before 4th May 2020.
- 100% of the annual fee will be charged if you withdraw/interrupt your studies on or after 4th May 2020.
Research students will be charged pro-rata depending on the number of months they have attended.
Where courses start at different times of the year:
- Only the deposit amount will be charged if you withdraw/interrupt your studies within a month of your course start date.
- 50% of the annual fee will be charged from 1 month following your course start date to 3 months following your course start date.
- 100% of the annual fee will be charged after 3 months following the start date of your course.
To request a refund, complete a refund request form.
If you need to contact us about a refund, please email Refunds@city.ac.uk and a member of the team will get back to you.
Refund of a Print Credit Balance
At the end of your course if you have a balance on your Print Credit account that you would like refunded, please complete a refund request form.
If you paid by debit/credit card, the University must make the refund back to the same debit/credit card that you used to pay us. When sending your refund request we do not require your card details again, as they were securely stored when you made your payment.
Alternatively, you may choose to donate your full Print Credit balance to the City, University of London Student Hardship Fund.
Your refund/donation request will be dealt with by the Income Team in the Finance Office.