London EC1V 0HB
Rachel is a lecturer specialising in critical care nursing who first joined City University in 2000 as a Cardiac Lecturer Practitioner linking with Barts and The London hospitals. She became a full time Lecturer in Critical Care Nursing in 2004.
Rachel has specialised in cardiac critical care nursing throughout her career - working at Harefield Hospital and the Royal Brompton National Heart & Lung Hospitals (now Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust), both renowned centres of excellence for cardiothoracic and transplant patient care. She also has also worked in cardiology (CCU) and was the Senior Sister for Cardiac Practice Development across Barts & The London NHS Trust before making the transition into teaching at City University.
Rachel's research for her MSc in Teaching and Learning explored the educational support needs of overseas qualified nurses with English as a second language.
Rachel continues to practice and maintain her skills and works as a Bank Nurse in the Adult Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit at Harefield Hospital, alongside her position at City University.
- Registered Nurse Teacher, Nursing and Midwifery Council, United Kingdom, Jan 2007
- Registered Nurse, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, United Kingdom, Nov 1985
- MSc in Teaching and Learning (Post Compulsory), University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Admissions Tutor, City, University of London, Sep 2019 – present
- Lecturer in Critical Care Nursing, City University, Jan 2004 – present
- Lecturer Practitioner, Barts & The London NHS Trust/City University, London, Sep 2000 – Dec 2004
- Senior Sister: Cardiac Practice Development, Barts & The London NHS Trust, Nov 1998 – Aug 2000
- Project Nurse: Collaborative Care (North Thames Region), Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare Trust, Apr 1996 – Nov 1998
Publications by category
- Grant, R.A. and Olson, K. (2014). Bradycardias and blocks. In Olson, K. (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Cardiac Nursing (pp. 213–242). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-965134-4.
- Grant, R. (2014). Cardiac Assessment. In Olson, K. (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Cardiac Nursing (pp. 25–68). Oxford: OUP Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-103944-7.
- Grant, R.A. and Rawlings-Anderson, K. (2007). Cardiac Assessment. In Johnson, K. and Rawlings-Anderson, K. (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Cardiac Nursing Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-857072-1.
- Grant, R.A. and Johnson, K. (2007). Bradycardias and Blocks. In Johnson, K. and Rawlings-Anderson, K. (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Cardiac Nursing Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-857072-1.
Clinical activity (2)
- SSN (Bank) Intensive Care Unit (Harefield Hospital), Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust, Nov 2011 – May 2018
- Link Lecturer - Oncology Wards, Theatres, Breast and Fertility Clinics, Barts and The London NHS Trust
- Journal of Cardiac Nursing
British Journal of Nursing, Reviewer, Sep 2017 – present.