Dr Amin Samman
Amin Samman joined City in January 2013. His research focuses on the temporal and historical dimensions of contemporary capitalism, with an emphasis on money and finance.
Dr Samman has written on issues related to crisis thinking, economic historiography, contemporary histories of financial crisis, and secular rituals of crisis management. This work has appeared in a number of peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Cultural Economy, Millennium: Journal of International Studies, Review of International Political Economy, and the Review of International Studies. His first monograph, 'History in Financial Times', was published this year by Stanford University Press as part of their new series, 'Currencies: New Thinking for Financial Times'.
Dr Samman is actively involved in fostering and promoting cutting-edge research in the burgeoning field of finance and society studies. He is co-founder and editor of the open-access journal, Finance and Society, as well as co-founder and chair of the Finance and Society Network (FSN), which publishes monthly newsletters and facilitates regular events, including a major annual conference.
- PhD in International Political Economy, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2008 – 2012
- MSc in Politics of the World Economy, London School of Economics, United Kingdom, 2005 – 2006
- BSc in Economics, University College London, United Kingdom, 2002 – 2005
Financial history and crisis
Historical theory and method
Philosophy of time and history
History and politics of IPE theory
Constructivist and cultural political economy approaches
History of economic thought
Libidinal political economy
Critical theory and philosophy of technology
Religion, magic, and the occult
Areas for supervision
Any of the above
- Samman, A. (2019). History in Financial Times. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-1-5036-0945-7.
- Samman, A. and Seabrooke, L. (2016). International Political Economy. In Guillaume, X. and Bilgin, P. (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of International Political Sociology (pp. 46–59). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-73225-3.
- Samman, A. (2015). Money's other worlds: On the magical underpinnings of our ostensibly rational economies. Stanford University Press Blog.
- Samman, A. (2016). Conjuring the spirit of multilateralism: Histories of crisis management during the ‘great credit crash’. Review of International Studies, 42(2), pp. 227–246. doi:10.1017/S0260210515000133.
- Samman, A. (2016). The specter of capital. Journal of Cultural Economy, 9(1), pp. 108–114. doi:10.1080/17530350.2015.1100650.
- Samman, A. (2015). Crisis theory and the historical imagination. Review of International Political Economy, 22(5), pp. 966–995. doi:10.1080/09692290.2015.1011682.
- Samman, A., Coombs, N, and Cameron, A, (2015). For a post-disciplinary study of finance and society. Finance and Society, 1(1), pp. 1–5. doi:10.2218/finsoc.v1i1.1366.
- Samman, A. (2015). Introduction: Money's other worlds. Finance and Society, 1(2), pp. 23–26. doi:10.2218/finsoc.v1i2.1382.
- Samman, A. (2014). Making financial history: The crisis of 2008 and the return of the past. Millennium: Journal of International Studies, 42(2), pp. 309–330. doi:10.1177/0305829813511866.
- Samman, A. (2012). The 1930s as black mirror: Visions of historical repetition in the global financial press, 2007-2009. Journal of Cultural Economy, 5(2), pp. 213–229. doi:10.1080/17530350.2012.660792.
- Samman, A. (2011). The idea of crisis. Journal of Critical Globalisation Studies, 4, pp. 4–9.
- Samman, A. (2011). History in finance and fiction in history. economic sociology_the european electronic newsletter, 12(3), pp. 26–34.
- Samman, A. (2008). Imagining East Asia. Naked Punch Review, 10, pp. 74–81.
Dr Samman convenes a core undergraduate module in international political economy, as well as advanced electives in critical theory and cultural economy.
IP2022: States and Markets in an Era of Globalisation
IP3033: Cultural Political Economy
IPM124: Cultural Logics of Contemporary Capitalism
- Finance and Society, Founding editor, 2015 – present.
- Journal of Critical Globalisation Studies, Editor, 2010 – 2014.
- Under/Current Magazine, Writing editor, 2008 – 2010.
- Naked Punch: The Engaged Review of Contemporary Art and Thought, Assistant editor, 2007 – 2009.
- Dr Samman has acted as peer-reviewer for the following publications and publishers:
Review of International Political Economy
European Journal of International Relations
British Journal of Politics and International Relations
Millennium: Journal of International Studies
Journal of Cultural Economy
Political Studies Review
Cambridge University Press