Learn how to manage your data and create detailed reports simply and easily.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £349 (unconfirmed)
Microsoft Access Database Course overview
Starting from the fundamentals of how to design and build databases in Microsoft Access, the Microsoft Access Database short course is a fully hands-on evening class that moves swiftly to cover tables, relationships, forms, queries, reports and macros.
The Microsoft Access training ends with an introduction to modules and programming the software.
Learn from a leading university academic and gain a clear introduction to programming with Access.
Who is it for?
This course is ideal for anyone in an Access database developer's/administrator's role, or where Access is a component of a diverse data management solution. The Microsoft Access Database short course is for everyone who uses data and would like to quickly create reports without the need for programming knowledge.
Find out more about our Computer science and computing courses
This practical short course takes the form of a series of evening classes taking place once a week.
City Short Courses follow the academic year, delivering courses over three terms. These include:
- Autumn - October
- Spring - January
- Summer - April
- Delivered by an industry professional
- Taught in small groups
- Awarded a City, University of London certificate
What will I learn?
- Introduction: Course overview, a quick overview of MS Access for windows. Database theory: Define a database, table, record, field, data types, key fields, indexes and object in Access.
- Creating tables I: Define the table structure, data entry.
- Creating tables II: Copying and restructuring the table design, modifying the field properties, using formats and input masks. Renaming and deleting tables.
- Importing and Exporting Data Relationships Database Management organisation: Data sorting, indexing and validation.
- Creating forms: Creating forms from scratch, changing the field properties on the form, calculations on forms, data entry forms.
- Using the form wizards.
- Creating queries: Introduction to the different query types. Writing Select queries using: Logical Operators: And, Or, Not and Null. Mathematical operators and calculations.
- Creating queries for: Global Delete, change and insert, Making Tables and Appending Tables.
- Creating Reports: Creating reports from scratch, Report headers and footers, calculations on reports. Using the form wizards to create mailing lists.
- Creating Advanced/complex Forms/Reports: Creating Main/ Sub-reports from scratch. Graphs in reports/forms.
- Macros: Creating and running macros.
- Modules: Creating VBA code.
- Database Administration and Security.
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The Microsoft access database course is not formally accredited.
In this Microsoft access database course, informal assessment will take place through group discussion, class room activities, and questions and answers sessions as guided by your tutor.
Working knowledge of Excel is an advantage.
Applicants must be proficient in written and spoken English.