Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  9. Ask a student
  1. Exchange and Study Abroad programme
  2. City Study Abroad Programme
  3. New Starters
  4. Before you leave
Study at City

Before you leave

Academic approval

A few months before your arrival we will ask you to confirm the courses that you want to take at City. It it important that prior to confirming your City programme of studies that you speak to your advisers at your home institution for them to approve your City courses. It is your responsibility to ensure that your City courses are approved and you will be able to gain credit for your time at City. In July (for an students starting in autumn) or November (for students starting in spring) we will send you information on the timetables so that you can start to finalise your course selection. You can see a list of all the courses available for Study Abroad students on our courses pages. Although we want you to confirm as much as possible before you arrive you will still be able to make changes to your programme when you arrive.

Entry clearance to the UK

Most non-EU students on the Study Abroad Programme study in the UK on a Short Term Study Visa, if you are studying at City for an academic year you will need to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa.

In June (autumn) or November (spring) we will send you a letter which you will need for entry to the UK. Most students who are Non-Visa Nationals (i.e. USA) can gain entry clearance on arrival. For students who are Visa Nationals, you will need to apply for entry clearance in advance.

It is important that you find out your visa status in advance of making travel arrangements to the UK. 

What to pack

Be sure you know what your luggage allowance is and what penalties there will be for over packing. Don't forget that there are stores in the UK and you don't need to bring a four month supply of toiletries!

If you are staying in Liberty Court or Liberty Hall your room will include a bedding and kitchen pack. The only thing we don't supply are towels, so you might want to bring one with you or purchase them when you arrive.

In the autumn the average daily temperature is 17C (63F) in September but 7C (45F) in December so you will need to ensure that you bring suitable clothing for the full semester. In the spring, the average daily temperature is 6C (43F) in January but 17C (63F) in May.

UK plugs have three pins and the voltage is 240v, so you will need to bring, or buy on arrival, an adaptor for your laptop and other items you will bring.

Travel and health insurance

The UK has a National Health Service (NHS) providing free or subsidised healthcare to UK residents. This service is only available to students if you are joining the Study Abroad Programme for the full academic year on a Tier 4 visa or an EU citizen.

If your home institution doesn't provide travel and health insurance or your parents' insurance scheme does not provide coverage you are advised to take out suitable medical insurance before leaving home. Please speak to your home institution about providers they may recommend.


When you received your offer to study at City you would have received information about accommodation. Confirmation of your accommodation contract is sent out in June/July (autumn) or October/November (spring), and we will ask for payment in September (autumn) or January (spring). If you have not secured City accommodation and would like accommodation for your semester at City find more study abroad accommodation information.

If you want to find non-City accommodation our Accommodation Service at City provides information for students looking for private rented accommodation.