International students
  1. My Country
  2. Visa & immigration
  3. Exchange & Study Abroad Programme
  4. Pathway programmes
  5. Pre-arrival Guide
  6. International Students Guide
  7. International Online Events
  8. Living in London
    1. Tier 4 student visa
    2. Short-term study visa
    3. Working in the UK
    4. Schengen visa
    5. Visitor Visas for Graduation
    6. News
    7. Student Life
    8. EEA Students
International students

Visa & immigration advice

City, University of London has an International Student Advice team who provide confidential advice and guidance to applicants and students on study-related visa and immigration issues

Tier 4 student visa

Find out how to apply for a Tier 4 General Student visa if you are a Non-EEA or Switzerland applicant studying a full time course.

Short-term Study Visas

Find out how to apply for a short-term study visa if you are coming to the UK to do a short course or a short period of research.

Working in the UK

Find out if and how you can work in the UK during or after your studies depending on which visa you have and which permissions you need.

Schengen visa

Find out about the Schengen Visa Scheme which allows travel between certain countries within the EEA and Switzerland using only one visa.

Visitor Visas for Graduation

Find out how to apply for a visa to attend your own graduation or your family members who may need to apply for visas to visit London.

Immigration News

Ensure you keep up to date with news regarding updates or changes for your UK Visa and your immigration requirements while studying.

Student Life

Aside from life at City, there are numerous ways to make the most of life in London and the UK

EEA Students

Find information on the requirements for studying in the UK if you're a national of an EEA country.

How we can help you

You will find all information for visa applications on our website. If you have any further questions, please send us a query by email (, come to our drop-in session or make an appointment to see an International Student Adviser.

The Student Centre opening hours are:-

  • Monday 9am - 5pm
  • Tuesday 9am - 5pm
  • Wednesday 9am - 5pm
  • Thursday 10.30am - 5pm
  • Friday 9am - 5pm

Due to the complex nature of immigration we do not offer advice by telephone, except by pre-arranged telephone interview where it is not possible for a student to attend in person.

Come and see us in our Drop-in advice sessions

The International Student Advice team run regular 'drop-in' sessions at the Student Centre, Northampton Square, to provide students with face-to-face advice and information on immigration matters. These offer the chance to speak to an adviser for up to 30 minutes without needing to make an appointment.

From 15th October we will be resuming our normal drop-in times, as below:


14:30 - 16:30


10:30 - 12:30

Student Centre (for Bunhill Row see below)
  • Please arrive early as the drop-ins are often very busy.
  • You will need to bring your passport and any other relevant documents with you.
  • Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis and we can usually only see a maximum of five people per session.
  • We will be providing additional drop-in sessions at Bunhill Row on certain advertised Mondays 14:00-17:00, term time only. Please come to the Cass MSc office during these times for more information.

Book an individual appointment

Appointments are intended for students who need specific support with a visa application, either before it is submitted or once an application has been refused. Students who have general questions about applying for a visa should read the guidance on this website, email us or attend a Drop-in session.

Students who are extending their visa are required to book an individual appointment to have your visa documents checked and submitted by an International Student Adviser. 45-minute appointments are usually available twice a week but it can be arranged at other times at the discretion of an adviser.

Wednesdays 10:00 - 13:00 Fridays 14:00 - 17:00

Book your appointment by emailing us with the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Your student number (if you are a current student)
  • Your contact telephone number
  • Summary of reasons for requesting appointment
  • Preferred day for appointment (Wednesday am or Friday pm)

Immigration advice and services regulated by the Immigration Services Commissioner

Immigration advice and services regulated by the Immigration Services Commissioner
International Student Advice Service: Statement of Service