Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  9. Ask a student
  1. Financial alternatives
  2. NHS finance
Study at City

NHS finance & bursaries

The Department of Health and Social Care has now confirmed that from August 2018 the following postgraduate pre-registration courses will be eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loans via Student Finance England. Find out more about the loan arrangements and additional financial support available.

Maintenance Funding

Postgraduate students who started studying their course before 2018 are eligible for funding listed in the table below:

Where you stay during term-time Non-means tested grant Means tested Bursary from the NHS*
Living away from parental home, in London £1,000 up to £5,567
Living in parental home (all areas) £1,000 up to £3,439

*Please note the actual NHS bursary level will depend on the length of your course each year and household contributions are expected where the residual household income is £24,279 and above.

Extra allowances

There is additional support for students with dependents and/or a disability as follows:

  • Dependants' Allowances
  • Parents Learning Allowance
  • Child Care Grant - an amount towards Ofsted approved child care costs
  • Disabled Students' Allowances ( DSAs ) please contact our Learning Success office for support in applying for DSAs .

How do I apply?

All students with an NHS funded place must complete an application each year in order to get the tuition fees paid. You must submit an application to NHS Student Bursaries even if you do not believe you will be eligible for the non-means tested grant or means-tested bursary. Please visit the NHS Student Bursaries website and review the information for new students. It's important you read the information provided about the application process prior to starting your application. Once you have read this you should create an account and complete an online application via the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS).

Continuing Undergraduate students who wish to apply for the non-means tested maintenance loan can apply online through Student Finance England (SFE).

PG Diploma and MSc students on NHS funded courses are not eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England. Please see NHS Student Bursaries for further information.