Become a Professional Mentee
Your development journey starts here.
Our Professional Mentoring scheme matches students with experienced professionals with a view to developing their skills, confidence and future employability.
Applications for the November wave are now closed. Applications for the February wave will be open in December 2017.
- The November wave starts with the Introduction Evening on November 30th and lasts for 6 months until the end of May.
- The February wave starts with the Introduction Evening on February 28th and lasts 6 months until the end of August.
Why join the Professional Mentoring scheme at City?
- You will be provided an excellent opportunity to develop your confidence and employability skills and professional network.
- You will receive one-to-one support and guidance on your CV and your career plans.
- You will gain insight into your related field as well as the industry recruitment process and labour market.
- You will be given a pathway to become a highly employable graduate.
How can this scheme help you?
This is a programme designed to assist students who:
- are first generation in to university
- consider themselves to be disabled
- have spent time in Local Authority care
- are embarking on a new career path through postgraduate study
- have had less experience within the workforce and would like to know how to make the most of the skills and knowledge derived from their studies
- at a crossroads; lacking confidence; or unsure how to kick-start their intended career.
Our professional mentors come from a variety of professional backgrounds and have developed comprehensive knowledge and expertise within their field.
- 73% of our mentors are alumni of City.
- Over 20 of our mentees have recently re-joined the scheme as mentors.
- All of our mentors have a specific drive to develop students just starting out on their career journey.
Companies our mentors work in
|Allen & Overy Llp|
|Alpha R Cubed Ltd/Bgt Edge|
|Alpha Real Capital|
|Amec Foster Wheeler|
|Analypsis Consulting Ltd|
|Angel Equity International Ltd|
|Ar&T Planning Ltd|
|Arcadia Group Limited|
|Ardmore Healthcare Ltd|
|Assocation For Financial Markets In Europe (Afme)|
|Association Of Graduate Recruiters|
|Atris Techniki Sa|
|Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Sa|
|Bark And Co|
|Battersea Power Station|
|British Standards Institution|
|British Transport Police|
|Can Insurance Company Ltd|
|Central And North West London Nhs Foundation Trust|
|Centre For Psychology|
|Chartered Insurance Institute|
|Chartered Wealth Manager|
|Chelsea Apps Factory|
|Chronos Advisory Ltd|
|City And Hackney Mind|
|City Of London Coorporation|
|City, University Of London|
|City, University Of London Students' Union|
|Concrete Repairs And Centura Group|
|Coretech, A Wpp Company|
|Correlation Risk Partners|
|Cotiviti Europe Ltd|
|Creating Outcomes Ltd|
|Cushman & Wakefield|
|Daily Express Online|
|Department For International Trade|
|Department Of Energy & Climate Change Of The UK Government|
|Direct Line Group|
|Disability Law Service|
|Dods Parliamentary Communications|
|European Medicines Agency|
|Eurostar International Limited|
|Fidelity Worldwide Investments|
|Fisher Meredith Solicitors|
|Fortune Green Legal Practice|
|General Electric - Corporate Finance Bank|
|General Medical Council|
|Goldsmiths Students' Union|
|Guy's & St Thomas Nhs Foundation Trust|
|Hale And Company Llp|
|Hardman Structural Engineers|
|Heyne Tillett Steel|
|Hitachi Consulting Uk|
|Homerton University Hospital|
|Human After All|
|Human Rights Watch|
|Idom Merebrook Ltd.|
|Imperial College Business School|
|Independent Audit Limited|
|Informer East Africa|
|J. Murphy & Sons|
|John Lewis Partnership|
|K Szlichcinski Associates Ltd|
|Kesar And Co Solicitors|
|Lead Financial Blogger & Online Reporter|
|Learning And Work Institute|
|Legal & General Assurance Society Plc|
|Legal And General Investment Management|
|Lloyds Banking Group|
|London & Partners|
|London Ambulance Service Nhs Trust|
|London Stock Exchange Group|
|M & D Education Consultants|
|Malik And Malik|
|Marshall Aerospace And Defence Froup|
|Martin Redston Associates|
|Media Law International|
|Metropolitan Grand Lodge|
|Mindful Bites Ltd|
|Mlex Market Insight|
|Munawar Management Consulting Ltd. / Lloyds Banking Group|
|Natural History Museum|
|Newly Retired ( Aug 2016) From Royal Opera House Bridge|
|North Asset Management|
|Nuf Consultancy Ltd|
|Nursing And Midwifery Council|
|Pa Consulting Group|
|Pinsent Masons Llp|
|Power Way Hk Dev Ltd|
|Premium Credit Limited|
|Price Waterhouse Cooper|
|Private Equity Analyst|
|Progressive Customer Publishing|
|Public Health England|
