Professor Timothy Lang
Tim Lang has been Professor of Food Policy at City University London's Centre for Food Policy since 2002. He founded the Centre in 1994. After a PhD in social psychology at Leeds University, he became a hill farmer in the 1970s in the Forest of Bowland, Lancashire which shifted his attention to food policy, where it has been ever since. For years, he's engaged in academic and public research and debate about its direction, locally to globally. His abiding interest is how policy addresses the mixed challenge of being food for the environment, health, social justice, and citizens. What is a good food system? How is ours measured and measuring up?
He has been a consultant to the World Health Organisation (eg auditing the Global Top 25 Food Companies on food and health 2005), FAO (eg co-chairing the FAO definition of sustainable diets 2010) and UNEP (eg co-writing its 2012 Avoiding Future Famines report). He has been a special advisor to four House of Commons Select Committee inquiries, two on food standards (1998-9 & 1999), globalisation (2000) and obesity (2003-04), and a consultant on food security to the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House 2007-09). He was a Commissioner on the UK Government's Sustainable Development Commission (2006-11), reviewing progress on food sustainability. He was on the Council of Food Policy Advisors to the Dept for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (2008-10), and is a member of the Mayor of London's Food Board (2009 – present). He helped launch the 100 World Cities Urban Food Policy Pact in Milan 2015.
He and the Centre for Food Policy at City University London work closely with scientific and civil society organisations, the latter in the UK notably through Sustain (which he chaired in the past), the UK Food Group, and Food & Climate Research Network (Oxford University). He has been Vice-President of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (since 1999) and President of Garden Organic (since 2008). He is special advisor to the Food Research Collaboration, an inter-University, inter-disciplinary academic collaboration with UK civil society (www.foodresearch.org.uk) which he founded, and helped create City’s role in the 5 University IFSTAL partnership (www.ifstal.ac.uk) which shares food systems thinking for post-graduates in a wide range of disciplines.
He has written and co-written many articles, reports, chapters and books. His most recent books are Food Wars (with Michael Heasman, Routledge, 2015), Unmanageable Consumer (with Yiannis Gabriel, Sage, 2015), Ecological Public Health (with Geof Rayner, Routedge Earthscan, 2012), Food Policy (with D Barling and M Caraher, Oxford University Press, 2009) and the Atlas of Food (with E Millstone, Earthscan 2003/2008), which won the André Simon award 2003. He writes frequently in the media and wrote a monthly column in The Grocer 2000-15.
He was elected Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health in 2001, and Fellow by Distinction in 2014. He was elected Hon Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Cooks (City of London) in 2008. He won the BBC R4 Derek Cooper award in 2004, the Observer Lifetime Achievement award in 2007, and the Agri-Bagri Award of the Australia-New Zealand Agri-Food Network also in 2007. He rides a bicycle to work, doesn't own a car and grows vegetables and fruit in his London garden.
His current research interests include:
- The political and policy battles over sustainable diets and the meaning of food security;
- Resolving the institutional case for coherent food policies (pre- and post-Brexit);
- Food democracy and the growth of democratic experimentalism about the future of food;
- The shape and status of EU, UK and global food policies.
BA (Hons), PhD, FFPH, Hon DSc
Professor of Food Policy
2015 Chancellor’s Prize, City University London (Lord Mayor of London)
2014 Fellow by Distinction, Faculty of Public Health
2013 Highly commended award, BMA public health book of the year (for Ecological Public Health)
2009 Highly commended award, BMA public health book of the year (for Food Policy)
2009 Fellow, Prince of Wales Food and Farming Summer School, Royal Agricultural College/Organic Research Centre
2009 Honorary Doctor of Science, University of Lincoln
2008 Honorary Freeman, Worshipful Company of Cooks of the City of London
2008 Honorary Fellowship, University of Wales Institute at Cardiff
2007 Agri-Bagri Award, Agri-Food Network of Australia and New Zealand
2007 Observer Lifetime / Hall of Fame Award, UK
2004 Citation (runner up) for Sicco Manshot Prize, The Hague, NL
2004 BBC Radio 4 Food Derek Cooper Award, UK
2003 Caroline Walker Trust award, UK
2003 André Simon Food Book of the Year (for Millstone & Lang The Atlas of Food)
1990 Glenfiddich Award for the work of the London Food Commission 1984-90
Journalism related to academic work
A monthly column for The Grocer, since January 2000, currently by-lined as Second Column:
- The definition, articulation and governance of sustainable diets
- Food security
- How institutional structures help and hinder moves towards integrated food policies
- Food democracy and the growth of democratic experimentalism
- The shape and status of EU and UK food policies
- Brunori, G., Galli, F., Barjolle, D., Broekhuizen, R.V., Colombo, L., Giampietro, M., Kirwan, J., Lang, T., Mathijs, E., Maye, D., Roest, K.D., Rougoor, C., Schwarz, J., Schmitt, E., Smith, J., Stojanovic, Z., Tisenkopfs, T. and Touzard, J.-.M. (May 2016). Are Local Food Chains More Sustainable than Global Food Chains? Considerations for Assessment. Sustainability, 8(5), 449-449.
