- Sawtell, M., Wiggins, M., Wiseman, O., Mehay, A., McCourt, C., Sweeney, L. … Harden, A. (2023). Group antenatal care: findings from a pilot randomised controlled trial of REACH Pregnancy Circles. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 9(1). doi:10.1186/s40814-023-01238-w.
- Wiggins, M., Sawtell, M., Wiseman, O., McCourt, C., Eldridge, S., Hunter, R. … Harden, A. (2020). Group antenatal care (Pregnancy Circles) for diverse and disadvantaged women: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial with integral process and economic evaluations. BMC Health Services Research, 20(1). doi:10.1186/s12913-020-05751-z.
- Hatherall, B., Newell, J.N., Emmel, N., Baral, S.C. and Khan, M.A. (2019). “Who Will Marry a Diseased Girl?” Marriage, Gender, and Tuberculosis Stigma in Asia. Qualitative Health Research, 29(8), pp. 1109–1119. doi:10.1177/1049732318812427.
- Sawtell, M., Sweeney, L., Wiggins, M., Salisbury, C., Eldridge, S., Greenberg, L. … Harden, A. (2018). Evaluation of community-level interventions to increase early initiation of antenatal care in pregnancy: protocol for the Community REACH study, a cluster randomised controlled trial with integrated process and economic evaluations. Trials, 19(1). doi:10.1186/s13063-018-2526-6.
- Hatherall, B., Morris, J., Jamal, F., Sweeney, L., Wiggins, M., Kaur, I. … Harden, A. (2016). Timing of the initiation of antenatal care: An exploratory qualitative study of women and service providers in East London. Midwifery, 36, pp. 1–7. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2016.02.017.
- Cresswell, J.A., Yu, G., Hatherall, B., Morris, J., Jamal, F., Harden, A. … Renton, A. (2013). Predictors of the timing of initiation of antenatal care in an ethnically diverse urban cohort in the UK. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 13(1). doi:10.1186/1471-2393-13-103.
- Hatherall, B., Ingham, R., Stone, N. and McEachran, J. (2006). How, not just if, condoms are used: the timing of condom application and removal during vaginal sex among young people in England. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 83(1), pp. 68–70. doi:10.1136/sti.2006.021410.
- Stone, N., Hatherall, B., Ingham, R. and McEachran, J. (2006). Oral Sex and Condom Use Among Young People In the United Kingdom. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 38(1), pp. 6–12. doi:10.1363/3800606.
- Stone, N., Hatherall, B., Ingham, R. and McEachran, J. (2006). Oral sex and condom use among young people in the United Kingdom. PERSPECTIVES ON SEXUAL AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH, 38(1), pp. 6–12. doi:10.1111/j.1931-2393.2006.tb00053.x.
London EC1V 0HB
Bethan Hatherall has worked in a range of research- and public health-related capacities since 2000. She is currently a co-investigator on the NIHR-funded REACH Pregnancy Programme, oversees patient and public involvement across the programme, has lead on a strand of the research programme focussed on strengthening women's involvement in planning and improving maternity services, and is now working on the programme's trial of group-based antenatal care, known as Pregnancy Circles. The REACH Pregnancy Programme has built upon NIHR-funded mixed methods research Bethan conducted on women's access to antenatal care services early in pregnancy, and upon EU-funded qualitative research she conducted on access to and experiences of pregnancy services with a specific focus on women of Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani heritage living in East London.
Bethan completed a part-time PhD in 2014 based on multi-country qualitative research she led, funded by ESRC-DFID, on the causes of tuberculosis stigma. She used a combination of the approach to developing grounded theory and a realist perspective on causality to develop explanatory theories. She has presented this research at international conferences, including the 41st Union World Conference on Lung Health.
- PhD, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, 2014
- MSc Health Promotion Sciences, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom, 2000
- BA Hons Anthropology, University of Durham, United Kingdom, 1997
- Research Fellow, City, University London, Jul 2020 – present
- Research Fellow, University of East London, Jul 2010 – Jul 2020
- Research Officer, University of Leeds, May 2007 – May 2010
- Research Assistant, University of Southampton, Jan 2003 – Aug 2005