Dr Aaron Einbond
- Dr Aaron Einbond
- +44 (0)20 7040 8279
Aaron Einbond’s work explores the intersection of instrumental composition, sound installation, field recording, and technology, bringing the spontaneity of live performance together with computer interactivity. His recent music has focused on audio transcription as the center of a creative process bridging composition, improvisation, and interpretation, questioning the thresholds of perception between instrument, stage, room, and loudspeaker. Recently Chicago-based Ensemble Dal Niente released his portrait album Without Words on Carrier Records, SWR Experimentalstudio produced his Giga-Hertz prizewinning Cartographies for piano with two performers and electronics for the 47-loudspeaker Klangdom at ZKM in Karlsruhe, and the Académie du Festival d’Aix and Opera Lab Berlin co-produced his site-specific ambient chamber opera Hidden in Plain Sight in the streets of Aix-en-Provence. Current projects include a concert-installation for Yarn/Wire and collaborations with TwoNewDuo, loadbang, and the Riot Ensemble. He is Co-Artistic Director of Qubit New Music Initiative with whom he curates and produces experimental media in New York.
Einbond has received a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship and an Artistic Research Residency at IRCAM in Paris; taught at Columbia University, the University of Huddersfield, and Harvard University; and currently teaches at City, University of London. He was born in New York in 1978 and studied at Harvard University, the University of Cambridge, the University of California Berkeley, and IRCAM with teachers including Mario Davidovsky, Julian Anderson, Edmund Campion, and Philippe Leroux.
- D.E.M. 1er Prix, Conservatoire du Rayonnement Départmental “Erik Satie", France, Sep 2007 – Jul 2009
- Ph.D., University of California, USA, Aug 2002 – Dec 2009
- P.G.Dip., Royal College of Music, London, United Kingdom, Sep 2001 – Jul 2002
- M.Phil., University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom, Sep 2000 – Aug 2001
- A.B., Harvard University, Cambridge, United States, Sep 1996 – Jun 2000
- Artistic Research Resident, Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique Musique, Paris, Oct 2014 – Apr 2015
- Visiting Lecturer, Harvard University, Cambridge, Jan – Jun 2014
- Research Fellow, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, Feb 2012 – Jan 2014
- Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University, New York, Aug 2009 – Aug 2011
- Cosmologies of the Concert Grand Piano, STARTS Residency, May 2019 – Mar 2020
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2014 – 2015
Artistic and Research Statement
My work explores the intersection of instrumental composition, sound installation, field recording, and technology, bringing the spontaneity of live performance together with computer interactivity to impact and challenge the listener. My recent music has focused on audio transcription as the center of a creative process bridging composition, improvisation, and interpretation, questioning the thresholds of perception between instrument, stage, room, and loudspeaker.
Artistic production and technological research support each other in my work to illuminate our experience of music. With the increasing advent of big data, Music Information Retrieval (MIR) is one of the most exciting fields in the digital humanities today, and the focus of my research and creative activity. As ever-larger databases of recorded sound become available through the internet and digital archives, I would like to open a dialogue between experimental and popular practices to address the pressing question of how to make sense of this data and harness it for research, teaching, and music making focusing on the key issues of timbre, improvisation, and spatial sound.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Mapping the Klangdom Live: Cartographies for Piano with Two Performers and Electronics. Computer Music Journal, 41(1), pp. 61–75. doi:10.1162/COMJ_a_00397.
- Cassidy, A. and Einbond, A. (Eds.), (2013). Noise In And As Music. Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-118-2.
- Einbond, (2016). Musique instrumentale concrète: Timbral transcription in What the Blind See and Without Words. In Bresson, J., Agon, C. and Assayag, G. (Eds.), The OM Composer's Book (pp. 155–171). Paris: Editions Delatour/Ircam-Centre Pompidou.
- Einbond, A. (2013). Subtractive Synthesis: noise and digital (un)creativity. In Cassidy, A. and Einbond, A. (Eds.), Noise in and As Music (pp. 57–75). Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-118-2.
- MacCallum, J. and Einbond, A. (2008). Real-time analysis of sensory dissonance. (pp. 203–211). ISBN 978-3-540-85034-2.
