- Uddin, N., Ayers, S., Khine, R. and Webb, R. (2022). The perceived impact of birth trauma witnessed by maternity health professionals: A systematic review. Midwifery, 114, pp. 103460–103460. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2022.103460.
- Bockhold, S., McNulty, J., Abdurakman, E., Bezzina, P., Drey, N., England, A. … Malamateniou, C. (2022). Research ethics training, challenges, and suggested improvements across Europe: Radiography research ethics standards for Europe (RRESFE). Radiography, 28(4), pp. 1016–1024. doi:10.1016/j.radi.2022.07.004.
- Bockhold, S., McNulty, J., Abdurakman, E., Bezzina, P., Drey, N., England, A. … Malamateniou, C. (2022). Research ethics systems, processes, and awareness across Europe: Radiography research ethics standards for Europe (RRESFE). Radiography, 28(4), pp. 1032–1041. doi:10.1016/j.radi.2022.07.002.
- Khine, R.N.M. and Stewart-Lord, A. (2021). An examination of Advanced Clinical Practice: Qualitative insights from therapeutic radiography advanced and consultant practitioners based in England. Technical Innovations & Patient Support in Radiation Oncology, 17, pp. 97–101. doi:10.1016/j.tipsro.2020.12.003.
- Armstrong-James, L., Khine, R.N.M., Thorne, R.J., Tuckey, M.J.E. and Bennett, C. (2020). Radiotherapy students’ perceptions of support provided by clinical supervisors. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice, 19(1), pp. 15–19. doi:10.1017/s1460396919000426.
- Flinton, D., Cherry, P., Thorne, R., Mannion, L., O’Sullivan, C. and Khine, R. (2018). Compassion satisfaction and fatigue: an investigation into levels being reported by radiotherapy students. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice, 17(4), pp. 364–367. doi:10.1017/s1460396918000274.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Ricardo Khine commenced his training as therapeutic radiographer in 1997 based at both the Ipswich NHS Trust Hospital and University College Suffolk. Since qualification, he has worked in a number of radiotherapy departments in the UK up to a Superintendent III grade (Band 8a), gaining a breadth of experience in treatment, planning/dosimetry and education. He has also worked internationally in radiotherapy departments in Melbourne, Australia and Las Vegas, USA. With an interest in teaching and education, he became a full time academic lecturer in 2009 at City, University of London teaching on the foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. He became postgraduate programme director in 2015. He later moved to London South Bank University to develop and lead the postgraduate radiotherapy course. He returned to City, University of London in 2018, appointed as Divisional Lead for Midwifery and Radiography and Senior Lecturer in Radiotherapy & Oncology.
In January 2021 he was appointed Associate Professor and Associate Head of School [School Health Care and Social Work] at Buckinghamshire New University. Currently, he is in a strategic leadership role as Head of School, School of Health and Social Care Professions, but still contributes to teaching on the Radiotherapy & Oncology programme in his capacity as Honorary / Visiting Senior Lecturer.
He gained his PhD from City, University of London in 2017. His research area focuses on radiographer role development, specifically the impact of the Consultant Therapeutic Radiographer role in clinical practice.
In September 2022 he was promoted to Professor in recognition of his contribution to professional practice and education.
