Join us for the third and final beyond beginners module and learn to chat with locals with more confidence fluency.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £245 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Northampton Square (unconfirmed)
Chinese Mandarin Beyond Beginners Part 3 Course overview
Part 3 will teach you how to tell a story, describe past holiday experiences and discuss your favourite travel destinations. You’ll learn to write letters and postcards – handy for writing a thank you note.
Practicing in small groups, you’ll improve your grammar, using phrases such as shì…de and wán…..le and learn to use emphatic words such as dōu and cái.
The module content is particularly useful for socialising and meeting new people. By the end of the 10 weeks you will be ready to move into lower intermediate level, if you choose to continue learning.
Who is it for?
You should have completed both parts 1 and 2 of the beyond beginners syllabus or studied Mandarin formally for approximately 100 hours. Check the eligibility section for more information.
Find out more about our Chinese Mandarin courses
This course takes place one evening a week at 18:30 for 10 weeks.
- Complete the syllabus and prepare for lower intermediate level of learning
- Learn useful vocabulary for chatting to locals
- Gain an insight into Chinese culture and society from our native Mandarin tutors.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course, you will be able to
- write commonly used characters
- confidently use number of times
- describe a past event in a sophisticated manner
- tell a story
- discuss favourite travel destinations
- describe holiday experiences
- write letters, postcards and envelopes using the correct format
- make promises.
- shì…de to express the time or manner of a past action
- wán…..le to indicate the completion of an action
- preposition géi
- emphatic word dōu
- le for indicating change of state
- negative sentences with yě
- emphatic word cái
- use of structure de shíhou.
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate on completion of the course if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The course is not formally accredited.
Your tutor will monitor your progress and give regular feedback, both on the homework and your participation in class.
We teach a variety of effective techniques – these include tutor-led ‘drilling’ of key words and phrases and the use of role-play. You’ll have plenty of time to practice your pronunciation and feel more confident using your skills in real life. You’ll get to know your classmates through pair work and completing language tasks, making our lessons a friendly and informal environment for learning.
You can continue studying between classes, with access to our digital platform Moodle, which hosts lesson content and supporting materials.
Join us here if you have completed part 2 of the beyond beginners syllabus or have studied formally for 100 hours with another provider.
You should already be able to:
- recognise commonly used characters
- use public transport, buy tickets and hail a taxi
- discuss traffic and road conditions
- link verbs with adverbs using de
- make comparisons using adjective + complement
- Use ordinal numbers with measure words.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.