Careers, Student Development and Outreach
  1. Your career
  2. City opportunities
  3. Recruiters
  4. Prospective Students
  5. About
  6. Recent Graduates
  1. International


Students with international skills have a wide variety of job prospects. Develop your international employability skills by going abroad, no matter where you want to go.

Working abroad

Finding vacancies abroad

Research your options

Useful vacancy sites

  • Goinglobal - international job board, internship listings, industry profiles and country-specific career information.  Access GoinGlobal through the link on CareersHub and register with your City email address.
  • CareersHub Vacancies - we advertise many international vacancies every year.
  • Gradlink - specific sites for Europe, China, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa, India, Bangladesh and Canada.
  • Look under Working Abroad on CareersHub's Resources section for international vacancy sites.
  • International Citizen Service - short term volunteer  experiences abroad.

Internships abroad

An internship abroad is a great way to get work experience and have an international experience at the same time.  This will be especially useful if you are planning to work abroad or return home to your native country after completing your degree.

Search for internships abroad at:

  • Our extensive list of international vacancy sites on CareersHub.
  • ErasmusIntern - an internship vacancy site for the European Union
  • GenerationUK - internships abroad through the British Council.

Internships in France, Spain, and some other European countries are restricted to currently enrolled students only.  If you are accepted for an internship in one of these countries, you may be asked to provide an internship agreement or convention de stage signed by your institution before starting your internship.  You should contact your school placements team or course office if you require this form.

Please note that you must be a currently enrolled student for the entire duration of the internship in order for City to provide an internship agreement or convention de stage.  We are not able to provide agreements for students who have already completed their course or who will complete their course during the internship.

If you need a convention de stage, please contact your school placements team:

Working in the UK for International Students

Working during your studies

Visa regulations

If you are on a Tier 4 visa, there are certain restrictions to the work you can do.  Normally work is restricted to 20 hours per week, but this may vary to 10 hours or not at all in some cases depending on your course of study.

  • PhD students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week for the entire duration of your course until the official end date stated on your CAS. Full-time work is only permitted during vacation periods which must be agreed in advance with your supervisor.
  • Undergraduates on a Tier 4 visa may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during official term dates, and are permitted to work full time during vacation periods.  You can find official undergraduate term dates here.
  • Postgraduate masters students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week for the entire duration of your course.  Full-time work is permitted only during Christmas and Easter vacation periods, and after the official course end date as stated on your CAS.

Finding part-time work

  • Temporary work at City is advertised on Unitemps.  There are a range of opportunities from one-day event assistant to regular office work available. Create an account online to receive regular email notifications of new positions.
  • Search for part-time positions on CareersHub. Employers contact us to advertise all types of opportunities.
  • You may also want to register with other temporary recruitment agencies specific to your field.

Sources of advice

  • Email the International Student Advice team at City at You can also book an appointment to see one of the International Student Advisers on CareersHub.  Choose the International Student Advice topic.
  • The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK's national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.  For more detailed guidance, visit their website.

Visa sponsorship

If you are on a Tier 4 student visa and want to work in the UK after you complete your degree, you will need to apply for a new visa.  Your visa options are:

Tier 2 (General)

Your employer sponsors you for this visa.  You will need to go through the employer's recruitment process, be offered a position that meets the sponsorship requirements and the employer must be willing to sponsor you.  Find more information about all aspects of this route.

If you decide to pursue this route, is it essential that you start searching for jobs and graduate schemes early and that you are fully prepared to succeed in the recruitment process. Book an appointment with a Careers Consultant to discuss your plans and improve your applications.

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)

The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa is for recent graduates who have a 'genuine and credible business idea and entrepreneurial skills'.  This visa is sponsored by your higher education institution.  Find out more about this scheme.

If you have a business idea and are interested in learning more about this route, book an appointment with the Enterprise Education team to discuss it.  You can book on CareersHub by choosing Business Idea Review.  If you don't see any available appointments, you can contact the team at

Find out more about this route.

Tier 5 (Youth MobilityScheme) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)

Students from certain countries may be eligible for the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa.

Certain types of internships, post-qualification training, and other temporary work may be eligible for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa.

You can find out more about both of these schemes here.

Please note that the Careers Service is not an expert on immigration.  If you would like to discuss your specific visa situation or obtaining one of  the visas above, please contact the International Student Advice Team at City.  You can also book an appointment with a member of the team via CareersHub by choosing Visa Advice for International Students.

Exchange Programmes

Why do study abroad?

Taking part in an exchange is a great way to get even more out of your university experience, meet colleagues in your field in other countries and benefit from the expertise of the academics at our partner institutions.

If you are interested in working abroad, a student exchange can be a good first step to experiencing life in another country.  Study Exchanges can help you develop cultural skills and learn how to navigate new environments, something that will be essential throughout your career.

Where can I go?

City, University of London offers exchange opportunities at partner institutions around the world. Student exchange durations can vary between one term to an entire academic year, dependent on the School you are currently studying at.

Explore the list of options for your course here.

Find out more about other international opportunities.

What do I need to do?

If you are interested in going on a student exchange, contact the exchanges team for your school:

City Exchange Programmes:

Cass Business School:

School of Arts and Social Sciences:

City Law School:

Global Careers Series

The Global Careers Series is a partnership between five University of London colleges, united by a desire to support more of our students realise their dream of an international career.

Events are intended for students and recent graduates who wish to pursue a career overseas in a country other than your home country, and hopes to provide globally-minded students with a chance to:

  • Network and connect with like-minded individuals and industry professionals.
  • Appreciate why experience around the world is such an incredible advantage for graduates in today's job market
  • Understand the challenges to working successfully in each of our event locations, and how these can be overcome

During the event you will have a chance to hear from our distinguished speakers, then you will be provided with an opportunity to ask questions and engage with our panellists.

There are five events this year:

  • China - hosted by King's College London
  • North America - hosted by Goldsmiths, University of London
  • South East Asia - hosted by UCL
  • Middle East - hosted by SOAS, University of London
  • Western Europe - hosted by City, University of London

Upcoming Global Careers Series events...