- de Frutos, M.G. (2020). Delivering next generations. British Journal of Midwifery, 28(8), pp. 504–508. doi:10.12968/bjom.2020.28.8.504.
- Garcia De Frutos, M. (2020). Maternal global health matters: reflections from a local perspective. Midirs Midwifery Digest, 30(1), pp. 123–127.
London EC1V 0HB
Maria is a midwifery lecturer with a strong public health expertise. She teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate level as well as supporting students in clinical practice. Her main interests are in public health and sexual and reproductive health, with particular interest in women with complex socio-political needs, migrants, refugees and displaced populations. Over the years she has led her professional career to meet the needs of the most vulnerable populations, both at local and international settings. Maria contextualises health, both clinically and in her research, from a public health and anthropological perspective.
In addition to her strong clinical background, as a nurse and a midwife, she gained a MSc in Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
She has worked in the NHS and in the third sector, both in London and abroad. She has focused on women’s health in contexts of social exclusion, from a clinical and socio-political perspective while working as a midwife in East London, one of the most deprived and diverse communities in the UK. She has worked and conducted academic and community research on migrant and refugee women’s health in contexts of social marginalisation and protracted displacement, in Greece and in the UK.
Her focus and interests:
- Public Health
- Global Health
- Medical Anthropology
- Sexual and reproductive health within a socio-economic and political context
- Women with complex needs
- Migrants, refugees and displaced populations
- Politics of reproduction
- MSc Public Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom, 2016 – 2017
- Diploma Tropical Nursing, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom, Jan 2013 – Jan 2014
- BSc Midwifery, London South Bank University, United Kingdom, Jan 2011 – Jan 2012
- BSc Nursing, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain, Jan 2000 – Jan 2003
- PG Cert Academic Practice, City, University London, London, United Kingdom, 2019 – 2020
- Clinical Research Midwife, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Oct 2017 – May 2018
- Public Health Midwife, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Jan 2016 – Jan 2018
- Midwife, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, 2013 – present
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read and understand spoken), Italian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Spanish; Castilian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).