The Novel Studio Scholarship
Novel Studio alumna and crime writer, Harriet Tyce, is supporting a fully-funded place for one successful applicant to the course from a low-income household.
Aim of The Novel Studio Scholarship
The aim of the scholarship is to support a student of talent and potential who might not otherwise be able to accept an offer of a place on The Novel Studio.
Applicants to the scholarship will go through the same process as all other applicants but will need to include a personal statement and provide evidence of financial need.
The top three applications will be shortlisted and a final winner chosen by a panel, including the course director, course tutors and Harriet Tyce.
Applications will be welcomed from those who:
- Have applied for The Novel Studio and met the criteria for selection
- Show exceptional talent and promise as emerging writers
- Are ordinarily resident in the UK
- Have submitted a statement describing their financial situation and need, and why the scholarship is sought.
- Have submitted a statement outlining their commitment to their development as a novel writer.
Employees of City, University of London are not eligible.
Important information about the scholarship
- Applications to the scholarship will be assessed by a panel including the Course Director, the Novel Studio tutors and scholarship funder, Harriet Tyce. The panel’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. The selection team are not able to comment on individual entries.
- City, University of London reserves the right to change the selection team at short notice, and to cancel the scholarship should the need arise.
How to apply for The Novel Studio Scholarship
Applicants to the Novel Studio scholarship should apply in the same way as all applicants to the course, emailing their 2000 word fiction sample and CV to Course Director, Emily Pedder, using the subject heading “Novel Studio scholarship” in their email.
The deadline for applications to the scholarship is 24th April 2020.
- 1st February 2020: Novel Studio general applications and Novel Studio scholarship applications open.
- 24th April 2020: Deadline for general applications.
- 2nd, 4th, 9th June 2020: Novel Studio Interviews.
- 19th June 2020: Novel Studio accepted students informed.
- 26th June 2020: Novel Studio Scholarship winner informed.
- 2nd October 2020: Competition winners announced.
Please note all dates are subject to change at short notice.