Summer Schools - Funded Opportunities
Option 1: Partner University Summer Schools
Undergraduate students from all schools at City are invited to apply for funding to attend a Summer School at one of our partner universities. This is an opportunity for students to gain an international experience and benefit from an academic and cultural programme in their chosen destination.
You will be able to choose from one of the following destinations. More detailed information on each summer school is available through the links below:
- South Korea: Seoul National University
- Australia: University Of Queensland, Brisbane
- Vietnam: RMIT Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh campus
- Turkey: Koç University
- Berlin: Technical University of Berlin
- Denmark: Aarhus University
**Please do NOT apply directly to the universities above. These links are for you to find out more information about the opportunities. In order to apply for the funding, you must submit a City application via the 'apply now' button below.
What does the funding cover?
- Tuition fees at the host university.
- £1,000 grant for EU summer schools
- £1,500 grant for non-EU summer schools
- The grant is intended to go towards the cost of flights, accommodation and subsistence. The grant may not be sufficient to cover the full costs associated with the trip, and students are expected to cover any additional costs themselves.
Am I eligible?
- Must be 18 years or older
- Funding applications are open to undergraduate students from all five schools who are not yet in the final year of their degree
- Applicants must have achieved a cumulative average of 50% or above in exams and/or coursework to date (i.e. combined average during their time at City)
- Applicants must not previously have undertaken a semester or full year exchange programme (or intend to do so in 2020/21), or received other funding for an international opportunity through City (eg. Common Purpose trips)
- Applicants wishing to undertake a summer school in their home country will not be considered for funding
*Please note that the criteria above apply only to City’s Summer School funding scheme, and students who do not meet the eligibility criteria can still apply to go on a Summer School independent of this funding scheme.
- Fill out the City funding application form (click on ‘Apply Now’ below) by 23rd February 23:59
- Successful funding applicants will be notified on 20th March 2020
- Please note that if successful, you will also need to apply directly to the university you have been offered. Deadlines will differ depending on the university.
- Grants will be paid out to students by 31st May 2020
The ACU (Association of Commonwealth Universities) is offering grants (up to £2,000) for undergraduate students from UK member universities to attend a summer school overseas. This is a very competitive programme, open to students around the UK. After submitting your application to City, we will shortlist 2 students to nominate to the ACU, who will complete the final selection process.
To apply, students must meet the following criteria:
- Registered as an undergraduate at an ACU member university in the UK (City is a member)
- A UK national who is ordinarily a resident in the UK, or someone with refugee status in the UK
In addition, students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- From a family with a combined annual parental income of under GBP 25,000
- The first person in their family to go to university
- A care leaver
How to apply:
- Carefully read through information on the ACU's website regarding the programme here.
- Complete the ACU's application found here
- Email the application to: email@example.com
- Submit application by: 23rd February at 23:59
- City will inform you if you are shortlisted by 2nd March
- The ACU will be in touch with selected applicants once their process has completed.