- Einbond, A. (2019). Disembodiment: Reproduction, transcription, and trace. Tempo (United Kingdom), 73(287), pp. 83–90. doi:10.1017/S0040298218000694.
London EC1V 0HB
Aaron Einbond’s work explores the intersection of instrumental music, field recording, sound installation, and interactive technology. Chicago-based Ensemble Dal Niente released his portrait album Without Words on Carrier Records and he collaborated with Yarn/Wire and Matilde Meireles on the album Cities released on multi.modal. Alvise Sinivia premiered Cosmologies for piano and three-dimensional electronics produced by IRCAM at Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris, SWR Experimentalstudio produced Cartographies for piano with two performers and electronics for the Kubus at ZKM in Karlsruhe, and the Académie du Festival d’Aix and Opera Lab Berlin co-produced his site-specific ambient chamber opera Hidden in Plain Sight in the streets of Aix-en-Provence. Other recent collaborators include the Riot Ensemble, soundinitiative, Lucilin, loadbang, TAK, Séverine Ballon, and Samuel Stoll. He teaches at City, University of London and is Co-Artistic Director of Qubit New Music in New York. He has received a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, a Giga-Hertz Förderpreis, and Artistic Research Residencies at IRCAM and ZKM. He has taught at Columbia University, the University of Huddersfield, and Harvard University and studied at Harvard University, the University of Cambridge, the University of California Berkeley, and IRCAM with teachers including Mario Davidovsky, Julian Anderson, Edmund Campion, and Philippe Leroux.
- D.E.M. 1er Prix, Conservatoire du Rayonnement Départmental “Erik Satie", France, Sep 2007 – Jul 2009
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, United States, Aug 2002 – Dec 2009
- P.G.Dip., Royal College of Music, London, United Kingdom, Sep 2001 – Jul 2002
- M.Phil., University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom, Sep 2000 – Aug 2001
- A.B., Harvard University, Cambridge, United States, Sep 1996 – Jun 2000
- Visiting Lecturer, Harvard University, Cambridge, Jan – Jun 2014
- Research Fellow, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, Feb 2012 – Jan 2014
- Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University, New York, Aug 2009 – Aug 2011
- Music & Artificial Intelligence: Building Critical Interdisciplinary AI Studies, IRCAM Artistic Research Residency supported by University College London and the European Research Council, Oct 2021 – Sep 2022
- The Secret Inner Life of the Piano, ZKM EASTN-DC Residency, Aug – Sep 2020
- Cosmologies of the Concert Grand Piano, IRCAM STARTS Residency, May 2019 – Apr 2020
- A Factor Oracle for Timbre, IRCAM Artistic Research Residency, Oct 2014 – Apr 2015
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2014 – 2015
Artistic and Research Statement
My work explores the intersection of instrumental music, field recording, sound installation, and interactive technology, focusing on collaboration and transcription at the center of a creative process questioning the thresholds of perception between instrument, loudspeaker, stage, and place. Artistic practice and technological research support each other in my work to illuminate our experience of music. With the advent of big data, Music Information Retrieval (MIR) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are some of the most exciting fields in the digital humanities today, and the focus of my research and creative activity at the intersection of instrumental composition and interactive technology. As ever-larger databases of recorded sound become available through the internet and digital archives, I would like to open a dialogue between musical practices to address the pressing question of how to make sense of this data and harness it for research, teaching, and music making focusing on three key issues: spatial sound, musical timbre, and computer improvisation.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Mapping the Klangdom Live: Cartographies for Piano with Two Performers and Electronics. Computer Music Journal, 41(1), pp. 61–75. doi:10.1162/COMJ_a_00397.
Publications by category
- Cassidy, A. and Einbond, A. (Eds.), (2013). Noise In And As Music. Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-118-2.
- Einbond, A. (2016). Musique instrumentale concrète: Timbral transcription in What the Blind See and Without Words. In Bresson, J., Agon, C. and Assayag, G. (Eds.), The OM Composer's Book (pp. 155–171). Paris: Editions Delatour/Ircam-Centre Pompidou.
- Einbond, A. (2013). Subtractive Synthesis: noise and digital (un)creativity. In Cassidy, A. and Einbond, A. (Eds.), Noise in and As Music (pp. 57–75). Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-118-2.
- Einbond, A. (2003). Twelve-Note Roots: The fifth and sixth movements of The Death of Moses. In Latham, A. (Ed.), Sing, Ariel Essays and Thoughts for Alexander Goehr's Seventieth Birthday (pp. 217–237). London: Ashgate Publishing, Ltd.. ISBN 978-0-7546-3497-3.
