Dr Elaine Fahey
Dr Elaine Fahey is Senior Lecturer and Associate Dean (International) at the Institute for the Study of European Law (ISEL), the City Law School, City University London. She was previously a Senior Postdoctoral Researcher at Amsterdam Centre for European Law & Governance (ACELG) at the University of Amsterdam from 2011-2014, a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI), Florence (2009-2011) and was previously an Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer in Law in Ireland (Dublin Institute of Technology; Trinity College Dublin). She has practised as a Barrister and was Chairperson of the Irish Society for European Law. She has been a visiting fellow at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, the College of Europe, Bruges, the Institute for Advanced Legal Studies and the Global Governance Programme, Robert Schuman Centre, EUI, Florence. She has been a stagiaire at the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg, a Judicial Research Assistant, Four Courts, Dublin and a Judicial Extern, Los Angeles District Court.
Her research interests span the relationship between EU law and global governance, the EU’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice and the study of postnational rule-making, and are the subject of over 40 publications including books, articles, edited volumes and special issues, including a forthcoming monograph, The Global Reach of EU Law (Routledge, forthcoming) and the multi-disciplinary edited volumes The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making: Conceptual Challenges of European and International Law (Routledge, 2015) and A Transatlantic Community of Law (Cambridge University Press, 2014).
In 2016, she has been awarded a British Academy/ Leverhulme Research Grant for the project Between Internal Laws and Global Practices: UN Instruments in the EU’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice and will be an Emile Noël fellow at NYU Law School in 2017.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (Trinity College Dublin)
Master of Law (LL.M) (European) (Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge)
Ph.D. in Law (Trinity College Dublin)
Attorney-at-law (State of New York)
Barrister-at-law (Honorable Society of Kings’ Inns, Dublin)
- Fahey, E. (01 Feb 2016). Joining the Dots: External Norms, AFSJ Directives and the EU's Role in the Global Legal Order. EUROPEAN LAW REVIEW, 41(1), 105-121.
- Fahey, E. (May 2014). On the Use of Law in Transatlantic Relations: Legal Dialogues between the EU and US. European Law Journal, 20(3), 368-384. doi: 10.1111/eulj.12046
- Fahey, (2014). EU Foreign Relations Law: Litigating to Incite Openness of EU Negotiations. European journal of risk regulation : EJRR.
- Fahey, (2014). EU’S Cybercrime and Cyber Security Rule-Making: Mapping the Internal and External Dimensions of EU Security. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 5(1), 46-60.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2013). Judicial Review of Eurozone Law- The Adjudication of Postnational Norms in the EU Courts, Plural. A Casestudy of the European Stability Mechanism. Michigan Journal of International Law Online, 101-111.
- Fahey, E. (01 Jan 2013). Law and Governance as Checks and Balances in Transatlantic Security: Rights, Redress, and Remedies in EU-US Passenger Name Records and the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program. Yearbook of European Law, 32(1), 368-388. doi: 10.1093/yel/yet012
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2013). European Integration Through Law- Emerging Scholarship Project. Michigan Journal of International Law Online, 101-111.
- Fahey, (2012). The EU Emission Trading Scheme and the Court of Justice: the High Politics of the indirect promotion of global standards. German Law Journal, 13(11), 1247-1268.
- Eckes, C., Fahey, and Kanetake, M. (2012). The Validity of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA): Perspectives from European Union, US and International Law. Currents, International Trade Law Journal, 20(2), 20-44.
- Fahey, and Hernell-Karnell, E. (2012). Introduction: EU Law qua Global Governance Law. German Law Journal, 13(11), 1147-1150.
- Fahey, E. (Jul 2011). Does the Emperor Have Financial Crisis Clothes? Reflections on the Legal Basis of the European Banking Authority. The Modern Law Review, 74(4), 581-595. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2230.2011.00861.x
- Fahey, (2010). Swimming in a sea of law: Reflections on water borders, Irish (-British)-Euro Relations and opting-out and opting-in after the Treaty of Lisbon. Common Market Law Review, 47(3), 673-707.
