- Barelli, M. (2018). Preventing and Responding to Atrocity Crimes: China, Sovereignty and the Responsibility to Protect. Journal of Conflict & Security Law, 23(2), pp. 173–201. doi:10.1093/jcsl/kry016.
- Barelli, M. (2012). Free, prior and informed consent in the aftermath of the UN declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples: Developments and challenges ahead. International Journal of Human Rights, 16(1), pp. 1–24. doi:10.1080/13642987.2011.597746.
- Barelli, M. (2011). Shaping indigenous self-determination: Promising or unsatisfactory solutions. International Community Law Review, 13(4), pp. 413–436. doi:10.1163/187197311X599450.
- Barelli, M. (2010). The Interplay Between Global and Regional Human Rights Systems in the Construction of the Indigenous Rights Regime. Human Rights Quarterly, 32(4), pp. 951–979. doi:10.1353/hrq.2010.0018.
- Barelli, M. (2009). The Role of Soft Law in the International Legal System: the case of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 58(4), pp. 957–983. doi:10.1017/S0020589309001559.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr Mauro Barelli is a Reader at The City Law School. Before joining City in 2009, he taught at Cardiff University, where, in 2012, he also obtained his PhD. He teaches Public International Law and International Human Rights Law to LLB students, and runs a course on Minority and Indigenous Peoples' Rights for LLM students. Dr Barelli has been a visiting fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, and a visiting lectuter at the University of Nanjing, the University of Iceland and the University of Trento. He is interested in the rights of ethno-cultural groups, especially indigenous peoples, the law on the use of force and Chinese perspectives on international law. His expertise has been sought by national governments, national parliaments and leading international NGOs. Governmental institutions, international NGOs and United Nations bodies have all referred to his work.
- PhD, Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- LLM, University of Bristol, UK
- LLB, University of Milan - Bicocca, Italy
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London
- Reader, City, University London, Aug 2020 – present
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Aug 2013 – Jul 2020
- Lecturer, City, University of London, Sep 2009 – Jul 2013
- Associate Tutor, Cardiff University, 2007 – 2009
Memberships of professional organisations
- International Law Association (UK branch)
- Higher Education Academy
Title of thesis: Old Court, New Crimes: The International Court of Justice and the Adjudication of Mass Atrocity Crimes
Summary of research
Examination of recent phenomena (e.g. The Gambia v Myanmar, the forthcoming Crimes Against Humanity Convention, forthcoming proceedings The Netherlands v Syria) indicating the emergence of the International Court of Justice as an adjudicator of mass atrocity crimes and its impact on the aims of international justice as well as on other international legal justice mechanisms.
- Sahar Sadoughi, Research Student
Alex Gilder (completed - June 2020)
Attendance: Jun 2020
Thesis title: The Operationalisation of Human Security in UN Stabilization Mandates
Dimitrios Arvanitis (completed - November 2017)
Attendance: Nov 2017
Thesis title: Collaboration and Contract Management in the Context of Offshore Oil and Gas Contracts
Neel Thomas (completed - September 2016, University of Sheffield)
Attendance: Sep 2016
Thesis title: A Counter Hegemonic Reconceptualisation of Free, Prior and Informed Consent in an Era of Development Aggression: Indigenous Peoples and Resistance
Thesis title: ASEAN’s Approaches to the Conceptualisation and Implementation of R2P
Thesis title: FPIC in the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
Publications by category
- Barelli, M. (2016). Seeking justice in international law: The significance and implications of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. ISBN 978-1-138-01796-2.
- Barelli, M., Guliyeva, G., Errico, S. and Pentassuglia, G. (2011). Minority Groups and Litigation: A Review of Developments in International and Regional Jurisprudence. London: Minority Rights Group International. ISBN 978-1-907919-17-6.
- Barelli, M. (2018). Free, Prior and Informed Consent in the United Nations
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. In Weller, M. and Hohmann, J. (Eds.), Oxford Commentaries on International Law: A Commentary on the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples OUP. ISBN 978-0-19-967322-3.
- Barelli, M. (2016). Development projects and indigenous peoples' land: Defining the scope of free, prior and informed consent. In Lennox, C. and Short, D. (Eds.), Handbook of Indigenous Peoples' Rights Routledge. ISBN 978-1-136-31385-1.