- Macdiarmid, J.I., Lang, T. and Haines, A. (22 Mar 2016). Down with food waste. BMJ-BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 352, . doi: 10.1136/bmj.i1380
- Smith, J., Lang, T., Vorley, B. and Barling, D. (01 Jan 2016). Addressing policy challenges for more sustainable local-global food Chains: Policy frameworks and possible food "futures". Sustainability (Switzerland), 8(4). doi: 10.3390/su8040299
- Wallinga, D., Rayner, G. and Lang, T. (01 Oct 2015). Antimicrobial resistance and biological governance: Explanations for policy failure. Public Health, 129(10), 1314-1325. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2015.08.012
- Lang, T.M. and Rayner, G. (29 Sep 2015). Beyond the Golden Era of public health: charting a path from sanitarianism to ecological public health. Public Health, 129(10), 1369-1382. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2015.07.042
- Brinsden, H. and Lang, T. (12 Oct 2015). Reflecting on ICN2: Was it a game changer?. Archives of Public Health, 73(42), 1-7. doi: 10.1186/s13690-015-0091-y
- Lang, T.M. (Jan 2015). Sustainable Diets: hairshirts or a better food future?. Development, 57(2), 240-256.
- Rayner, G. and Lang, T.M. (16 Oct 2015). What is the point of public health in the 21st century?. Public Health, 129(10), 1309-1313. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2015.09.001
- Gatley, A., Caraher, M. and Lang, T. (Apr 2014). A qualitative, cross cultural examination of attitudes and behaviour in relation to cooking habits in France and Britain.. Appetite, 75, 71-81. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2013.12.014
- Ashton, J.R., Middleton, J. and Lang, T. (2014). Open letter to Prime Minister David Cameron on food poverty in the UK. The Lancet.
- Lang, T. and Barling, D. (Feb 2013). Nutrition and sustainability: an emerging food policy discourse.. Proc Nutr Soc, 72(1), 1-12. doi: 10.1017/S002966511200290X
- Seed, B., Lang, T.M., Caraher, M. and Ostry, A. (2013). Integrating Community Food Security into Public Health and Provincial Government Departments in British Columbia, Canada. Agriculture and Human Values, 30(3), 457-470. doi: 10.1007/s10460-013-9426-x
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (2013). UK Food Policy: Can we get it on the right track?. Food Ethics, 8(3), 4-7.
- Lang, T. and Barling, D. (01 Dec 2012). Food security and food sustainability: Reformulating the debate. Geographical Journal, 178(4), 313-326. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-4959.2012.00480.x
- Hawkes, C., Friel, S., Lobstein, T. and Lang, T. (01 Jun 2012). Linking agricultural policies with obesity and noncommunicable diseases: A new perspective for a globalising world. Food Policy, 37(3), 343-353. doi: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.02.011
- Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (2012). Ecological public health: the 21st century's big idea? An essay by Tim Lang and Geof Rayner.. BMJ, 345, e5466.
- Nestle, M., James, W.P.T., Annan, R., Margetts, B., Geissler, C., Kuhnlein, H., Schuftan, C., Cannon, G., Yngve, A., Popkin, B., Uauy, R., Jonsson, U., Rayner, G. and Lang, T.M. (2012). Looking into the future, what do we see?. World Nutrition, 3(4), 119-163.
- Lang, T.M. (2012). Public health and nutrition: where do we go?. World Nutrition, 3(4), 92-118.
- Rayner, G. and Lang, T. (2011). Is nudge an effective public health strategy to tackle obesity? No.. BMJ, 342, d2177.
