London EC1V 0HB
Professor Tim Connell joined City in 1990 setting up the Centre for Language Studies from scratch. He served on Senate between 1997 and 2002 and again from 2007 to 2009. He chaired the Joint Negotiating Committee between management and unions for nine years. In 1998 he set up and ran until 2009, the external language centre at the Bishopsgate Institute.
Professor Connell writes regularly, including book reviews for The Linguist and has also published letters in The Times, the Daily Telegraph and the Evening Standard. He holds a life-long fellowship at Gresham College and is a visiting professor at Richmond International University. He is a Court Assistant at the Worshipful Company of Stationers, a specialist adviser to the All-Party Parliamentary Languages Group, and an adjudicator for the Queen's Anniversary Prize.
He is Emeritus Professor at City, University of London and holds the degree of Doctor of Letters (the only one ever awarded by the University by publication).
- MA Spanish and French, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- BPhil Latin American Studies, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
- DLitt, City, University of London, United Kingdom
- PGCE, London, United Kingdom
- Professor, City, University of London, Jan 1997 – Jan 2009
- Director of Language Studies, City, University of London, Jan 1990 – Jan 1996
- Fellow since 2000, Honorary Life Fellow since 2009, Gresham College
Memberships of committees
- Adjudicator, Queen's Anniversary Prizes, 2012 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, All Party Parliamentary Languages Group, 2012 – present
- Court Assistant, Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers, 2011 – present
- Chairman, The Gresham Society, 2006 – present
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers, 2005 – present
- Vice-President, Chartered Institute of Linguists, 2003 – present
- Member of Court, University of Liverpool, 1996 – 2009
- Freeman, City of London, 1996 – present
- Member, Canning House, 1980 – present
- The Teaching Awards Trust (2002) National Teaching Award
French, Portuguese and Spanish; Castilian.
Publications by category
- Connell, T. (2019). Canning House: The History. Canning House - The Hispanic and Luso Brazilian Council.
- Connell, T. (2018). Language Learning by Different Means: Formal and Informal Developments. Languages after Brexit (pp. 195–205). Springer International Publishing.
- Connell, T. and McDowall, B. (2018). Get Smart About Scandals: Past Lessons For Future Finance. Cardano Foundation.
- Organiser of Exhibition on the Life of Sir Thomas Gresham, Guildhall (2019).