Dr Jafar Al Zaili
- Dr Jafar Al Zaili
- +44 (0)20 7040 8623
Dr Alzaili obtained BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Sharif university of Technology on 1999, MSc in Aerospace Propulsion from the same university in 2002 and PhD from Cranfield University in 2012 funded by EXTICE an EU FP7 project to study extreme aircraft icing conditions for both airframes and the engines. His thesis title was “Semi-‐Empirical Approach to Characterize Thin Water Film Behaviour in Relation to Droplet Splashing in Modelling Aircraft Icing”. His doctoral programme involved a range of research activities from experimental study of thin water film and droplet dynamic in relation to splashing process, to theoretical modelling and numerical simulation of water film dynamic and splashing process. His MSc thesis was on “Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Compressible Flow using Unstructured Adaptive Grids”. The outcome of the work was implemented to develop a commercial CFD software.
Dr Alzaili has worked in several engineering position as design engineer, consultant, R&D engineer and project manager. Most recently he was leading a team of engineers to develop a small scale Micro Gas Turbine for domestic CHP application.
- PhD Aircraft Icing Simulation, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 2012
- MSc Aerospace Propulsion, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2001
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 1999
- PRINCE2® Practitioner Certificate in Project Management, AEXLOS, United Kingdom
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- Lecturer in Power and Propulsion, City, University London, Oct 2019 – present
- Research Fellow in Turbomachinery and Energy Systems, City, University London, May 2015 – Sep 2019
Arabic (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Persian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Alzaili, J., White, M. and Sayma, A. (2020). Developments in Solar Powered Micro Gas Turbines and Waste Heat Recovery Organic Rankine Cycles. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems (pp. 439–452).
- Iaria, D., Alzaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2018). Solar dish micro gas turbine technology for distributed power generation. Green Energy and Technology (pp. 119–131).
- Somehsaraei, H.N., Iaria, D., Al Zaili, J., Assadi, M., Sayma, A. and Ghavami, M. (2019). Application of artificial neural networks for monitoring and optimum operation prediction of solar hybrid MGT systems.
- Al Zaili, J., Sayma, A. and Iaria, D. (2017). Reducing Levelised Cost of Energy and Environmental Impact of a Hybrid Microturbine-Based Concentrated Solar Power Plant. 2017 Global Power and Propulsion Forum 30 Oct 2017 – 1 Nov 2017.
- Sayma, A., Iaria, D., Khader, M. and Al Zaili, J. (2017). Multi-Objective Optimisation of A Centrifugal Compressor for a Micro Gas Turbine Operated by Concentrated Solar Power.
- Ghavami, M., Alzaili, J. and Sayma, A.I. (2017). A comparative study of the control strategies for pure concentrated solar power micro gas turbines.
- Al Zaili, J. and Sayma, A. (2016). Challenges in the Development of Micro Gas Turbines for Concentrated Solar Power Systems.
- Alzaili, J. and Hammond, D. (2011). Experimental Investigation of Thin Water Film Stability and Its Characteristics in SLD Icing Problem. SAE 2011 International Conference on Aircraft and Engine Icing and Ground Deicing.
- Al-Zaili, J.A. (2007). Performance Enhancement of Low Mach and Reynolds Compressible Microflow Solver. 9th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics.
- Alzaili, J. and Mazaheri, K. (2006). Bulk Viscosity Damping for Accelerating Convergence of Compressible Viscous Flow Solvers. European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Alzaili, J. and Mazaheri, K. (2002). Effect of Adaptation on Numerical Solution of Viscous Compressible Turbulent Flow. The 9th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics.
- Richards, S.J. and Al Zaili, J. (2020). Contribution of encouraging the future use of biomethane to resolving sustainability and energy security challenges: The case of the UK. Energy for Sustainable Development, 55, pp. 48–55. doi:10.1016/j.esd.2019.12.003.
- Vakilipour, S., Tohidi, Y., Al-Zaili, J. and Riazi, R. (2020). A numerical investigation of CO2 dilution on the thermochemical characteristics of a swirl stabilized diffusion flame. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 41(2), pp. 327–348. doi:10.1007/s10483-020-2571-6.
- Iaria, D., Zhou, X., Al Zaili, J., Zhang, Q., Xiao, G. and Sayma, A. (2019). Development of a Model for Performance Analysis of a Honeycomb Thermal Energy Storage for Solar Power Microturbine Applications. Energies, 12(20), pp. 3968–3968. doi:10.3390/en12203968.
- Iaria, D., Nipkey, H., Al Zaili, J., Sayma, A. and Assadi, M. Development and Validation of a Thermo-Economic Model for Design Optimisation and Off-Design Performance Evaluation of a Pure Solar Microturbine. Energies.
- Alzaili, J. Semi-‐Empirical Approach To Characterize Thin Water Film Behaviour In Relation To Droplet Splashing In Modelling Aircraft Icing. (PhD Thesis)
- Alzaili, J. Numerical Solution of Turbulent Compressible Flow using Unstructured Adaptive Grids. (Master's Thesis)