- Pretty, J., Sutherland, W.J., Ashby, J., Auburn, J., Baulcombe, D., Bell, M., Bentley, J., Bickersteth, S., Brown, K., Burke, J., Campbell, H., Chen, K., Crowley, E., Crute, I., Dobbelaere, D., Edwards-Jones, G., Funes-Monzote, F., Godfray, H.C.J., Griffon, M., Gypmantisiri, P., Haddad, L., Halavatau, S., Herren, H., Holderness, M., Izac, A.M., Jones, M., Koohafkan, P., Lal, R., Lang, T., McNeely, J., Mueller, A., Nisbett, N., Noble, A., Pingali, P., Pinto, Y., Rabbinge, R., Ravindranath, N.H., Rola, A., Roling, N., Sage, C., Settle, W., Sha, J.M., Shiming, L., Simons, T., Smith, P., Strzepeck, K., Swaine, H., Terry, E., Tomich, T.P., Toulmin, C., Trigo, E., Twomlow, S., Vis, J.K., Wilson, J. and Pilgrim, S. (30 Nov 2010). The top 100 questions of importance to the future of global agriculture. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 8(4), 219-236. doi: 10.3763/ijas.2010.0534
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (2010). Food Policy in the UK: Reflections on Food 2030 before and after. Food Ethics, 5(2), 4-7.
- Lang, T.M. and Rayner, G. (Feb 2010). A healthy choice?. Primary Health Care, 21(1).
- Lang, T. (Jan 2010). Crisis? What Crisis? The Normality of the Current Food Crisis. JOURNAL OF AGRARIAN CHANGE, 10(1), 87-97.
- Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (14 Jul 2010). Corporate responsibility in public health. BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 341. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c3758
- Lang, T. (28 May 2010). From value-for-money to values-for-money: Ethical food and policy in Europe. Environment and Planning A, 42(8), 1814-1832. doi: 10.1068/a4258
- Lang, T. (01 Jul 2009). Reshaping the food system for ecological public health. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 4(3-4), 315-335. doi: 10.1080/19320240903321227
- Barling, D., Sharpe, R. and Lang, T. (01 Dec 2009). Traceability and ethical concerns in the UK wheat-bread chain: From food safety to provenance to transparency. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 7(4), 261-278. doi: 10.3763/ijas.2009.0331
- Lang, T. (Apr 2009). What President Obama can do in the world. PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION, 12(4), 581-583. doi: 10.1017/S1368980009005436
- Millstone, E. and Lang, T. (12 Jul 2008). Risking regulatory capture at the UK's Food Standards Agency?. LANCET, 372(9633), 94-95. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61012-0
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Sharpe, R. (2008). Food Capacity: the root of the problem. Royal Society of Arts Journal, CLIV(5533), 22-27.
- Keller, I. and Lang, T. (Aug 2008). Food-based dietary guidelines and implementation: lessons from four countries - Chile, Germany, New Zealand and South Africa. PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITION, 11(8), 867-874. doi: 10.1017/S1368980007001115
- Gabriel, Y. and Lang, T. (01 Dec 2008). New faces and new masks of today's consumer. Journal of Consumer Culture, 8(3), 321-340. doi: 10.1177/1469540508095266
- Rayner, J., Barling, D. and Lang, T. (2008). Sustainable Food Systems in Europe: policies, realities and futures. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition, 3(2-3), 145-168. doi: 10.1080/19320240802243209
- Lang, T. (2007). The food wars in Europe. ANNALS OF NUTRITION AND METABOLISM, 51, 22-23.
- Wrieden, W.L., Anderson, A.S., Longbottom, P.J., Valentine, K., Stead, M., Caraher, M., Lang, T., Gray, B. and Dowler, E. (01 Feb 2007). The impact of a community-based food skills intervention on cooking confidence, food preparation methods and dietary choices - An exploratory trial. Public Health Nutrition, 10(2), 203-211. doi: 10.1017/S1368980007246658
- Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (Mar 2007). Overcoming policy cacophony on obesity: an ecological public health framework for policymakers. OBESITY REVIEWS, 8, 165-181. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00338.x
- Lang, T. (19 May 2007). Functional foods. BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 334(7602), 1015-1016. doi: 10.1136/bmj.39212.592477.BE
- Lang, T. (Oct 2006). Food, the law and public health: three models of the relationship.. Public Health, 120 Suppl, 30-40. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2006.07.013
- Lang, T. (02 Nov 2006). What to eat: An aisle-by-aisle guide to savvy food choices and good eating. NATURE, 444(7115), 38-38. doi: 10.1038/444038a
- Rayner, G., Hawkes, C., Lang, T. and Bello, W. (01 Dec 2006). Trade liberalization and the diet transition: a public health response.. Health promotion international, 21 Suppl 1, 67-74. doi: 10.1093/heapro/dal053
- Pretty, J.N., Ball, A.S., Lang, T. and Morison, J.I.L. (Feb 2005). Farm costs and food miles: An assessment of the full cost of the UK weekly food basket. FOOD POLICY, 30(1), 1-19. doi: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2005.02.001
- Lang, T., Rayner, G., Rayner, M., Barling, D. and Millstone, E. (Feb 2005). Policy councils on food, nutrition and physical activity: the UK as a case study.. Public Health Nutr, 8(1), 11-19.
- Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (Nov 2005). Obesity: a growing issue for European policy?. JOURNAL OF EUROPEAN SOCIAL POLICY, 15(4), 301-327. doi: 10.1177/095892870S057263
- Hewson, C.J. and Lang, T. (26 Nov 2005). Human and animal health: strengthening the links - Animal and human case for reforming current food policies. BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 331(7527), 1268-1268. doi: 10.1136/bmj.331.7527.1268
- Lang, T. and Heasman, M. (2004). Diet and Nutrition Policy: A clash of ideas or investment?. Development, 47(2), 64-74.
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (01 Jan 2003). The Politics of UK Food Policy: An Overview. Political Quarterly, 74(1), 4-7+141.
- Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (2003). Food and health strategy in the UK: A policy impact analysis. POLITICAL QUARTERLY, 74(1), 66-75. doi: 10.1111/1467-923X.00513
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (01 Jan 2003). A Reluctant Food Policy? The First Five Years of Food Policy under Labour. Political Quarterly, 74(1), 8-18+141.
- Lang, T. (Dec 2003). Food Industrialisation and Food Power: Implications for Food Governance. Development Policy Review, 21(5-6), 555-568.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Caraher, M. (01 Dec 2002). Joined-up food policy? The trials of governance, public policy and the food system. Social Policy and Administration, 36(6), 556-574.
- Lang, T.M. (28 Oct 2015). Food Wars: the Global Battle for Mouths, Minds and Markets. (2). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Lang, T. and Heasman, M. (01 Jan 2015). Food wars: The global battle for mouths, minds and markets, second edition. doi: 10.4324/9781315754116
- Gabriel, Y. and Lang, T.M. (Sep 2015). The Unmanageable Consumer. (3). London: Sage.
- Rayner, G. and Lang, T. (19 Jun 2013). Ecological Public Health. Routledge. ISBN: 1136482709.
- Alder, J., Barling, D., Dugan, P., Herren, H.R. and Josupeit, H. (2012). Avoiding Future Famines: Strengthening the Ecological Foundation of Food Security through Sustainable Food Systems. A UNEP Synthesis Report. UNEP.
- Lang, T., Barling, D. and Caraher, M. (19 Mar 2009). Food Policy: Integrating health, environment and society. doi: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198567882.001.0001
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Caraher, M. (2009). Food Policy: integrating health, environment and society. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Millstone, E. and Lang, T. (2008). The Atlas of Food. Earthscan / James & James. ISBN: 1844074994.
- Gabriel, Y. and Lang, T. (07 Apr 2006). The Unmanageable Consumer. SAGE. ISBN: 1412918936.
- Heasman, M. and Lang, T. (2004). Food Wars. Earthscan. ISBN: 113653508X.
- Lang, T.M. and Hines, C. (1993). The New Protectionism. London, UK: Earthscan.
- Lang, T. and Clutterbuck, C. (1991). P Is for Pesticides. Vintage. ISBN: 0852239688.
- Lang, T.M. (1988). Food Adulteration and How to Beat It. Unwin Hyman. ISBN: 0044402120.
- Webb, T. and Lang, T.M. (1987). Food Irradiation: the Myth and the Reality. Wellingborough, UK: Thorsons.
- Clutterbuck, C. and Lang, T. (1982). More Than We Can Chew. Pluto Press.
- Gabriel, Y. (). The Unmanageable Consumer. London: Sage.
- Rayner, G. and Lang, T.M. (). Ecological Public Health: reshaping the conditions for good health. Abingdon: Routledge Earthscan.
- Lang, T.M. and Heasman, M.K. (09 Oct 2015). Food Wars. (Ed.), Food Wars (2). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Lang, T.M. (21 Sep 2015). The Emergence of Contemporary Consumerism. (Ed.), The Unmanageable Consumer (pp. 7-24) (3rd). London: SAGE. ISBN: 1473933765.
