Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  9. Clearing and Adjustment
  10. Ask a student
  11. Coronavirus and studying at City
  1. Visa and immigration
  2. Tier 4 student visa
  3. Police Registration
Study at City

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This requirement will be written on your UK visa.

Please note that the OVRO are not currently taking online bookings until mid to late October 2020. There will be no penalty action for delayed registration or reporting changes as a result of OVRO’s suspension of services. No students will be penalised for late police registration.

The University will update students on police registration as it receives more information. Any student who has received a priority appointment from OVRO and are unable to attend are advised to make contact with OVRO by e-mail if they have arrived in the UK and are subject to self-isolation restrictions.

Check if you need to register with the Police

Nationals from certain countries may be required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.

You’ll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:

  • your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
  • your decision email letter from the Home Office

It is important that you read any letters from the UK Visa and Immigration Service carefully to see if you need to register. If it is written in the letter it is a legal requirement of your visa.

If you are required to register with the Police, you will need to obtain a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).

How to register with the Police for the first time

No walk-in customers will be accepted by OVRO from Monday, 3 February 2020. You should book an appointment through OVRO’s Online Appointment Booking System.

If you are updating an existing police registration certificate, you must use the online booking system through the OVRO.

Complete the 'Police Registration Proforma' online and then print out a copy. Please use below information to help you complete the online Proforma:

  • Previous non-UK Address: address at your home country
  • Place of Arrival: name of the airport you arrived at (e.g. London Heathrow)
  • Full name and Address of University: City University London, 10 Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
  • UK Residential Address: your current address in London
  • Signature: please make sure your signature is signed within the box

When you attend your appointment, you must bring the following documents:

  • your completed registration form
  • one UK passport-sized photo (45mm x 35mm), glued to the form
  • your passport (containing your visa vignette)
  • Email Decision Letter confirming that you a required to register with the Police (if it is not noted on your visa)
  • your biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • £34 registration fee (payable by cash or card. They can now accept payments made by American Express, Diners Club International and through most mobile payment applications such as Apple Pay and Google pay).

Address: Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL
Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line).

Please check carefully whether you need to register with the police, as the consequences of not doing so can be serious.

Registering through City, University of London:  New students starting in September 2020 ONLY

For new students starting in September 2020 and registering with the police for the first time the Student Centre at City has a special arrangement for a limited time period with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) to enable pre-booked appointment times for our students to meet and complete the requirement with OVRO staff at the university directly.

More information about this Scheme can be found on Student Hub.

Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up-to-date

You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place at home - you do not need to carry it with you every day. However, you should remember to take it if you travel outside the UK as you may be asked to show it at Immigration controls.

If your circumstances change whilst you are here in the UK, you will need to tell the Police and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. There is no charge for this. If you fail to do this it is a breach of your immigration conditions and you could face a fine or prison sentence and have your immigration permission cancelled.

For all changes to circumstances, you should book an appointment through OVRO’s Online Appointment Booking System to attend OVRO in Borough. If you are out of the UK for more than 12 months, your PRC is no longer valid and you will need to pay for a new one.

The following changes which should be recorded include:

  • Visa extension
  • Change of course
  • Change of address
  • Change of name
  • Getting a new passport
  • Getting married or divorced

Change of address can be done at your local police station

If you are living in London and only need to change your address, then you can update this information at a local police station. The nearest police station from main campus is Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, London N1 0YY. Remember you must do this within 7 days.