Overview of Inter-Library Loans
Library Services provides access to key resources to support your studies, but there might be something you need for an essay, dissertation or research project that we don’t have in our collection.
The Inter-Library Loans service allows you to request items not available in our collection for your academic use: once you place a request, the team will start trying to order the item from another library:
- Students and staff of City, University of London can place requests (this includes INTO City students)
- We aim to process all new requests within 48 hours
- We try to obtain requested items as quickly as possible but we cannot guarantee to meet specific deadlines
- In most cases you will receive your request within 7 days: we will let you know if there is a delay with your request
- Books obtained from the British Library can be borrowed for 5 weeks; books from other libraries can often be borrowed for longer
- In most cases books can be renewed (see Renewals)
- Documents (e.g. journal articles) ordered from the British Library can be supplied by electronic delivery or as photocopies which you may keep.
Making your request
In order to make a request you will need to click on one of the links below and log in using your City username and password:
- Book or report
- Journal article
- Book chapter
- Conference proceedings
- Thesis (non-UK or non-PhD only. Request UK PhD theses from EThOS).
- Before making a request check CityLibrary Search to make sure the item you want is not available in our collection. For help on searching our catalogue and accessing Library resources, please have a look at our Help with Online Resources guide
- There is a charge for Inter-Library Loan requests and in most cases this is non-refundable
- Library Services subsidises Inter-Library Loans meaning you do not pay the full cost of a request
- Make sure the Library has your correct contact details so we can let you know when your request has been supplied.
|Journal articles (electronic delivery or photocopies)||£ 3.00|
|Whole journal issues||£ 3.00|
|Non-UK items including foreign theses *||£ 3.00 - 9.00|
|Book renewals (each time)**||£3.00|
* UK PhD theses can be requested via the British Library's EThOS (Electronic Theses Online) service.
**Books from the British Library only.
Some departments will cover the cost of requests for staff and/or PhD students by providing pre-purchased vouchers for payment. Please speak to your departmental administrator, supervisor or tutor for information on availability.
Most books may be renewed:
- For items borrowed from the British Library there is a renewal charge of £3.00
- Please let us know at least 3 days before the due date if you wish to renew an item
- All items borrowed are subject to recall at any time.
Journal articles, conference papers and book chapters can be supplied electronically via the British Library's On Demand service. As soon as your request is available you will receive an email containing a link to access your document: you can then download and save a pdf. which you can keep for up to 3 years:
- We have a step-by-step guide (pdf) to On Demand which includes troubleshooting information
- Please contact the Inter-Library Loans Team for more information and/or help with accessing documents electronically
- Alternatively, the British Library’s help guide can be found on their website in the section called DRM Lite
- If you would prefer to collect a print copy from the Library please let us know, either by contacting us directly, or by including this information on your request form.
Existing customers using Adobe Digital Editions
If you are an existing customer and have been receiving and accessing articles using Adobe Digital Editions, any articles already downloaded can still be accessed in your ADE Library for up to three years as long as you keep Adobe Digital Editions on your machine.
All new article requests will be ordered using the British Library's new delivery method. For further advice, please contact us.
By submitting an online request form you are confirming that you have read the copyright declaration (pdf) and agree to abide by its conditions. More information on copyright can be found on our copyright webpages.
- If you are requesting an item for commercial purposes, you must declare this on your request: items being used for commercial purposes are subject to an additional Copyright fee.