- Lang, T. and Ingram, J. (30 Jan 2014). Food Security Twists and Turns: Why Food Systems need Complex Governance. (Ed.), Addressing Tipping Points for a Precarious Future doi: 10.5871/bacad/9780197265536.003.0005
- Lang, T.M. and Caraher, M. (28 Feb 2013). Influencing international policy. Guest, C., Ricciardi, W., Kawachi, I. and Lang, I. (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Public Health Practice (pp. ) Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0199586306.
- Lang, T.M. (2012). Sustainable diets and biodiversity: The challenge for policy, evidence and behaviour change. Organization, F.A.A. (Ed.), Sustainable Diets and Biodiversity (pp. ) Food & Agriculture Org. ISBN: 9251073112.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Lele, U. (2012). Increasing Resource Efficiencies: Sustainable Consumption and Production in Food Systems. Alder, J. (Ed.), Avoiding Future Famines: Strengthening the Ecological Foundation of Food Security through Sustainable Food Systems (pp. 29-38) Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Programme.
- Lang, T.M., Caraher, M. and Wu, M. (31 Oct 2010). Meat and Policy: Charting a Course Through the Complexity. D'Silva, J. and Webster, J. (Ed.), The Meat Crisis (pp. ) Earthscan / James & James. ISBN: 1844079031.
- Lang, T.M., Caraher, M. and Wu, M. (2010). Meat and Policy: Charting a Course through the Complexity. d'Silva, J. and Webster, J. (Ed.), The Meat Crisis: Developing More Sustainable Production and Consumption Earthscan.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Sharpe, R. (2010). The re-emergence of UK National Food Security on the policy agenda: sustainability challenges and the politics of food supply. Lawrence, G., Lyons, K. and Wallington, T. (Ed.), Food security, Nutrition and Sustainability: New Challenges, Future Options (pp. 61-78) London: Earthscan.
- Lang, T.M., Barling, D. and Sharpe, L. (2010). The Re-emergence of National Food Security on the United Kingdom’s Strategic Policy Agenda Sustainability Challenges and the Politics of Food Supply. Lawrence, G., Lyons, K. and Wallington, T. (Ed.), Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainability (pp. ) Routledge. ISBN: 1136545654.
- Lang, T.M. (2010). Conclusion: Big Choices about the Food System. Lawrence, G., Lyons, K. and Wallington, T. (Ed.), Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainability (pp. 271-288) Routledge. ISBN: 1136545654.
- Lang, T.M. (14 Dec 2009). Obesity: Using the ecological public health approach to overcome policy cacophony. Kopelman, P.G., Caterson, I.D. and Dietz, W.H. (Ed.), Clinical Obesity in Adults and Children (pp. 452-470) Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN: 1405182261.
- Lang, T.M. (31 Dec 2009). Big Choices about the Food System. Lawrence, G., Lyons, K. and Wallington, T. (Ed.), Food security, nutrition and sustainability (pp. 271-288) Earthscan / James & James. ISBN: 1844077756.
- Rayner, G. and Lang, T.M. (28 Sep 2009). Obesity: using the ecologic public health approach to overcome policy cacophony. Kopelman, P.G., Caterson, I.D. and Dietz, W.H. (Ed.), Clinical Obesity in Adults and Children (pp. ) John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 1444307630.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Sharpe, R. (2008). Ethical Traceability in the UK Wheat-Flour-Bread-Chain. Coff, C., Barling, D., Korthals, M. and Nielson, T. (Ed.), Ethical traceability and communicating food (pp. 125-165) Dordrecht: Springer.
- Lang, T.M. (29 Dec 2008). Sustainable Development. Gabriel, Y. (Ed.), Organizing words (pp. 292-294) Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN: 0199213216.
- Lang, T.M. (2008). Sustainable Development. Gabriel, Y. (Ed.), Organizing Words Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0199213216.
- Sharpe, R., Barling, D. and Lang, T.M. (12 Jun 2008). Ethical traceability in the UK wheat-flour-bread chain. Barling, D. and Korthals, M. (Ed.), Ethical Traceability and Communicating Food (pp. ) Springer. ISBN: 1402085249.
- Lang, T.M. (2007). The Environmental Impact of Supermarkets: mapping the terrain and the policy positions in the UK. Burch, D. (Ed.), Supermarkets and agri-food supply chains (pp. 192-215) Edward Elgar Pub. ISBN: 1845427262.
- Lang, T. and Barling, D. (01 Jan 2007). The Environmental Impact of Supermarkets: mapping the terrain and the policy positions in the UK. Burch, D. and Lawrence, G. (Ed.), Supermarkets and Agri-Food Supply Chains (pp. ) Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN: 1845427262.