- PhD Radiography, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Jan 2011 – Sep 2017
- Associate Applied Science (High Hons) Radiation Therapy Technology, College of Southern Nevada, Las Vegas, United States, Jun 2008 – Dec 2009
- MA Interprofessional Healthcare Education, University of East Anglia, United Kingdom, Sep 2005 – Sep 2007
- BSc (Hons) Therapeutic Radiography, University of East Anglia, United Kingdom, Sep 1997 – Jul 2000
- Member of the Senior Management Team for the School of Health Sciences
- Member of Board of Studies
- Member of Undergraduate Forum
- Member of Postgraduate Forum
- Divisional Lead - Midwifery and Radiography, City, University of London, Jan 2018 – Jan 2021
- Senior Lecturer & Postgraduate Lead in Therapeutic Radiography, London South Bank University, Apr 2016 – Jan 2018
- Lecturer in Radiotherapy & Oncology, City University London, Sep 2009 – Apr 2016
- Senior Therapeutic Radiographer (Locum), Colchester General Hospital, Jan – Sep 2009
- Radiation Therapist (Pre. Registered), College of Southern Nevada / 21st Century Oncology, May 2008 – Jan 2009
- Superintendent III Radiographer/Lecturer Practitioner, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, Dec 2003 – Dec 2007
- Deputy Charge Radiation Therapist / Clinical Educator, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Jul 2002 – Oct 2003
- Therapeutic Radiographer, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, Jul 2000 – Jun 2002
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy, Oct 2018 – present
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, Sep 2010 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Health and Care Professions Council(HCPC)
- Society and College of Radiographers
Burmese (can speak and understand spoken) and English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Teaching & Assessment
RC1032 Common Module
RT1033 Principles of Radiotherapy Practice
RT1034 Anatomy, Physiology and Oncology 1
RT1035 Anatomy, Physiology and Oncology 2
RT1036 Radiotherapy Equipment
RT2032 Management and Radiotherapy Technique A
RT2034 Radiotherapy Physics and Planning
RT3033 Management and Radiotherapy Technique B
RC3031 Research Exercise
RT1036 Principles of Radiotherapy Practice
RCM124 Physics and Instrumentation of Medical Magnetic Resonance
RDM017 Clinical Applications of Medical Magnetic Resonance
Programme Director - Postgraduate Radiography (CT / MMR)
Ricardo's doctoral thesis focused on the professional and organisational impact of the consultant therapeutic radiographer adopting case study methodology.
He is a qualitative researcher and has experience in research methods including focus groups, interviews, document analysis. He has supervised students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Publications by category
Conference papers and proceedings (3)
- Willis, (2015). Inclusive relationships with service users: what are the benefits? Learning at City Conference – Is Learning for Everyone?.
- Willis, , Thorne, R.J. and Khine, R.N.M. (2015). The effectiveness of a multifaceted strategy to embed service user participation within the curriculum. Networking for Education in Healthcare (NET).
- Willis, , Walls, D. and Khine, R.N.M. (2014). A reflexive account of academics perspectives of embracing internationalisation within healthcare education. Networking for Education Conference.
Journal articles (6)
- Thorne, R., Bennett, C., Armstrong-Jones, L., Tuckey, M. and Khine, R. Improving Retention in Radiotherapy - Delivering an Intervention to Enable Clinical Supervisors to Support and Nurture Students to Achieve their Full Potential. The College of Radiographers Annual Radiotherapy Conference 2020, 2020.
- Flinton, D., Cherry, P., Thorne, R., Mannion, L., O'Sullivan, C. and Khine, R. Compassion Satisfaction and Compassion Fatigue in Student Therapeutic Radiographers. European Society for Radiotherapy & Oncology (ESTRO). Barcelona, Spain., 2018.
- Khine, R.N.M., Flinton, D., Cherry, P. and Thorne, R. PO-1016: Radiotherapy students’ perceptions of skills training simulation using a bariatric suit. , 2016.
- A reflexive account of academics perspectives of embracing internationalisation within healthcare education. (Conference) (2014).
Description: Willis SJ, Walls D, Khine RNM. Networking for Education Conference, 2014: 25
- Interprofessional Perspectives and Perceptions of the Consultant Therapy Radiographer. (2013).
Description: UKRO (United Kingdom Radiation Oncology Conference)
- Under the Spotlight: Exploring the Role of the Consultant Therapy Radiographer through the Perspectives of Medical and Healthcare Practitioners - a Qualitative Inquiry. (2013).
Description: College of Radiographers Annual Radiotherapy Conference
- Interprofessional perspectives and perceptions of the consultant therapy radiographer. (2012).
Description: Annual Postgraduate Research Symposium City University London
- College of Radiographers External Examiner
College of Radiographers Assessor.
- Journal Reviewer - Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice.