Current students
  1. Student Support Statement
  2. Academic
  3. Administration
  4. Health, wellbeing, faith & sport
  5. IT Support
  6. Careers & work experience
  7. Accommodation
  8. Policy & regulation
  9. Online store
  10. A-Z of services
  11. Strike FAQs
  1. Health Service
  2. Health Information Zone
  3. Mental Health team
    1. Registering with the Mental Health team
    2. Mental Health team: medical evidence
    3. Specialist In-House Mental Health Mentoring
    4. Additional Financial Support: Home Students
    5. Additional Financial Support: International Students
    6. Mindfulness
Current students

Mental Health team

Do you have a mental health difficulty and would like confidential advice and support? The Mental Health team is here to help.

University can be an exciting and positive experience but the challenges involved can be made harder if you are also managing a mental health condition.  If your own university experience, attendance or academic progression is affected by mental health difficulties, you are far from alone. At City, University of London we are committed to supporting students to enable them to participate fully in university life.

Who we support

  • Students with a diagnosed mental health condition(s)
  • Those referred by the Student Counselling team
  • Care leavers (more information about the support available to care leavers can be found here)

How we can help

If you are able to provide appropriate medical evidence, although we do not replace the support you should receive from the NHS, we can provide support, advice and specialist in-house mentoring around the following:

  • Coming to City/transition planning
  • Information about and referral to support services both inside and outside City
  • Managing your mental health condition(s) during your studies
  • Self-help resources
  • Recommendations for reasonable course adjustments
  • Exam arrangements
  • What to do if things go wrong (more information can be found here)
  • Additional funding such as Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

We do not provide out of hours crisis support. In case of emergency we recommend you contact your GP or call 111. More information about crisis support can be found here.

How to register with us

For information about our registration process please see here.


All personal information that you share with the Student Counselling & Mental Health Service is considered sensitive under the Data Protection Act (1998).  It will remain strictly confidential and will only be disclosed to relevant parties at your request and/or with your knowledge. Student Counselling & Mental Health Service staff attend external supervision and meetings of the City Multidisciplinary Team, similarly bound by confidentiality. The only exception arises where there is concern for the safety of individuals.