- Einbond, (2003). Twelve-Note Roots: The fifth and sixth movements of The Death of Moses. In Latham, A. (Ed.), Sing, Ariel Essays and Thoughts for Alexander Goehr's Seventieth Birthday (pp. 217–237). London: Ashgate Publishing, Ltd.. ISBN 978-0-7546-3497-3.
- Einbond, A. (2020). Cosmologies for piano and three-dimensional electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2019). Attempt at Exhausting a Place for flute, soprano saxophone, viola, percussion, piano, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. and Meireles, M. (2019). London Scenes for fixed stereo electronics. (Vinyl LP)
- Einbond, A. (2018). Kate Frankenstein for for bass clarinet, trombone, violoncello, percussion, harp, piano and video.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Central Park for baritone, bass clarinet, trumpet, trombone, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Central Park for trombone and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2016). Hidden in Plain Sight for mezzo-soprano, baritone, clarinet/bass clarinet, violoncello, and electronics. (Site-specific music theatre)
- Einbond, (2016). The Kind of Problem a City Is for two percussionists, two keyboard players, and electronics.
- Einbond, (2016). Graphology for violoncello solo, bass flute, bass clarinet, violin, percussion, and electronics.
- Einbond, (2015). String Trio with Field Recording.
- Einbond, (2015). Xylography for violoncello and electronics.
- Einbond, (2014). Cartographies for piano with two performers and electronics.
- Einbond, (2013). Endangered Sound for orchestra and field recordings.
- Einbond, (2012). Without Words for soprano, 11 instruments, and electronics.
- Einbond, (2012). Resistance for bass clarinet and electronics.
- Einbond, (2011). Paläontologie for four baroque instruments and four modern instruments.
- Einbond, (2010). Passagework for two pianists, two percussionists and electronics.
- Einbond, (2009). Starting Over for contrabass Paetzold recorder in F and electonics.
- Einbond, (2009). What the Blind See for five players and electronics.
- Einbond, (2008). Beside Oneself for viola and electronics.
- Einbond, (2006). Temper for bass clarinet and electronics.
- Einbond, , Schwarz, D., Borghesi, R. and Schnell, N. (2016). Introducing CatOracle: Corpus-based concatenative improvisation with the Audio Oracle algorithm. International Computer Music Conference Utrecht.
- Einbond, A., Trapani, C., Agostini, A., Ghisi, D. and Schwarz, D. (2014). Fine-tuned control of concatenative synthesis with CataRT using the bach library for Max.
- Einbond, A., Trapani, C. and Schwarz, D. (2012). Precise pitch control in real time corpus-based concatenative synthesis.
- Einbond, A. and Schwarz, D. (2010). Spatializing timbre with corpus-based concatenative synthesis.
- Einbond, A., Schwarz, D. and Bresson, J. (2009). Corpus-based transcription as an approach to the compositional control of timbre.
- MacCallum, J. and Einbond, A. (2007). Real-time analysis of sensory dissonance.
- MacCallum, J., Hunt, J. and Einbond, A. (2005). Timbre as a psychoacoustic parameter for harmonic analysis and composition.
- Einbond, A. (2019). Disembodiment: Reproduction, transcription, and trace. Tempo (United Kingdom), 73(287), pp. 83–90. doi:10.1017/S0040298218000694.
- Einbond, A., Meireles, M. and Yarn/Wire, (2019). Cities [LP].
- Einbond, and Roche, H. (2015). Resistance on Ptelea [CD].
- Roche, H., Einbond, A., Morishita, C., Iddon, M., Bauck, M., Alvarez, P. … Murray, M. (2015). Patelea [CD].
- Einbond, and van Cauwenberghe, K. (2015). Silent Screen on Give My Regards to 116th Street [CD].
- Einbond, and Ensemble Dal Niente, (2013). Without Words [CD].
- Einbond, , Politano, A. and PRIME Recorder Ensemble, (2012). Just Like Starting Over on Spray [CD].
- Einbond, and Yarn Wire, (2010). Passagework on Tone Builders [CD].
- Einbond, (2015). CatOracle. Paris: IRCAM Forum.