- Fahey, (2009). Interpretive legitimacy and the distinction between “social assistance” and “work seekers allowance”. European Law Review, 34, 933-949.
- Fahey, (2009). Going Back to Basics: Re-embracing the Fundamentals of the Free Movement of Persons in Metock. Legal Issues of Economic Integration, 36(1), 83-89.
- Fahey, (2008). Being a Third Pillar Guardian of Fundamental Rights? The Irish Supreme Court and the European arrest warrant. European Law Review, 33(4), 563-576.
- Fahey, (2007). Reflections on the Scope of The European Union (Scrutiny) Act, 2002. European Public Law, 13, 85-96.
- Fahey, (2017). The Global Reach of EU law. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- (2017). Framing the Subjects and Objects of EU law. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Fahey, E. (16 Jul 2015). The actors of postnational rule-making: Contemporary challenges of European and international law. doi: 10.4324/9781315719399
- Fahey, (2014). A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Schweppe, J., Kennedy, R., Fahey, E. and Donnelly, L. (2011). How to Think, Write and Cite: Key Skills for Irish Law Students.
- Fahey, E. (2010). EU Law in Ireland. Dublin: Clarus press. ISBN: 1905536305.
- Fahey, E. and O'Connor, C. (01 Jan 2009). Súil ar an dlí. Dublin: Lonsdale Blackwell Publishing. ISBN: 1907325042.
- Fahey, E. (2007). Practice and Procedure in Preliminary References to Europe. Dublin: Firstlaw. ISBN: 1904480578.
- Fahey, E. (16 Jul 2015). Introduction: Framing the actors of postnational rule-making. Fahey, E. (Ed.), The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making: Contemporary challenges of European and International Law (pp. 1-23) Routledge.
- Fahey, (01 Oct 2015). Transatlantic Criminal law. Mitsilegas, V.M., Konstadinides, T. and Bergström, M. (Ed.), Research Handbook on EU Criminal Law Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. ISBN: 1783473304.
- Fahey, (2015). Between One-Shotters and Repeat Hitters: A Retrospective on the role of the European Parliament in the EU-US PNR Litigation. Nicol, F. and Davies, B. (Ed.), EU Law Stories Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fahey, and Bardutzky, S. (2014). Judicial Review of legal instruments of the Eurozone. Adams, M., Larouche, P. and Fabbrini, F. (Ed.), The Constitutionalisation of European Budgetary Constraints (pp. 341-358) Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Fahey, (2014). Towards a Transatlantic Community of Law? The Use of Law between the EU and US Legal Orders: Questions of Legal Form and Characterisation. Fahey, E. and Curtain, D. (Ed.), A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fahey, and Bartl, M. (2014). A Postnational Marketplace: Negotiating the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP). Fahey, E. and Curtin, D. (Ed.), A Transatlantic Community of Law: Legal Perspectives on the Relationship between the EU and US legal orders Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fahey, and Santos Vara, J. (2014). Transatlantic Relations and Flexibility within the AFSJ. Blockmans, S. (Ed.), Differentiated Integration in the EU from the inside looking out Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Fahey, (2012). Jagged-Edged Jigsaw: The Limits of Multi-Speed Integration and AFSJ Policy. Trybus, M. and Rubini, L. (Ed.), The Future of EU Law and Policy Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Fahey, and Cahill, D. (2008). Ireland-Competition law and Article 234 EC. Rodger, B. (Ed.), Article 234 EC and Competition Law: An Analysis Hague: Kluwer.
- Fahey, (01 Sep 2016). Joining the Dots: External Norms, AFSJ Directives and the EU’s Role in Global Legal Order. London: The City Law School.
EU in Global Legal Order LLB 3
- European Papers
- Routledge/UACES CES book series editorship
- On really response rule-making: the TTIP negotiations, 02 Oct 2014, EUtopialaw (Online) http://eutopialaw.com/2014/10/02/on-really-responsive-rule-making-the-eu-us-transatlantic-trade-and-investment-partnership-ttip-negotiations/