Dr Andreas Kappes
- Dr Andreas Kappes
- +44 (0)20 7040 8379
I'm trying to understand the social behaviour of humans from the mundane to the magnificent, from the best to the worst and everything in between. Specifically, I'm interested how the unavoidable uncertainty in all our social decisions affects our behaviour, how and when we are influenced by others, and how we learn about ourselves and others.
My approach is one that is situated between psychology, neuroscience, and behavioural economics. As a social psychologist, I focus on the circumstances: what are the situations when people are, for instance, likely to cooperate and what are the situations when people are likely to cheat? And I'm trying then to use my neuroscientific training to understand how the psychological mechanisms that support the behaviour are implemented in the brain. I often use economic decisions and experiments inspired by behavioural economic approaches to study social behaviours.
- Research Fellow, University of Oxford, May 2014 – Oct 2017
- Post-doc, University College London / New York University, Oct 2012 – Apr 2014
- Kappes, A., Faber, N.S., Kahane, G., Savulescu, J. and Crockett, M.J. (2018). Concern for Others Leads to Vicarious Optimism. Psychological Science, 29(3), pp. 379–389. doi:10.1177/0956797617737129.
- Wittleder, S., Kappes, A., Krott, N.R., Jay, M. and Oettingen, G. (2019). Mental contrasting spurs energy by changing implicit evaluations of obstacles. Motivation Science. doi:10.1037/mot0000140.
- Wittleder, S., Kappes, A., Oettingen, G., Gollwitzer, P.M., Jay, M. and Morgenstern, J. (2019). Mental Contrasting With Implementation Intentions Reduces Drinking When Drinking Is Hazardous: An Online Self-Regulation Intervention. Health Education & Behavior pp. 109019811982628–109019811982628. doi:10.1177/1090198119826284.
- Kappes, A., Nussberger, A.M., Faber, N.S., Kahane, G., Savulescu, J. and Crockett, M.J. (2018). Uncertainty about the impact of social decisions increases prosocial behaviour. Nature Human Behaviour, 2(8), pp. 573–580. doi:10.1038/s41562-018-0372-x.
- Wittleder, S., Kappes, A., Oettingen, G., Gollwitzer, P., Jay, M. and Morgenstern, J. (2018). MENTAL CONTRASTING WITH IMPLEMENTATION INTENTIONS (MCII): AN ONLINE SELF-REGULATION INTERVENTION TO REDUCE DRINKING. ANNALS OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE, 52.
- Kappes, A., Kahane, G. and Crockett, M.J. (2016). From risk to fairness. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(42), pp. 11651–11653. doi:10.1073/pnas.1614111113.
- Park, G., Kappes, A., Rho, Y. and Van Bavel, J.J. (2016). At the heart of morality lies neuro-visceral integration: lower cardiac vagal tone predicts utilitarian moral judgment. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 11(10), pp. 1588–1596. doi:10.1093/scan/nsw077.
- Kappes, A. and Crockett, M.J. (2016). The Benefits and Costs of a Rose-Colored Hindsight. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 20(9), pp. 644–646. doi:10.1016/j.tics.2016.06.009.
- Kappes, A. and Oettingen, G. (2014). The emergence of goal pursuit: Mental contrasting connects future and reality. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 54, pp. 25–39. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2014.03.014.
- Merkt, J., Singmann, H., Bodenburg, S., Goossens-Merkt, H., Kappes, A., Wendt, M. … Gawrilow, C. (2013). Flanker performance in female college students with ADHD: a diffusion model analysis. ADHD Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders, 5(4), pp. 321–341. doi:10.1007/s12402-013-0110-1.
- Kappes, A., Wendt, M., Reinelt, T. and Oettingen, G. (2013). Mental contrasting changes the meaning of reality. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 49(5), pp. 797–810. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2013.03.010.
- Kappes, A. and Schikowski, A. (2013). Implicit theories of emotion shape regulation of negative affect. Cognition & Emotion, 27(5), pp. 952–960. doi:10.1080/02699931.2012.753415.
- Kappes, A., Singmann, H. and Oettingen, G. (2012). Mental contrasting instigates goal pursuit by linking obstacles of reality with instrumental behavior. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 48(4), pp. 811–818. doi:10.1016/j.jesp.2012.02.002.
- Kappes, A., Oettingen, G. and Pak, H. (2012). Mental Contrasting and the Self-Regulation of Responding to Negative Feedback. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38(7), pp. 845–857. doi:10.1177/0146167212446833.
- Would I lie to you, baby? - Life in the post-truth era. Deutsche Welle Sweet little lies, or big massive whoppers? Either way, truth is a flexible concept in politics these days. So this week we're talking dodgy facts and fake news. Can Dundar, Nanjira Sambuli and Andreas Kappes join Damien McGuinness and Kate Brady for a special edition of Stammtich, live from the Global Media Forum in Bonn.