Senior lecturer specialising in Data Journalism.
I'm a former journalist with more than 20 years' experience in journalism, training and journalism education.
My teaching centres on data journalism and data analysis as well as digital and social journalism techniques.
My research interests lie at the intersection of coding and news - from data journalism to newsroom development and what these emerging roles mean for students and trainers. I also research around social media usage by news organisations.
Educational technology and innovation in journalism are key areas of my practice.
I'm the co-chair of the European Data and Computational Journalism Conference - a peripetic conference that allows practitioners and academics to share knowledge and experience.
Prior to starting at City, University of London I taught at Cardiff University, where I worked in news journalism, digital journalism and data and coputational journalism.
- MSc Elearning Technologies, University of Portsmouth, United Kingdom
- BscEcon Politics, Swansea University, United Kingdom
- CertEd in Post Compulsory Education and Training, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Jun 2019 – present
- Co-director, MSc Computational ad Data Journalism, Cardiff University, Nov 2006 – May 2019
- Lecturer, Highbury College, Jun 2002 – Oct 2006
- Holmes, T., Hadwin, S. and Mottershead, G. (2012). The 21st Century Journalism Handbook: Essential Skills for the Modern Journalist. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-4058-4632-5.
(Mottershead, G., Contributor)
- Mottershead, G. and Chorley, M. (2018). Are you talking to me? An analysis of journalism conversation on social media}. The Future of Journalism: Risks, Threats and Opportunities Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-61649-3.
- Holmes, T. and Mottershead, G. (2015). Professional Subediting Practice. Subediting and Production for Journalists Print, Digital & Social Routledge. ISBN 978-1-136-50069-5.
- Cable, J. and Mottershead, G. (2018). Can I click it? Yes you can': Football journalism, Twitter and clickbait. Ethical Space: the international journal of communication ethics, 15(1).
- Chorley, M.J. and Mottershead, G. (2016). Are You Talking to Me?: An analysis of journalism conversation on social media. Journalism Practice, 10(7), pp. 856–867. doi:10.1080/17512786.2016.1166978.
- Mottershead, G. (2015). Search: theory and practice in journalism online. Digital Journalism, 3(6), pp. 948–949. doi:10.1080/21670811.2015.1034530.