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (25 Apr 2005). Trading on health: cross-continental production-consumption tensions and the governance of international food standards. Fold, N. and Pritchard, B. (Ed.), Cross-Continental Agro-Food Chains (pp. ) Psychology Press. ISBN: 0203448170.
- Lang, T. (01 Jan 2005). WHAT IS FOOD AND FARMING FOR? - THE (RE)EMERGENCE OF HEALTH AS A KEY POLICY DRIVER. Buttel, F.H. and McMichael, P. (Ed.), (pp. 123-144) EMERALD GROUP PUBLISHING LIMITED. doi: 10.1016/S1057-1922(05)11005-1
- Barling, D. (2003). Agricultural Biodiversity. Millstone, E. and Lang, T. (Ed.), The Atlas of Food: Who Eats What, Where and Why London, UK: Earthscan.
- Beauman, C., Cannon, G., Elmadfa, I., Glasauer, P., Hoffmann, I., Keller, M., Krawinkel, M., Lang, T., Leitzmann, C., Lotsch, B., Margetts, B.M., McMichael, A.J., Meyer-Abich, K., Oltersdorf, U., Pettoello-Mantovani, M., Sabate, J., Shetty, P., Soria, M., Spiekermann, U., Tudge, C., Vorster, H.H., Wahlqvist, M. and Zerilli-Marimo, M. (Sep 2005). The principles, definition and dimensions of the new nutrition science. , doi: 10.1079/PHN2005820
- Lang, T. (Sep 2005). Food control or food democracy? Re-engaging nutrition with society and the environment. , doi: 10.1079/PHN2005772
- Lang, T.M. Reshaping the Food System for Ecological Public Health. Food Systems and Public Health: Linkages to Achieve Healthier Diets and Healthier Communities, 01 Apr 2009, Warrenton, Virginia.
- Bailey, A., Lang, T.M. and Schoen, V. (08 Jun 2016). Does the CAP still fit?. London: Food Research Collaboration.
- Lang, T.M. and Schoen, V. (07 Mar 2016). Food, the UK and the EU: Brexit or Bremain?. London: Food Research Collaboration.
- Schoen, V., Hashem, K., McDonald, L., Parker, J., Savelyeva, A. and Lang, T. (Jun 2015). Does Sugar Pass the Environmental and Social Test?. London: Food Research Collaboration.
- Schoen, V. and Lang, T. (Jun 2015). Should the UK be concerned about sugar?. London: Food Research Collaboration.
- Schoen, V. and Lang, T. (Jul 2014). UK Food Prices: cooling or bubbling?. London: Food Research Collaboration.
- Lang, T.M. (Jan 2013). Food Matters: An integrative approach to food policy. Paris, France: OECD.
- Lang, T.M., Dibb, S. and Reddy, S. (2011). Looking Forward, Looking Back.
- Ambler-Edwards, S., Bailey, K., Kiff, A. and Lang, T.M. (2009). Food Futures: Rethinking UK Strategy. London, UK: Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House).
- Lang, T.M. (2009). Setting the Table: Advice to Government on priority elements of sustainable diets. London: Sustainable Development Commission.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Rayner, G. (2009). Current Trends in European retailing and consumption and key choices facing society.
- Lang, T.M. (2009). How new is the world food crisis? Thoughts on the long dynamic of Food Democracy, Food Control and Food Policy in the 21st Century. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University.
- Barling, D., Sharpe, R. and Lang, T. (2008). Re-thinking Britain's Food Security.
- Lang, T.M. (2008). Green, Healthy and Fair: a review of government's role in supporting sustainable supermarket food. London: Sustainable Development Commission.
- Barling, D., Lang, T. and Sharpe, R. (2008). Towards a National Sustainable Food Security Policy: A project to map the policy interface between Food Security and Sustainable Food Supply.
- Barling, D. and Lang, T. (2003). Codex, the EU and Developing Countries: an analysis of developments in international food standards setting.
- Lang, T. and Barling, D. (2000). Memorandum: A European Food Authority. London, UK: The Stationery Office.
- Trichopoulou, A., Millstone, E., Lang, T., Eames, M., Barling, D., Naska, A. and van Zwanenberg, P. (2000). European Policy on Food Safety.
- Lang, T.M. and Schoen, V. Horticulture in the UK: potential for meeting dietary guideline demands. London: Food Research Collaboration.