- Scheenstra, B., Bruninx, A., van Daalen, F., Stahl, N., Latuapon, E., Imkamp, M. … Kietselaer, B. (2022). Digital Health Solutions to Reduce the Burden of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Proposed by the CARRIER Consortium. JMIR Cardio, 6(2). doi:10.2196/37437.
- Suverein, M.M., Shaw, D., Lorusso, R., Delnoij, T.S.R., Essers, B., Weerwind, P.W. … Maessen, J.G. (2021). Ethics of ECPR research. Resuscitation, 169, pp. 136–142. doi:10.1016/j.resuscitation.2021.08.007.
- Sorbie, A., Gueddana, W., Laurie, G. and Townend, D. (2021). Examining the power of the social imaginary through competing narratives of data ownership in health research. Journal of Law and the Biosciences, 8(2). doi:10.1093/jlb/lsaa068.
- Zerka, F., Barakat, S., Walsh, S., Bogowicz, M., Leijenaar, R.T.H., Jochems, A. … Lambin, P. (2020). Systematic Review of Privacy-Preserving Distributed Machine Learning From Federated Databases in Health Care. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, (4), pp. 184–200. doi:10.1200/cci.19.00047.
- Adnan, H.S., Srsic, A., Venticich, P.M. and Townend, D.M.R. (2020). Using AI for Mental Health Analysis and Prediction in School Surveys. European Journal of Public Health, 30(Supplement_5). doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckaa165.336.
- Penders, B., Lutz, P., Shaw, D.M. and Townend, D.M.R. (2020). Allonymous science: the politics of placing and shifting credit in public-private nutrition research. Life Sciences, Society and Policy, 16. doi:10.1186/s40504-020-00099-y.
- Aaltonen, L.A., Abascal, F., Abeshouse, A., Aburatani, H., Adams, D.J., Agrawal, N. … von Mering, C. (2020). Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. Nature, 578(7793), pp. 82–93. doi:10.1038/s41586-020-1969-6.
- Phillips, M., Molnár-Gábor, F., Korbel, J.O., Thorogood, A., Joly, Y., Chalmers, D. … Knoppers, B.M. (2020). Genomics: data sharing needs an international code of conduct. Nature, 578(7793), pp. 31–33. doi:10.1038/d41586-020-00082-9.
- Sun, C., Ippel, L., van Soest, J., Wouters, B., Malic, A., Adekunle, O. … Dumontier, M. (2019). A Privacy-Preserving Infrastructure for Analyzing Personal Health Data in a Vertically Partitioned Scenario. MEDINFO 2019: HEALTH AND WELLBEING E-NETWORKS FOR ALL, 264, pp. 373–377. doi:10.3233/SHTI190246.
- Roozen, S., Peters, G.-.J.Y., Kok, G., Townend, D., Nijhuis, J., Koek, G. … Curfs, L. (2018). Systematic literature review on which maternal alcohol behaviours are related to fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD). BMJ Open, 8(12). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022578.
- Taylor, M.J., Dove, E.S., Laurie, G. and Townend, D. (2018). When can the Child Speak for Herself? The Limits of Parental Consent in Data Protection Law for Health Research. Medical Law Review, 26(3), pp. 369–391. doi:10.1093/medlaw/fwx052.
- Townend, D. (2018). Conclusion: harmonisation in genomic and health data sharing for research: an impossible dream? Human Genetics, 137(8), pp. 657–664. doi:10.1007/s00439-018-1924-x.
- Shaw, D., de Wert, G., Dondorp, W., Townend, D., Bos, G. and van Gelder, M. (2017). Permitting patients to pay for participation in clinical trials: the advent of the P4 trial. Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy, 20(2), pp. 219–227. doi:10.1007/s11019-016-9741-2.
- Roozen, S., Black, D., Peters, G.-.J.Y., Kok, G., Townend, D., Nijhuis, J.G. … Curfs, L.M.G. (2016). Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD): an Approach to Effective Prevention. Current Developmental Disorders Reports, 3(4), pp. 229–234. doi:10.1007/s40474-016-0101-y.
