Visiting the team
If you are City student or recent graduate you can book an appointment with one of our career consultants. We offer three main types of appointment to suit different requirements: overview appointments, career guidance appointments and mock interview appointments.
Postgraduate (MSc and MBA) students at City's Business School have a dedicated Careers team located at Bunhill Row. If you are a postgraduate student in Business please visit the Cass Careers site.
Please click here to read our Appointment Policy.
Why book an overview appointment?
Arrange a 20-minute session with one of our careers consultants.
We can offer professional advice on:
- Your CV
- Completing applications
- Writing covering letters
- General career queries
How does it work?
You can book your appointment online:
- 20 minute appointments can be booked from 5:30 pm, 3 days in advance.
- 40 minute appointments can be booked from 9:00 am, 2 weeks in advance. Please try to book at least 3 days in advance for mock interviews.
- You can only book one appointment of each type at a time.
Please make sure you are on time. If you are more than ten minutes late, you will be marked as absent.
If you are unable to come to campus, you can choose to have your appointment via telephone or Skype. You will be asked to provide your Skype username and attach your documents to the appointment. Please be available at the start time of the appointment.
What should I bring?
Bring printed copies of any documents you want checked: CV, cover letter, applications.
If you would like to make an appointment for a CV check we recommend you review our 'Writing a CV' career guide. You may also wish to check our events schedule to see when the next CV workshop is running.
Career Guidance Appointment
Why book a career guidance appointment?
This 40-minute session is an opportunity to have an in-depth discussion about your career ideas and plans with an experienced adviser. This occurs on a confidential, one-to-one basis.
What will happen during my appointment?
The agenda for the appointment will be agreed at the start of the session according to your own requirements and could include:
- Discussion on specific career areas open to you and relevant labour market information
- The process of job search and selection
- Changing or leaving a course
- Finding work and study opportunities
- Discussing work experience options
- Helping you to identify and analyse the skills you have to offer
- Discussion on issues relating to the transition from study to work
- Support to improve your interview skills (mock interview).
If you are unable to come to campus, you can choose to have your appointment via telephone or Skype. You will be asked to provide your telephone number or Skype username. Please be available at the start time of the appointment.
How do I prepare for my appointment?
To prepare for your appointment think about:
- What you want to discuss
- The reasons for booking/coming to an appointment.
For more help, you can make use of the other facilities available to you in the Careers Centre such as:
- Reading information in the library or reading our Career Guides
- Booking an overview appointment for an initial discussion
- Using Prospects Planner before the session to enable the consultant to discuss the results with you.
Please note: All our guidance work is confidential, impartial and accessible in line with the AGCAS Code of Practice on Guidance.
Mock Interview Appointment
Why book a mock interview appointment?
This 40-minute mock interview is to offer you the opportunity to have a trial run of a real interview.
What are the benefits?
A mock interview allows you to practise answering relevant interview questions and then receive feedback on your responses. The careers consultant will use information you provide about the job to try and predict interview questions that the employer may ask you.
How does it work?
You can book your appointment online.
When you book the appointment you will be asked to attach the following documents:
- The CV or application form which you submitted for the job
- A full job description and person specification listing the skills that the employer is looking for.
If you are unable to come to campus, you can choose to have your appointment via Skype. You will be asked to provide your Skype username. Please be available at the start time of your appointment.
Please note: The consultant will require three working days to prepare for your mock interview. If your interview is at short notice, do still book an appointment and we will be able to conduct a generic mock interview. In this case, the appointment will focus on general interview questions and a discussion of interview technique, rather than being specifically tailored.
All our guidance work is confidential, impartial and accessible in line with the AGCAS Code of Practice on Guidance.
You can also book appointments with other careers-related services through CareersHub.
If you are interested in starting your own business, you can get advice from the Enterprise office. These appointments cover business idea review, business development, and finance. You can also find out about the Start-Up Visa.