- Aran, A. and Yishayahu, G. (2022). Updating the Study of Foreign Policy Crisis: The Case of the Mavi Marmara Flotilla. Foreign Policy Analysis, 18(3). doi:10.1093/fpa/orac007.
- Aran, A., Brummer, K. and Smith, K.E. (2021). Introduction: new directions in foreign policy analysis. International Affairs, 97(2), pp. 261–265. doi:10.1093/ia/iiaa231.
- Aran, A. and Fleischmann, L. (2019). Framing and Foreign Policy—Israel's Response to the Arab Uprisings. International Studies Review, 21(4), pp. 614–639. doi:10.1093/isr/viy055.
- Aran, A. (2012). Israel and the Arab Uprisings: A Provisional Analsysis. RUSI Journal, 157(5), pp. 56–61.
- Aran, A. (2012). Containment and territorial transnational actors: Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas. International Affairs, 88(4), pp. 835–855.
- Aran, A. (2012). Arbitrating the Israeli-Palestinian territorial dispute: A riposte. International Politics, 49(3), pp. 388–391. doi:10.1057/ip.2012.2.
- Aran, A. (2011). Foreign policy and globalization theory: The case of Israel. International Politics, 48(6), pp. 707–730. doi:10.1057/ip.2011.26.
London EC1V 0HB
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT, International Politics, SASS
Professor Aran joined the Department in September 2009. He was previously a Fellow in International Relations at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Professor Aran has also contributed to policy-making forums through his work with the European Union's Middle East Peace Task Force, ETN Zurich, Oxford Analytica, and he has commentated on Middle Eastern affairs for the BBC, Bloomberg and CCTV. His book - Foreign Policy Analysis: New Approaches - was recently published by Routledge. Professor Aran has also published in academic journals such as International Affairs, and International Politics.
Professor Aran has extensive experience in written, radio and television media commentary.
- The International Politics of the Middle East (IP3008, BSc module)
- The International Politics of the Middle East (IPM018, MSc module)
- Theories and Research Strategies in International Politics (IP2011)
Dr Aran's main research interests lie in the international relations of the Middle East, with special reference to the Arab-Israeli conflict and the foreign policy of Middle Eastern states.
His work also engages with International Relations theory, particularly foreign policy analysis and globalisation.
Dr Aran welcomes PhD supervision on the following topics:
- The Palestinians
- The Arab-Israeli conflict
- The foreign policy of Middle Eastern States
- Foreign Policy Analysis.
Ms Shelly Gotfried
Thesis title: The rise of oligarchs in Israel
Mr Hisham Sabbag
Thesis title: The role of US mediation in the Israeli-Syrian peace negotiations
Thesis title: Building the House Anew with Trans-National Musical Collaborations: Music Communities, Politics and Social Protest in the Tel-Aviv Yafo Underground
Mr. Gadi Yishayahu
Thesis title: Decision-Making in Crisis and Information Overload
Efrat Sopher (In conjunction with the LSE)
Thesis title: Israeli Foreign Policy towards Iran before the 1979 Revolution
Mr Pietro De-Perini
Thesis title: The impact of intercultural dialogue on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
Ms Leonie Fleischman
Thesis title: The Israeli peace movement
- Aran, A. and Ginat, R. (2014). Revisiting Egyptian Foreign Policy towards Israel under Mubarak: From Cold Peace to Strategic Peace. Journal of Strategic Studies, 37(4), pp. 556–583. doi:10.1080/01402390.2014.923766.
Publications by category
- Aran, A. (2020). Israeli Foreign Policy since the end of the Cold War. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-107-05249-9.
- Alden, C. and Aran, A. (2012). Conclusion New directions in foreign policy analysis. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-203-64099-9.
- Alden, C. and Aran, A. (2011). Foreign policy analysis: New approaches. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-42798-2.
- Aran, A. (2009). Israel's foreign policy towards the PLO. Sussex: Sussex Academic Press.
- Alden, C. Foreign Policy Analysis. Routledge.
- Aran, A. (2013). ‘Israeli Foreign Policy in Historical Perspective’. Israel's Clandestine Diplomacies London/New York: Hurst/Oxford University Press.
- Aran, A. (2012). Europe and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Towards a New Diplomatic Engagement? Europe and the Middle East: The Hour of the EU? New York: Peter Lang.
