- Isaacs, A., Spires, M., Halloran, A. and Stridsland, T. (2022). Gathering data on food environments and food practices through photo elicitation in Copenhagen, Denmark: Implications for adapting the EAT-LANCET reference diet to local circumstances. Cities & Health pp. 1–17. doi:10.1080/23748834.2022.2078072.
- Laar, A.K., Addo, P., Aryeetey, R., Agyemang, C., Zotor, F., Asiki, G. … Holdsworth, M. (2022). Perspective: Food Environment Research Priorities for Africa—Lessons from the Africa Food Environment Research Network. Advances in Nutrition, 13(3), pp. 739–747. doi:10.1093/advances/nmac019.
- Spires, M., Delobelle, P., Sanders, D. and Puoane, T. (2021). Using photography to explore people with diabetes’ perspectives on food environments in urban and rural South Africa. Health Promotion International, 36(1), pp. 120–131. doi:10.1093/heapro/daaa035.
- Spires, M., Berggreen-Clausen, A., Kasujja, F.X., Delobelle, P., Puoane, T., Sanders, D. … Daivadanam, M. (2020). Snapshots of Urban and Rural Food Environments: EPOCH-Based Mapping in a High-, Middle-, and Low-Income Country from a Non-Communicable Disease Perspective. Nutrients, 12(2), pp. 484–484. doi:10.3390/nu12020484.
- Hoe, C., Kennedy, R.D., Spires, M., Tamplin, S. and Cohen, J.E. (2019). Improving the implementation of tobacco control policies in low-and middle-income countries: a proposed framework. BMJ Global Health, 4(6). doi:10.1136/bmjgh-2019-002078.
- Vandevijvere, S., Barquera, S., Caceres, G., Corvalan, C., Karupaiah, T., Kroker‐Lobos, M.F. … Swinburn, B. (2019). An 11‐country study to benchmark the implementation of recommended nutrition policies by national governments using the Healthy Food Environment Policy Index, 2015‐2018. Obesity Reviews, 20(S2), pp. 57–66. doi:10.1111/obr.12819.
London EC1V 0HB
As a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Food Policy, Mark is responsible for establishing and leading new, interdisciplinary projects exploring public policy solutions for healthy diets in the UK and internationally. Mark’s primary research interests centre on seeking to better understand peoples’ lived experiences of local food environments, and how these findings can contribute to more effective and inclusive food policy.
Prior to his current position, Mark completed his PhD in Public Health at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa where he researched low-income community access to safe and nutritious food. Prior to that, he worked as a Research Program Manager at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health's Institute for Global Tobacco Control.
- PhD, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
- MPH, Brigham Young University, United States
- BA - International Cultural Studies, Brigham Young University–Hawaii, United States
- Certificate in Health and Human Rights, Johns Hopkins University, United States
- HEA Associate Fellowship, City, University London, United Kingdom
- Research Fellow, City, University London, Feb 2019 – present
Afrikaans (can read, speak and understand spoken).
- Africa - Southern
Publications by category
- Spires, M., Delobelle, P., Berggreen-Clausen, A., Daivadanam, M., Puoane, T. and Sanders, D. (2019). ASSESSMENT AND PERCEPTION OF URBAN AND RURAL FOOD ENVIRONMENTS IN SOUTH AFRICA.