Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme
PhD students will be able to apply for a further leave of 12 months under the Doctorate Extension Scheme (Tier 4).
About the scheme
An application for the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) must be made from within the UK - you cannot apply for it from overseas. You can only apply if you have valid Tier 4 student immigration permission at the time you make this application. The fee for this application is the same as a Tier 4 student extension application, and you would apply as though you are applying for a Tier 4 visa, but make sure you tick the box on the form to confirm you are applying for the DES.
The visa will be granted for a period of 12 months from your expected course end date as stated on the new CAS. You will not be able to make a further application under this scheme but you may extend your stay under the Start-up scheme or Tier 2 of the point based immigration system if you meet the requirements. More information can be found on the Tier 4 DES FAQs. Unlike Tier 4, the DES will allow you to be self-employed or work as an entertainer, but you still cannot work as a professional sportsperson or coach or as a doctor or dentist in training.
Before you apply
- Applications must be made in the UK and within 60 days prior to your expected PhD award date
- The application needs to be made under Tier 4 and to be sponsored by City, University of London.
- You will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Please note that a CAS cannot be assigned more than 60 days before your expected PhD award date. You will be advised of the expected award date once your have completed your viva - the expected award date will depend on whether you have corrections, and how long you have been assigned to complete these. You can then contact us to request a CAS. We will need to see evidence that you meet the financial requirements in order to request this
How to apply
You need to complete an online Tier 4 Student form and pay your fee before printing off your application and sending it to the Home Office with your supporting documents.
- Application fees
- Standard service
A decision within 8 weeks after attending your biometrics appointment
- Priority service
A decision within 5 working days after attending your biometrics appointment
- Super priority service
A decision the next working day following your biometrics appointment
- Plus £300 per year for health surcharge. We encourage you to read our Immigration Health Surcharge FAQs.
- Standard service
You should submit your current passport
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement
CAS can only be assigned within 60 days prior your expected PhD award date (2 months from your correction deadline). Please email the International Student Advice team to request a CAS for your Doctorate Extension Scheme application.
You need to demonstrate that you have held at least £2,530 in your bank account for a minimum of 28 days before making your application. More information about Tier 4 and funds can be found under the Tier 4 student visa pages.
- Police Registration Certificate
If you are required to register with the police, you must submit an up-to-date police registration certificate including your current visa status and address.
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate
The government has confirmed that ATAS is not required for DES applicants.