- Coutts, A.M. (2013). Lactose intolerance: Causes, effects, diagnosis and symptom control. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 11(2), pp. 18–21.
- Coutts, A.M. (2013). An overview of coeliac disease: Patterns, causes, symptoms and management. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 11(3), pp. 26–30.
- Coutts, A.M. (2013). Super foods, super cynical. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 6(11), p. 5.
- Coutts, A.M. (2011). Making your own future. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 9(6), p. 5.
- Coutts, A. (2010). The bowel cancer screening programme: Understanding the rationale. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 8(3), pp. 38–41. doi:10.12968/gasn.2010.8.3.47654.
- Coutts, A.M. (2010). Specialist or advanced roles. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 8(9), p. 5.
- Cox, C.L., Kelly, D., Talman, K. and Coutts, A. (2007). Human costs' of breast cancer among non-English speaking BME women. Journal of Cancer Nursing Practice, 6(6), pp. 31–35.
- Coutts, A.M. (2006). Review and discussion of the body's normal microorganisms. Br J Nurs, 15(16), pp. 864–868. doi:10.12968/bjon.2006.15.16.21850.
- Coutts, A.M. (2003). Addressing obesity. Gastrointestinal Nursing, 6(10), p. 3.
- Coutts, A.M. (2002). Daignostic investigations 2: computersied tomography. Nursing times, 98(37), pp. 41–42.
- Coutts, A. (2001). Nutrition and the life cycle 5: nutritional needs of older adults. British Journal of Nursing, 10(9), pp. 603–607. doi:10.12968/bjon.2001.10.9.9379.
- Coutts, A. (2001). Nutrition and the life cycle 4: the healthy diet for the adult. British Journal of Nursing, 10(6), pp. 362–369. doi:10.12968/bjon.2001.10.6.5343.
- Coutts, A.M. (2001). Nutrition and the life cycle 3: nutrition and the school child. British Journal of Nursing, 10(1), p. 26.
- Coutts, A. (2000). Nutrition and the life cycle 2: infancy and weaning. British Journal of Nursing, 9(21), pp. 2205–2216. doi:10.12968/bjon.2000.9.21.5424.
- Coutts, A. (2000). Nutrition and the life cycle 1: maternal nutrition and pregnancy. British Journal of Nursing, 9(17), pp. 1133–1138. doi:10.12968/bjon.2000.9.17.5465.
- Coutts, A. (1998). Nutritional requirements of lactating women. British Journal of Midwifery, 6(9), pp. 610–610. doi:10.12968/bjom.1918.104.22.1680.
- Coutts, A.M. (1998). maternal nutrition and life expectancy. British Journal of Midwifery, 6(6), pp. 418–418. doi:10.12968/bjom.1922.214.171.1248.
- Coutts, A.M. (1998). pregnancy, lactation and the avoidance of allergens. British Journal of Midwifery, 6(10), p. 622.
- Coutts, A.M. (1998). Minor problems of pregnancy - a review. Professional care of mother and child, 8(4).
London EC1V 0HB
Alison is programme director for the MSc advanced practice in health and social care (nursing); MSc ophthalmic nursing; MSc advanced practice in health and social care, and MSc Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Alison undertook her nurse training as an undergraduate nurse at St. Thomas Hospital in London. She then moved to Lewisham Hospitals before training as a nurse teacher. Initially she worked at Guys School of Nursing before moving to the old St. Bartholomew School of Nursing.
Alison has special interests in nutrition and developmental physiology.
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Apr 2021
- Master of Science, University College London, United Kingdom
- BSc Nursing Studies, London South Bank University, United Kingdom
- PGCEA, University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- Programme Director for Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care
- Programme Director for Advanced Practice in Health and Social care (Nursing)
- Programme Director for Advanced Practice in Health and Social Care (Ophthalmic Nursing)
- Senior Lecturer in Nursing (Bioscience), City University London, Sep 2014 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, NMC
- Member, RCN
Alison is currently researching into careers advice for nurses, with the learning development centre.
- Women's health
- Media coverage and health news
- Careers advice for nurses
Current and Recently Completed Grants / Activities
Careers advice for nurses.
Publications by category
- Coutts, A.M. (2009). The gastro-intestinal system - food for the trip. In Colbers, B., Ankney, J. and Lee, K. (Eds.), Anatomy and Physiology for Health Professionals - an interactive journey (pp. 403–439). Harlow UK: Pearson Education. ISBN 978-0-13-235091-4.
- Coutts, A.M. (2008). Food and Nutrition. In Spouce, J. and Cook, M. (Eds.), Common Foundation Studies in Nursing (pp. 231–285). Elsievier. ISBN 978-0-443-10154-0.
- Coutts, A.M. (2002). Computersied Tomography
Magnetic resonance. Diagnostic procedres London: Emap Healthcare.
Conference papers and proceedings (2)
- Coutts, A.M. (2014). The role of the University in Career Decisions by Nurses. Society for Research into Higher Education - Newer Researchers Conference 8-9 December, Newport.
- Coutts, A.M. (2006). Research challenges - lessons learned from studies on sensitive topics or with difficult to access groups. Rcn International Nursing Research conference.
Journal articles (19)
- on Editorial board for Gastrointestinal Nursing.
- Inspiring future nurses: the role of the HEIs in assisting nurses with their career decisions. Newport, south Wales (2014).
Description: Contribution to Society for research into Higher Education, newer researchers conference
- Media analysis of a food scare: Salmonella in Cadbury. (2007).
Description: Presented at Nutrition and nurture conference, organised by University of Central Lancashire and William Harvey Day Royal Hospitals Trust.
- Experience of Bangladeshi women, affected by breast cancer, in accessing health care. (2006).
Description: Presented at William Harvey Day.
- Royal London Hospital.