- Shaw, D. and Townend, D. (2016). Division and discord in the Clinical Trials Regulation. Journal of Medical Ethics, 42(11), pp. 729–732. doi:10.1136/medethics-2016-103422.
- Townend, D., Dove, E.S., Nicol, D., Bovenberg, J. and Knoppers, B.M. (2016). Streamlining ethical review of data intensive research. BMJ. doi:10.1136/bmj.i4181.
- Dove, E.S., Townend, D., Meslin, E.M., Bobrow, M., Littler, K., Nicol, D. … Knoppers, B.M. (2016). Ethics review for international data-intensive research. Science, 351(6280), pp. 1399–1400. doi:10.1126/science.aad5269.
- Townend, D. (2016). EU Laws on Privacy in Genomic Databases and Biobanking. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 44(1), pp. 128–142. doi:10.1177/1073110516644204.
- Roozen, S., Peters, G.-.J.Y., Kok, G., Townend, D., Nijhuis, J. and Curfs, L. (2016). Worldwide Prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: A Systematic Literature Review Including Meta-Analysis. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 40(1), pp. 18–32. doi:10.1111/acer.12939.
- Landeweerd, L., Townend, D., Mesman, J. and Van Hoyweghen, I. (2015). Reflections on different governance styles in regulating science: a contribution to ‘Responsible Research and Innovation’. Life Sciences, Society and Policy, 11(1). doi:10.1186/s40504-015-0026-y.
- Schröder-Bäck, P., Michelsen, K., Bongers, L., Brand, H., Förster, K. and Townend, D. (2014). Rechtliche und ethische Aspekte grenzüberschreitender Gesundheitsversorgung innerhalb der Europäischen Union. Ethik in der Medizin, 26(4), pp. 301–315. doi:10.1007/s00481-013-0282-4.
- Dove, E.S., Townend, D. and Knoppers, B.M. (2014). Data protection and consent to biomedical research: a step forward? The Lancet, 384(9946), pp. 855–855. doi:10.1016/s0140-6736(14)61488-4.
- Cooper, N., Swan, A. and Townend, D. (2014). A confluence of new technology and the right to water: experience and potential from South Africa’s constitution and commons. Ethics and Information Technology, 16(2), pp. 119–134. doi:10.1007/s10676-014-9340-y.
- Stapleton, G., Schröder-Bäck, P., Brand, H. and Townend, D. (2014). Health inequalities and regional specific scarcity in primary care physicians: ethical issues and criteria. International Journal of Public Health, 59(3), pp. 449–455. doi:10.1007/s00038-013-0497-7.
- Bongers, L.M.H. and Townend *, D.M.R. (2014). The Implementation of the Directive on the Application of Patients’ Rights in Cross-border Healthcare in the Netherlands. European Journal of Health Law, 21(1), pp. 65–78. doi:10.1163/15718093-12341308.
- Stapleton, G., Schröder-Bäck, P. and Townend, D. (2013). Equity in Public Health: An Epigenetic Perspective. Public Health Genomics, 16(4), pp. 135–144. doi:10.1159/000350703.
- Townend, D. (2010). Privacy, health insurance, and medical research: tensions raised by European data protection law. New Genetics and Society, 29(4), pp. 477–493. doi:10.1080/14636778.2010.528194.
- Ruyter, K.W., LÕuk, K., Jorqui, M., Kvalheim, V., Cekanauskaite, A. and Townend, D. (2010). From Research Exemption to Research Norm: Recognising an Alternative to Consent for Large Scale Biobank Research. Medical Law International, 10(4), pp. 287–313. doi:10.1177/096853321001000403.
- Taylor, M.J. and Townend, D. (2010). Issues in Protecting Privacy in Medical Research Using Genetic Information and Biobanking: The PRIVILEGED Project. Medical Law International, 10(4), pp. 253–268. doi:10.1177/096853321001000401.
- Duguet, A.-.M. and Townend, D. (2008). Issues in Networking and Research Funding for the European Association of Health Law. European Journal of Health Law, 15(3), pp. 307–317. doi:10.1163/157180908x338250.