- MacCallum, J. and Einbond, A. Real-Time Analysis of Sensory Dissonance. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (pp. 203–211). Springer Berlin Heidelberg. ISBN 978-3-540-85034-2.
- Einbond, A. (2021). Nordbahnhof for horn and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2020). Cosmologies for piano and three-dimensional electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2020). Cosmologies III for three dimensional fixed electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2019). Attempt at Exhausting a Place for flute, soprano saxophone, viola, percussion, piano, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. and Meireles, M. (2019). London Scenes for fixed stereo electronics. (Vinyl LP)
- Einbond, A., Meireles, M. and Yarn/Wire, (2019). Cities [LP]. (Vinyl LP)
- Einbond, A. (2018). Kate Frankenstein for for bass clarinet, trombone, violoncello, percussion, harp, piano and video.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Central Park for baritone, bass clarinet, trumpet, trombone, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2017). Central Park for trombone and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2016). Hidden in Plain Sight for mezzo-soprano, baritone, clarinet/bass clarinet, violoncello, and electronics. (Site-specific music theatre)
- Einbond, A. (2016). The Kind of Problem a City Is for two percussionists, two keyboard players, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2016). Graphology for violoncello solo, bass flute, bass clarinet, violin, percussion, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2015). String Trio with Field Recording.
- Einbond, A. (2015). Xylography for violoncello and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2014). Cartographies for piano with two performers and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2013). Endangered Sound for orchestra and field recordings.
- Einbond, A. (2012). Without Words for soprano, 11 instruments, and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2012). Resistance for bass clarinet and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2011). Paläontologie for four baroque instruments and four modern instruments.
- Einbond, A. (2010). Passagework for two pianists, two percussionists and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2009). Starting Over for contrabass Paetzold recorder in F and electonics.
- Einbond, A. (2009). What the Blind See for five players and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2008). Beside Oneself for viola and electronics.
- Einbond, A. (2006). Temper for bass clarinet and electronics.
Conference papers and proceedings (13)
- Carpentier, T. and Einbond, A. (2022). 16ème Congrès Français d’Acoustique. 16ème Congrès Français d’Acoustique 11-15 April, Marseille.
- Einbond, A. (2022). Corpus-Based Spatial Sound Synthesis on the IKO Compact Spherical Loudspeaker Array. Ateliers du Forum 23-25 March, IRCAM (Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique).
- Einbond, A., Bresson, J., Schwarz, D. and Carpentier, T. (2021). Instrumental Radiation Patterns as Models for Corpus-Based Spatial Sound Synthesis: Cosmologies for Piano and 3D Electronics. Santiago, Chile.
- Einbond, A. (2020). OpenMusic-Spat-Mubu. Ateliers du Forum 4-6 March, IRCAM (Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique).
- Einbond, A., Schwarz, D., Borghesi, R. and Schnell, N. (2016). Introducing CatOracle: Corpus-based concatenative improvisation with the Audio Oracle algorithm. International Computer Music Conference Utrecht.
- Einbond, A. (2014). Beyond Automatic Genre Classification: Creative music information retrieval. Music and Genre: New Directions 27-28 September, McGill University, Montreal.
- Einbond, A. (2014). Composer as Curator: Uncreativity in recent electroacoustic music. Electroacoustic Music Beyond Performance 10-14 June, Berlin.
- Einbond, A., Trapani, C., Agostini, A., Ghisi, D. and Schwarz, D. (2014). Fine-tuned control of concatenative synthesis with CataRT using the bach library for Max.
- Einbond, A., Trapani, C. and Schwarz, D. (2012). Precise pitch control in real time corpus-based concatenative synthesis.
- Einbond, A. and Schwarz, D. (2010). Spatializing timbre with corpus-based concatenative synthesis.
- Einbond, A., Schwarz, D. and Bresson, J. (2009). Corpus-based transcription as an approach to the compositional control of timbre.
- MacCallum, J. and Einbond, A. (2007). Real-time analysis of sensory dissonance.
- MacCallum, J., Hunt, J. and Einbond, A. (2005). Timbre as a psychoacoustic parameter for harmonic analysis and composition.
- Roche, H., Einbond, A., Morishita, C., Iddon, M., Bauck, M., Alvarez, P. … Murray, M. (2015). Patelea [CD].
- Einbond, A. and van Cauwenberghe, K. (2015). Silent Screen on Give My Regards to 116th Street [CD].
- Einbond, A. and Ensemble Dal Niente, (2013). Without Words [CD].
- Einbond, A., Politano, A. and PRIME Recorder Ensemble, (2012). Just Like Starting Over on Spray [CD].
- Einbond, A. and Yarn Wire, (2010). Passagework on Tone Builders [CD].
- Einbond, A. (2015). CatOracle. Paris: IRCAM Forum.