Work as a Widening Participation ambassador
Applications to be a WP Ambassador in 2017/18 will open on 18th September 2017.
Working as a Widening Participation Student Ambassador is a great way to develop your communication and teamwork skills and contribute to a fairer society by tackling barriers to Higher Education in your local area. Once hired, you can sign up to as many different types of outreach work as you like - you could help on school visit days, at taster weeks, or become a tutor at a neighbouring school.
Applications will open at 10am on 18th September 2017. The application deadline is Friday 6th October at 5pm.
Develop and deliver a seminar for young people
- We are currently recruiting students to design and deliver engaging, thought-provoking seminars, which will inspire young people to study at university.
- The seminar should focus on a particular academic subject. Previous examples include 'Biomedical Imaging' or 'Expect the Unexpected: Psychology studies that change the way you think'. You would deliver your seminar as part of various outreach events for young people between the ages of 9 and 18 years old.
- Click here for the form
Applications are closed for the 2017-18 year. Applications for the 2018-19 intake will open in March 2018.
- All tutoring takes place on Wednesday afternoons, with most placements beginning at 1:30pm.
- City Tutors work with pupils from under-represented backgrounds, from as young as Year 5 (9/10 year olds) all the way to Year 13 (17/18 year olds). Tutoring can be one-to-one or in small groups, and is predominantly for those who are struggling with Mathematics or English.
- Placements are at schools or colleges around London with the majority being in the Islington area.
- Tutors are paid for preparation time, as well as the time spent with the pupils, and reimbursed for travel expenses. Tutoring takes place weekly for a minimum of one hour and runs from October to April, with optional sessions depending on availability until mid-July.