- In Herzog, M. and Robins, P. (Eds.), The Role, Position and Agency of Cusp States in International Relations. In Routledge.
Conference papers and proceedings (24)
- Aran, A. (2013). Rethinking Egyptian Foreign Policy towards Israel. British International Studies Association June.
- Aran, A. (2013). Israel and the Arab Uprisings: Two Years On. May, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Aran, A. (2013). The Middle East and the Arab Uprisings. British Ministry of Defence lecture series May.
- Aran, A. (2013). Briefing to Deputy Minister, Alistair Burt. The MEPP in the wake of contemporary developments March.
- Aran, A. (2013). From Cold peace to strategic peace? Egyptian Foreign Policy towards Israel under Mubarak. Feb 2013 – Mar 2013, Warwick University, University of Haifa.
- Aran, A. (2012). Israel and the Arab Uprisings: A Provisional Analysis. November, FCO.
- Aran, A. (2012). Containment and non-State Actors. Polis October, University of Cambridge.
- Aran, A. (2012). After the Arab Spring: Power Shift in the Middle East? May, LSE.
- Aran, A. (2012). Israel as a Cusp State. International Collaboration British Academy funded project, on the Cusp conference April, Middle Eastern Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Aran, A. (2012). From Cold Peace to Strategic Peace? Egyptian Foreign Policy towards Israel under Mubarak, 1981-2011. BRISMES Conference March, LSE.
- Aran, A. (2011). Israel: Navigating the challenges of the Democracy. December, Chatham House.
- Aran, A. (2011). Israel amid the Arab Uprisings. November, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Aran, A. (2011). Containment and territorial transnational actors: Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas. June, British Middle East Study Association, Exeter.
- Aran, A. (2011). The scope and nature of Israel studies in Europe. June, Italian Middle East Study Association.
- Aran, A. (2011). Containing Transterritorial Actors: Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas. April, British International Study Association.
- Aran, A. (2011). Beyond Security: Israeli Foreign Policy in Historical Perspective. March, Kings College London.
- Aran, A. (2011). Israel’s Foreign Policy in Historical Perspective. Trondheim, Norway.
- Aran, A. (2011). Israel’s foreign policy since 1948. January, London School of Economics.
- Aran, A. (2010). The EU and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Towards a New Engagement? Forum Académique sur la Sécurité en Europre March, Strasbourgh.
- Aran, A. (2010). The Second Lebanon War Revisited. Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World February, The School of Literatures, Languages, Cultures, University of Edinburgh.
- Aran, A. (2009). From Containment to Deterrence? Israel’s Policy towards Hamas and Hezbollah since 2000. BISA Conference December.
- Aran, A. (2009). Israel’s Foreign Policy towards the PLO: The Impact of Globalization. Book Launch November, Department of International Politics, City University.
- Aran, A. (2009). The Second Lebanon War: A Turning Point in Israeli Foreign policy? November, SOAS.
- Aran, A. (2009). Israel and Hamas after the War in Gaza. The EU and the Middle East Peace Process Task Force April, Paris.
Journal articles (7)
- Aran, A. (2012). Israel and the Arab Uprisings. Europe Politics and Policy Group, London School of Economics.
- Aran, A. (2011). Keeping a Balance? Explaining Israel’s Defence and Social Welfare Expenditure in Historical Perspective. Seoul: Asia House.
- Aran, A. (2010). Between Palestine and Iran: Saudi-Arabia and the Arab-Israeli Conflict. ETN Zurich.
- Aran, A. (2009). The Israeli Palestinian Impasse in Strategic Update. IDEAS, LSE.
- Aran, A. (2009). ‘Paradigmatic Progress in Israel-Palestine?’ in International Relations and Security Network. ETN Zurich.
- Aran, A. (2008). Israel and the Palestinians after Annapolis. LFI.
- Aran, A. (2007). The Arab Peace Initiative: The Political Implications for the Arab-Israeli Conflict. LFI.
- Aran, A. Coming Full Circle in Gaza. Oxford Analytica.
- EU task force for peace in the Middle East. Paris (2010).
Description: Invited expert
- Forum on BBC’s media coverage of the Middle East. House of Lords, London (2010).
Description: Invited Expert
- Round-table on the Middle East. RUSI (2009).
Description: Invited Expert
- Member of the European Association of Israel Studies Steering Committee.