City's employability statement
Producing highly employable graduates is of central importance at City and we have an excellent employability record, ranking in the top 10 UK universities for graduate starting salaries*.
*According to the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey (DLHE), 2012-13.
A focus on employability: City and your career
Degree courses at City are renowned for their focus on the theoretical and practical skills that employers value. Through our emphasis on academic excellence and our close links with business and professions, City supports its students as they develop the intellectual capacity, core skills and personal attributes necessary for a rewarding lifelong career.
The Careers Service exists to enhance the employability and capability of all our students. We are committed to making sure that the time you spend at City prepares you for the graduate job market, so that you can thrive in a competitive, knowledge-based global economy.
City's central London location means that you will have the opportunity to interact with a range of employers that regularly hire students from City: we do our utmost to make sure that it is as easy as possible for companies to visit City and talk to students. We also meet regularly with industry bodies, like the Association of Graduate Recruiters, to ensure that we stay abreast of the ever-changing and highly competitive labour market, so that we continue to prepare our students for their future.
Our approach to employability is coordinated across City to ensure that you have access to the information and services you need. Our activities are designed to help you develop and demonstrate the skills you need to be successful in your chosen industry, placing you at a distinct advantage when you are talking to recruiters. We emphasise the development of strong employability skills in both your academic life at City and in your broader student experience.
Five core principles shape what we do at Careers:
- We encourage you to engage with the employability skills agenda early in your time at City.
- We make sure employability skills are embedded into every aspect of your student experience.
- We invite a wide range of employers to visit our campuses throughout the year, making sure that the opportunities to meet them fit in with your needs.
- We highlight opportunities for work experience, internships and placements to give you plenty of chances to engage with industry during your studies.
- We are sensitive to the changing needs of our students and the evolving nature of the graduate market.