Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us
  6. Student support
  1. Short courses
Study at City

Frequently asked questions

Q. Why are some courses showing TBC - when will the courses start?

A. TBC = To Be Confirmed.

We will be publishing new dates & prices at the end of June / start July for our Autumn term, which starts 1st October. No 5- or 10-week courses will run again before then.

Q. Who can enrol on a Short Course?

A. Anybody can enrol for the part-time Short Courses at City, University of London - these are open access courses.


- You need to be at least 18 years old.

- If you are a non-EEA national you will need a visa that permits study.

Please note that the University does not issue visa support letters for Short Courses. See also the International section below.

Q. What qualifications do I need?

Short Courses require no formal qualifications / degrees / documentation etc. However, we ask that you carefully read the Eligibility Guidelines on each course's page to determine whether it is suitable for you.

Q. Where are the courses held?

A. All the classes take place at the Northampton Square campus of City, University of London.

There is a map and travel information on our Visit City page.

Q. What does '10 weekly classes' mean?

A. Weekly means once a week, thus '10 weekly classes' means one lesson per week for 10 consecutive weeks.

Classes are held on the same day each week as the starting weekday.

Q. How do I book a Short Course?

A. There's no application process - to enrol you simply pay online on our website with a credit or debit card. Click on the Book Now button next to your chosen course and you will be taken to a secure online booking system. After completing registration and making payment, you will get an automatic receipt from the Estore, followed by an enrolment confirmation email closer to the start date.

Please note that a place is not reserved by putting the course in the shopping basket - payment must be made in order to secure the place.

(N.B. UK companies may pay by invoice - please contact us. Non-UK companies, or individuals, may not pay by invoice.)

Q. Can I take more than one Short Course at the same time?

A. Yes, you can enrol on more than one Short Course in the same term, provided the days on which they run do not clash.

Q. Is there a minimum age requirement for studying on a Short Course?

A. Anyone who is 18 and over can enrol for our courses. There is no upper age limit.

Q. Is it possible to pay the course fee in instalments?

A. No, it is not possible to pay the course fees in instalments. The course fee has to be paid in full in order to enrol.

Q. Is there a discount if I am unemployed or book more than one course?

A. No, there are no discounts on the Short Courses. The courses are priced very competitively for the London market.

Q. Is there a discount for current students or alumni of City, University of London?

A. No, there is no discount on Short Courses for students or alumni of City, University of London.

Q. Do I get a certificate at the end of the course?

A. As the Short Courses are not accredited, there is no formal assessment and no qualification issued at the end of the courses, but students who attend at least 70% of the classes will receive a certificate with City's logo, stating that they undertook a particular course at City, University of London.

Q. Is there an exam?

A. No, but some courses will have work between sessions to complete and tutors may offer feedback. Some courses conclude with a presentation of some sort. Please refer to specific course information.

Q. How many students will be in a class?

A. It depends on the type of course; generally around 20, but on some courses the available equipment limits the class size (for example, 16 for computing courses or fewer for some writing or language courses).

Q. Will I get a Student Card?

A. No. On the first evening of your course you will receive a Short Courses Student Access Card from your tutor and you must carry your card with you at all times whilst on City, University of London premises. Please note that this is NOT a student ID card, nor an access swipe card, and is only valid at City. To access the library present this card and your confirmation of enrolment.

Q. What happens if I register for a course, but there are not enough people enrolled on it?

A. City, University of London reserves the right to cancel a course, if, for example, there are insufficient numbers. If this occurs, we will refund your course fee in full.

Q. What is the deadline for applying for a Short Course?

A. There is no deadline for applications for the Short Courses, but it is advisable to enrol as soon as you can, because courses often fill up long before the start date. In addition, for most courses you need to activate your computer access in advance of the course start.

You can check the number of places left on a course by clicking on the 'Book now' button against the course start date of interest.

Q. Can I cancel my enrolment and get a refund?

A. Refunds will be given, minus a £25.00 administration charge, if written notification is received at least 14 days before the start of term.

No refunds will be given with less than 14 days' written notice.

You may read our full Terms and Conditions, and please note that Section IV also applies to Short Courses.

Q. Is there any help available finding a job or internship when I finish a Short Course at City University London?

A. As a student on the Short Courses you would be entitled to get advice on how to enhance your employability from our Careers, Student Development & Outreach centre.

Q. I am not a native speaker of English. Do I need an IELTS certificate?

A. No, there is no formal proof required of applicants' proficiency of English, but, as the Short Courses are University level courses, the guideline is that you should at least have English equivalent to IELTS 6.5.

Q. What is the difference is between a CPD and a Short Course?

A. CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is regarded as a more structured approach to learning and the means by which people maintain their knowledge and skills related to their professional lives. Some CPD courses may require certain professional experience.

Short Courses can be taken by people who are new to a subject, or want to refresh their knowledge of it, but in some areas they may also progress to more advanced levels. Anyone can take the beginner or intro level Short Courses. For higher levels, please check the Eligibility Guidelines on the course page (and 'What Will I Learn' tab on any pre-requisite course cited) as certain knowledge will be assumed.

Frequently Asked Questions for international Short Course applicants

Q. I'm an international student - can I apply for the Short Courses? If yes, what are the fees?

A. The part-time Short Courses at City, University of London are open access courses: anybody can apply for them, whether home or international applicants. The course fees are the same for everybody.

Q. Do I need to apply for a visa to come to study on the Short Courses?

A1. If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) national, you do not need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

A2. If you are a non-EEA national, you will need a visa that permits study in order to attend.

Please note that the University does not issue visa support letters for Short Courses.

Q. Do I need to have an IELTS certificate to prove my level of English?

A. No. There is no formal proof required of the applicant's proficiency of English, but, as the courses are of University level, the guideline is that you should have a level equivalent to at least IELTS 6.5. The entry requirements for the Short Courses state that applicants should be proficient in written and spoken English.

Q. Do you provide accommodation if I enrol on one of the Short Courses?

A. No, we do not arrange accommodation for our Short Course students - applicants will have to organise that themselves. Read more information on private housing in London.

Q. Is there any financial help available for international students?

A. There is no funding available to international students for Short Courses.