|Queen Mary University|
|Re (Capital Joint Venture Barnet Council)|
|Recolte Capital Ltd|
|Regulatory Finance Solutions|
|Robert West Consulting|
|Royal Bank Of Scotland Plc|
|Rsa Insurance Group Plc|
|Sacred Heart Catholic School|
|Santander Uk Plc|
|Savills Uk Limited|
|Scor Global Life Uk|
|Sei Investments (Europe) Ltd|
|Senior Associate Assurance/Consulting|
|Senior Support Worker/Trainee Counsellor/Psychotherapist /Development Worker|
|Shepherd Lamalle Film & Animation|
|Sierra Leone Maritime Administration|
|Slater And Gordon Lawyers|
|South England Conference Of Seventh-Day Adventists|
|Splyt Technologies Ltd.|
|Steel And Shamash|
|Tecosim Technical Simulation Uk Ltd|
|Telford Homes Plc|
|The Business Of Fashion|
|The Coaching Collective|
|The Currency Account|
|The El-Bethel Faith Int.Ministries|
|The Hospital Club|
|The Methoidst Church/City, Uofl|
|The Natural History Museum|
|Thomson Screening Solutions|
|Times Of India Group, Mid-Day Publications, Asian News International|
|Tm It Consulting|
|To Children With Love (Russia)|
|Tokio Marine Kiln|
|Travelers Syndicate Management|
|Turner & Townsend|
|UK Magazines Ltd|
|University College London|
|University College London Hospitals Nhs Trust|
|University Of Greenwich|
|Vattenfall Wind Power|
|Wandsworth Borough Council|
|Wardour Studios Ltd|
|Willis Towers Watson|
|Zenospace International Limited|
- Please read the mentee information sheet and all information provided to understand the nature of the scheme and the commitment required before you apply.
- This is a competitive scheme based on need, so please answer questions as clearly as possible. Your answer will help us in assessing whether this is the right opportunity for you.
- We will also ask you to upload a jpeg file of yourself (passport photo style) before you submit your application form. Photographs are used by the Professional Mentoring Team as a method of identifying mentee candidates throughout the selection process.
- You will receive a confirmation email after you submit your application. All further communication, including confirmation that you have been shortlisted for interview, will take place via email.
- If you are shortlisted you will be invited to a 15-minute interview. You must be able to attend an interview and one training session.
- If you are shortlisted you will need to log in to CareersHub to select an interview timeslot (offered on a first-come, first-served basis). This will confirm your attendance. More information on the interview booking procedure is provided on the application form. You will need to keep track of this appointment through CareersHub as there will be no further reminders.
- Only successful candidates will be contacted and invited to interview. It is important to understand that this programme is designed to assist those with clearly identifiable development needs.
- Successful candidates must attend an evening training session and the Introduction Evening where you will meet your mentor for the first time.
Once a Mentee:
- As a mentee on this programme you are a representative of City. This is a professional relationship. You are expected to conduct your relationship in a professional manner and in a style befitting your membership of City as a collegiate community.
- This is not a work placement or internship scheme but a development opportunity.
- The scheme is aimed at students who don't get professional insight into industry as part of their course (e.g. courses that offer work placements as part of the qualification).
- The scheme enables mentors to pass on employability skills, knowledge, and experience and we try to allocate you a mentor from your specific field of study/interest however this cannot always be guaranteed.
- You are expected to display a proactive approach to your relationship with your mentor, with a commitment of at least 12 hours of quality contact time with your mentor during the scheme.
- The Professional Mentoring team reserves the right to remove students from the process - at any point - if it is assessed that selected participants are not abiding by the etiquette of the scheme and the code of conduct.
- If you have been accepted on to our undergraduate stream unfortunately we cannot consider your application for participation in this postgraduate stream. However, if you were not successful in gaining a place on our undergraduate stream and you are now a postgraduate studying at City, you are welcome to apply. Unfortunately, due to limited time and resources we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.
We are nationally accredited by NCVO.
Who do I contact?
Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org