- Beyleveld, D. and Townend, D.M.R. (2004). When is Personal Data Rendered Anonymous? Interpreting Recital 26 of Directive 95/46/EC. Medical Law International, 6(2), pp. 73–86. doi:10.1177/096853320400600201.
- Jefferson, M., Phillips, E., Bennett, M., van Kraay, F., Townend, D.M.R., Brown, W. … Noble, M. (1995). Recent legal developments. The Law Teacher, 29(3), pp. 338–378. doi:10.1080/03069400.1995.9992933.
London EC1V 0HB
Dr David Townend is a Professor of Law and Associate Dean for Research and Innovation in the City Law School.
His expertise is in the nature of the key concepts of privacy, confidentiality, property, and the public interest. He is also interested in the interplay between Law, Ethics and Manners, and in the potential of the theory of politeness in governance. He explores these concepts in the practical areas of personal data protection (and particularly the use of personal data in health and life science research), in questions relating to patients' rights, in the operation of research ethics committees, and in Equity and trusts. His work is located in the socio-legal studies tradition, and much of his current work concerns public engagement in relation to the understanding of the key concepts and practical areas he studies.
At City Law School, Townend teaches courses in Equity and trusts, medical law, and academic legal skills. He is also available to supervise PhD and Master's students in the areas of his research.
Since 2014, Townend has been Professor of Health and Life Sciences Jurisprudence in the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences at Maastricht University, and he continues in a small part-time capacity in that role since his appointment to City in September 2022. He is also the Visiting Professor of Health Law at the University of Lincoln (since 2014). Townend's early career was spent at the Faculty of Law at the University of Sheffield, where he was also a member of the Sheffield Institute for Biotechnological Law and Ethics.
Townend has many international research collaborations, and has coordinated or worked on many research projects funded by major funding bodies. Townend was a member of the UK Department of Health Emerging Science and Bioethics Advisory Committee (ESBAC) (2012-2014).
- PhD cum laude, Maastricht University, Netherlands, Sep 2022
- MPhil, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, May 1995
- LLB, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, Jul 1988
- BKO (Dutch University Teaching Qualification), Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
- Associate Dean for Research and Innovation, City, University of London, Jan 2023 – present
- Professor, City, University of London, Sep 2022 – present
- Professor of Health and Life Sciences Jurisprudence, Maastricht University, Jan 2014 – present
- Associate Professor of the Law of Public Health and Care, Maastricht University, Jan 2008 – Jan 2012
- Senior Lecturer in Law, University of Sheffield, Jul 2005 – Dec 2007
- Deputy Director of Sheffield Institute of Biotechnological Law and Ethics (SIBLE), University of Sheffield, Jan 2005 – Dec 2007
- Sub-Dean for Graduate Studies, University of Sheffield, Sep 2002 – Dec 2007
- Lecturer in Law, University of Sheffield, Oct 1991 – Jun 2005
Publications by category
- Palm, W., Nys, H., Townend, D., Shaw, D., Clemens, T. and Brand, H. (2020). Patients’ rights: from recognition to implementation. Achieving Person-Centred Health Systems (pp. 347–386). Cambridge University Press.
- Murray, L.A. and Townend, D. (2014). Different Perspectives on Research and Development Incentives for Diseases of the Poor. Making Global Health Care Innovation Work (pp. 159–180). Palgrave Macmillan US. ISBN 978-1-349-49831-4.
- Uwland, A. and Townend, D. (2014). The Influence of Intellectual Property Protection on Drug Development for Neglected Tropical Diseases. Making Global Health Care Innovation Work (pp. 181–197). Palgrave Macmillan US. ISBN 978-1-349-49831-4.
- Shaw, D. and Townend, D. Research with Human Participants in the European Union. The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Health Law (p. 612). Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-084675-5.
- van Soest, J., Sun, C., Mussmann, O., Puts, M., van den Berg, B., Malic, A. … Dumontier, M. (2018). Using the Personal Health Train for Automated and Privacy-Preserving Analytics on Vertically Partitioned Data. doi:10.3233/978-1-61499-852-5-581