- Hörnle, J. and Carran, M.A. (2018). A sieve that does hold a little water – gambling advertising and protection of the vulnerable in the UK. Legal Studies, 38(4), pp. 529–548. doi:10.1017/lst.2018.5.
- Carran, M. (2016). A holistic approach to underage gaming. Gambling Insider pp. 48–49.
- Carran, M. and Griffiths, M. (2015). Gambling and Social Gambling: An Exploratory study of young people's perceptions and behaviour. Aloma, 33(1), pp. 101–113.
- Griffiths, M.D. and Carran, M.M. (2015). Are Online Penny Auctions a Form of Gambling? Gaming Law Review and Economics, 19(3), pp. 190–196. doi:10.1089/glre.2015.1934.
- Carran, M. (2015). Alastair Hudson, Great Debates in Equity and Trusts. The Law Teacher, 49:1, pp. 133–136. doi:10.1080/03069400.2015.1002225.
- Carran, M. (2013). Regulation of adolescents’ gambling – too narrow approach. Public Law and Social Human Rights, 153(11), pp. 43–58.
- Carran, M. (2013). Minors and gambling regulation. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 4(4), pp. 509–520. doi:10.1017/S1867299X00003135.
- Carran, M. (2010). Cohabitation: Schemes on Hold in England and Wales. International Family Law, June (IFL 125-230), pp. 199–202.
London EC1V 0HB
Margaret Carran is the Associate Dean for Academic Programmes (Education) and Senior Lecturer at City Law School, City, University London. She is actively involved in developing and implementing strategic priorities that aim to improve students' teaching and learning experience, and their employability prospects. She is also researching gambling - related law and regulations.
Margaret is committed to academic excellence in both her teaching and research and is actively working to ensure that all students receive the highest quality education and are prepared well for the global and ever changing environment.
- PhD in Commercial Law, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, 2011 – 2015
- Certificate in Online Tutoring, City University London, United Kingdom, May 2008
- LLM in Corporate and Commercial Law, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2005 – Jun 2006
- LLB, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 1997 – Jun 2000
- Certificate in Political Studies, Lower Silesian School, Poland, May 1996
- Senior Lecturer, City University London, Sep 2007 – present
- Associate Dean (Law), Kaplan Holborn College, Jan 2005 – Sep 2007
- Lecturer in Law, Kaplan Holborn College, Sep 2003 – Jan 2005
- Business Planning Assistant Manager, Lloyds TSB, Sep 2001 – Aug 2003
Memberships of professional organisations
- Socio-Legal Studies Association, Jun 2012 – present
PhD in Commercial Law with elements of Psychology
Regulatory theory; gambling regulation; public health and protection of adolescents
Publications by category
- Carran, M. (2018). Gambling Regulation and Vulnerability. Edward Elgar Publishing.
Conference papers and proceedings (5)
- Carran, M. (2014). A Critical Review of the Recommendation as a Tool to Enhance Protection of Children from Gambling Related Harm - Age Verification Online. Regulating Online Gambling in the EU - Recommendation 2014/478/EU on Player Protection - Where Do We Go From Here? 25 November, Paris, France.
- Carran, M. (2013). How adolescents differentiate between social gaming and true forms of gambling – preliminary findings from qualitative focus groups carried out with 14-17 years old in secondary schools in London. 15th International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking. 27-31 May, Las Vegas, USA.
- Carran, M. (2012). Myths and Truth of Online Gambling. Challenges and Opportunities of Online Entertainmnent 9-10 July, Barcelona Spain.
- Carran, M. Regulation of adolescents’ gambling – too narrow approach. International Law Conference Athens.
- Carran, M. To what extent does criminalisation of under-age gambling shape online access and children’s perceptions and behaviour. Cumberland Place, Windsor.
Journal articles (8)
- Carran, M. Challenges and regulation of adolescents’ gambling.
- Institutional quality assurance auditor for Limkokwing University of Malaysia.
- QAA External Reviewer.