- Barelli, M. (2015). The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: a Human Rights Framework for Intellectual Property Rights. In Rimmer, M. (Ed.), Indigenous Intellectual Property: A Handbook of Contemporary Research, Edward Elgar.
- Barelli, M. and Guliyeva, G. (2011). The Right to Political Participation. Minority Groups and Litigation: A Review of Developments in International and Regional Jurisprudence London: Minority Rights Group International. ISBN 978-1-907919-17-6.
- Barelli, M. (2011). Land Rights. Minority Groups and Litigation: A Review of Developments in International and Regional Jurisprudence London: Minority Rights Group International. ISBN 978-1-907919-17-6.
Internet publications (3)
- Barelli, M. (2020). Two opposing commitments? Towards a synchronised protection of biodiversity and indigenous peoples’ rights. Völkerrechtsblog.
- Barelli, M. (2019). Why Aung San Suu Kyi is in The Hague Defending Myanmar against Allegations of Genocide? The Conversation.
- Barelli, M. (2010). Centre for Minority Rights Development (Kenya) and Minority Rights Group International on behalf of Endorois Welfare Council v. Kenya, African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (Case Comment). UK Network on Minority Groups and Human Rights’ Newsletter.
Journal articles (5)
- Barelli, M. (2017). Indigenous Peoples’ Status in the International Legal System (by Mattias Åhrén).
- Barelli, M. (2017). China’s Use of Military Force in Foreign Affairs: the Dragon Strikes, Journal of Conflict and Security Law 22:3 2017.
- Barelli, M. (2008). Indigenous Rights and United Nations Standards: Self-determination, Culture and Land (by Alexandra Xanthaki).
- China and Humanitarian Crises: an International Law Perspective. Centre for Comparative and Public Law, Hong Kong University (2019).
Author: Mauro Barelli
- China and the Responsibility to Protect. University of Maastricht (2017).
- The Implications of Brexit: an International Law Perspective. University of Nanjing (2017).
- Conflict, Indigenous Peoples and Natural Resources: New International Law Perspectives. University of Trento (2017).
- Ethno-cultural groups and international law-making: the identity and action of the indigenous movement. University of Lancaster (2016).
- The Global Indigenous Movement and International Law-Making. University of Brighton (2016).
Description: Social Movements and Protest: Future Challenges for Research and Practice (Conference)
- The Responsibility to Protect in International Law: Reality or Fantasy? University of Nanjing (2016).
- Seeking Justice in International Law: the Significance and Implications of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. University of Iceland (2016).
- Justice in International Law: the Legal, Political and Moral Dimensions of Indigenous Peoples' Rights. University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, Canada) (2014).
- Indigenous Peoples and the Dynamics of International Law. International Law and Affairs Group, City University London (2014).
- Indigenous Peoples, Justice, and International Law. Visiting Fellows' Seminar Series, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, Cambridge University, (2013).
- Indigenous Access to Justice and the Roles of International, Statutory, Common, and Customary Law, The Commonwealth’s First Nations: Rights, Status and Struggles in the run up to the UN World Conference on Indigenous Peoples. Institute of Commonwealth Studies, London University (2013).
- Expert Workshop on Current Challenges Facing Indigenous Peoples - Lands, Resources and Extractive Industry. Human Rights Consortium, School of Advanced Study, University of London (2013).
- Understanding the Indigenous Right to Self-determination. International Law and Affair Group Research Seminar, The City Law School, City University London (2011).
- The Just Accommodation of Indigenous Peoples Rights under International Law,. Workshop on Minorities, Indigenous Peoples and Human Rights: International and Comparative Perspectives, Liverpool University (2009).
- The Value of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Effectiveness of the Indigenous Rights Regime,. SLSA Annual Conference, University of Leicester (2009).
- International Law, Global Justice and the Emerging Regime of Indigenous Rights, First International Conference on Cordillera Studies: Indigenous Peoples & Local Communities in Transition. University of the Philippines-Baguio, Baguio City, Philippines (2008).
- 2005 - 2006 Counsel on Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide before the International Court of Justice, Government of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- May 2019 - Expert Witness, Standing Senate Committee on Aboriginal Peoples, Senate of Canada.