Dr Miriam Conway
Miriam is an orthoptist who joined City University London in 2007. She previously worked at as a lecturer and researcher at Aston University and as an orthoptist at a number of hospitals in the West Midlands.
Miriam studied at Liverpool University where she obtained her degree in Orthoptics. After qualifying she worked at a number of hospitals in the West Midlands first as an orthoptist, then senior orthoptist and finally a specialist advanced orthoptist. In 2000 she started studying for her PhD in Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics at Aston University. After gaining her PhD she worked as both a visiting lecturer and research fellow at Aston University. In 2007 Miriam moved to City University London where she worked initially as a research fellow and then as a lecturer. Her main area of research has been investigation of ocular side effects attributed to anticonvulsant drugs, ocular blood flow associated with ocular and systemic disease, visual impairment and binocular vision.
BSc (Hons) Orthoptics; PhD
- BSc (Hons) Orthoptics 1998
- PhD Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics 1994
Administrative roles/Clinical activity
- Member of the Teaching and Learning Committee, City University London, UK
- Member of the Student Experience Committee, City University London, UK
- Reviewing of grant applications for, e.g., Epilepsy Action, UK, Action Medical Research.
- Assistant Clinic director of the Binocular Vision and Pediatric Clinic
- Lead Clinician to provide secondary screening contract for all children in Camden Primary Care Trust, London
- Reviewer for various scientific journals inc. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Graefe's Archives for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
- Binocular Vision & Paediatric Clinic
Memberships of professional bodies
- Councils for Professions Allied to Medicine
- British and Irish Orthoptic Society
- Investigation of ocular side effects attributed to anticonvulsant drugs
- Improving the quality of low vision services for visually impaired adults and children in the United Kingdom
- Ocular blood flow associated with ocular and systemic disease
- Binocular Vision
- Hanna Gillespie-Gallery
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Subramanian, A. and Conway, M.L. (2012). A Comparative Analysis Of Rehabilitation Services For Visually Impaired People Worldwide. ARVO Meeting .
- Subramanian, A., Gillespie-Gallery, H. and Conway, M.L. (2012). The role of the Eye Cinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) - A diary study. ARVO Meeting .
- Conway, M.L., Gillespie-Gallery, H., Yang, Y.C., Reddy, G., Mathews, J. and Subramanian, A. (2012). Investigating Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) using quality of life questionnaires? ARVO Meeting .
- Conway, M.L., Hosking, S. and Cubbidge, L. (2010). Multifocal electroretinogram evidence reveals that vigabatrin toxicity is dependent on retinal laye. ARVO Meeting .
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Conway, M. and Subramanian, A. (2010). The opinions of eye care professionals on patient related, low vision services in the UK. Optometry Tomorrow York,UK.
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Conway, M.L. and Subramanian, A. (2010). Services for Visually Impaired People in the UK: Is There Room for Improvement? ARVO Meeting .
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Subramanian, A. and Conway, M. (2010). Evaluating the Impact of Eye Care Liaison Officers. Vision UK 2010 Conference Birmingham, UK.
- Conway, M.L., Evans, B.J.W., Evans, J.C. and Suttle, C.M. (2016). Does Gender Influence Colour Choice in the Treatment of Visual Stress? PLOS ONE, 11(9) . doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0163326.
- Grant, S. and Conway, M.L. (2015). Reach-to-precision grasp deficits in amblyopia: Effects of object contrast and low visibility. Vision Research, 114, pp. 100–110. doi:10.1016/j.visres.2014.11.009.
- Conway, M.L., Hosking, S.L., Zhu, H. and Cubbidge, R.P. (2014). Does the Swedish Interactive Threshold Algorithm (SITA) accurately map visual field loss attributed to vigabatrin? BMC Ophthalmology, 14(1) . doi:10.1186/1471-2415-14-166.
- Grant, S., Suttle, C., Melmoth, D.R., Conway, M.L. and Sloper, J.J. (2014). Age- and stereovision-dependent eye–hand coordination deficits in children with amblyopia and abnormal binocularity. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, 55(9), pp. 5687–5701. doi:10.1167/iovs.14-14745.
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Subramanian, A. and Conway, M.L. (2013). Micro-costing the provision of emotional support and information in UK eye clinics. BMC Health Services Research, 13(1) . doi:10.1186/1472-6963-13-482.
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Conway, M.L. and Subramanian, A. (2012). Are rehabilitation services for patients in UK eye clinics adequate? A survey of eye care professionals. Eye (Lond) . doi:10.1038/eye.2012.141.
- Conway, M. and Hosking, S.L. (2012). Investigation of Ocular Hemodynamics in Sturge-Weber Syndrome. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 89(6), pp. 922–928. doi:10.1097/OPX.0b013e318257a242.
- Conway, M.L., Thomas, J. and Subramanian, A. (2012). Is the aligning prism measured with the mallett unit correlated with fusional vergence reserves? PLoS ONE, 7(8) .
- Conway, M.L., Wevill, M., Benavente-Perez, A. and Hosking, S.L. (2010). Ocular blood-flow hemodynamics before and after application of a laser in situ keratomileusis ring. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 36(2), pp. 268–272. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2009.09.013.
- Conway, M.L., Cubbidge, R.P. and Hosking, S.L. (2008). Visual field severity indices demonstrate dose dependent visual loss from Vigabatrin therapy. Epilepsia, 49, pp. 108–116.
- Harding, G.F.A., Spencer, E.L., Wild, J.M., Conway, M. and Bohn, R.L. (2002). Field-specific visual-evoked potentials: identifying field defects in vigabatrin-treated children. Neurology, 58(8), pp. 1261–1265.
- Subramanian A, , Conway, M.L. and Gillespie-Gallery H, (2011). The role of eye clinic liaison officers..
- Gillespie-Gallery, H., Subramanian, A. and Conway, M. (2012). A Comparative Analysis Of Rehabilitation Services For Visually Impaired People Worldwide.
- Subramanian, A., Conway, M., Gillespie-Gallery, H. and Yang, Y.C. (2012). Investigating Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) using quality of life questionnaires?
- Subramanian, A., Gillespie-Gallery, H. and Conway, M. The role of the Eye Cinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) - A diary study.
Modules taught on
- Binocular vision second year (undergraduate)
- Binocular vision & paediatrics third year (undergraduate)
- Clinical skills second year (undergraduate)
- Binocular vision (masters level)
- Optometrist with Special Interest Training Course
- Cyprus (2013).
Description: 12th educational congress of optometry and optics
- UK (2011).
Description: Royal National Institute of Blind Peopl
- UK (2010).
Description: Macular Disease Society
- UK (2009).
Description: Eye Care Liaison Officers Conference
- UK (2007).
Description: Sturge-Weber Conference
- UK (2005).
Description: Sturge-Weber Conference
- Paediatric Clinic Manger at the Fight for Sight Clinic, Bath Street.