Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us & online events
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  9. Ask a student
  1. Applying for Clearing with and without UCAS
Study at City

Applying for Clearing with and without UCAS

Do you have to apply for a course vacancy through Clearing? If yes, then read on to find out how you apply, both with and without UCAS.

You can apply through Clearing in two ways; with UCAS and without UCAS.

Applying with UCAS

If you are applying through UCAS then your Track application will either say that you are in Clearing or that Clearing has started. Along with this you will be given a unique Clearing number.

This number is extremely important because you have to provide us with it when you apply. The Clearing number grants us access to your personal statement.

On results day, you should complete our Clearing web form application to enquire if you will be offered a place onto your selected course. We will then get in touch with you, most likely via email. Bear in mind that the course department will be trying to find out about you and why you want to apply.

Remember that plenty of people will be applying through Clearing. We recommend contacting us as soon as you know you are in Clearing to limit disappointment.

If we offer you a place, then you should log-on to your UCAS Track application and click ‘Add Clearing choice’. You can do so by following the points below:

  • You should only add a Clearing choice when you have received confirmation from us stating that we will accept you onto the course
  • Log on to your UCAS Track application and choose the option ‘Add Clearing choice’ and fill in the course details by the deadline that we mentioned during our conversation and confirmation email.

When you have added the Clearing choice, you have formally accepted our offer. Now your UCAS Track status will be updated saying that you have accepted the course and institution. All you have to do now is wait for a confirmation letter.

Applying without UCAS

You may be wondering if it’s possible to apply without going through UCAS. The answer is yes.

If you apply to us through Clearing without UCAS then it is known as ‘record of prior acceptance’.

Through record of prior acceptance, you contact us to apply through Clearing, and we will then contact UCAS to finalise the application.

Although you are not applying through UCAS, we will be expecting a personal statement, application form, a school reference and any achieved grades, and you have to send this directly.

Releasing yourself into Clearing on UCAS Track

If you have received an Unconditional Firm (UF) offer at a university, but have changed your mind and wish to apply through Clearing to another university you will be able to ‘Release’ yourself via your UCAS Track account.

This is different to previous years where applicants had to contact the University and ask to be Released.

A Release into Clearing, for whatever reason, will mean that you no longer have a place at the University where you were originally UF. If you want to study at a different university, you should secure a place there before Releasing yourself. If you do Release yourself without having secured a place on another course, your original University may refuse to take you back.

How do I Self-Release?

If you wish to Release yourself you can do this via Track. There will be a button which says ‘Decline my place’. You will be presented with three options:

  • I want to go to my insurance choice
  • I no longer wish to go to university this year
  • I want to apply somewhere else in Clearing

This will be followed by a warning which states:

By continuing, you will give up your confirmed place and end your contract with your university or college. You will then be able to apply for another place through Clearing. You are not cancelling your application. If you want to cancel your application, see our frequently asked questions.

If you’re not sure what you want to do, you can discuss your situation with your university or college.

What each Release option means

It is vital that you understand what happens with each of these options.

'I want to go to my insurance choice'

If you are placed and, therefore, Unconditional Firm (UF) at a University, your Insurance choice is no longer obliged to take you.

Regardless of whether your Insurance choice is showing as Conditional Insurance (CI) or Unconditional Insurance (UI), if you want to try to go to that University you MUST contact them first to check if they still have spaces. You cannot simply use the Self-Release mechanism to swap the Firm with the Insurance.

You need to contact your Insurance choice University and check that they will offer you a place via Clearing.

'I no longer wish to go to university this year'

If you no longer wish to go to University this year, then you can use this option to decline your offer.

'I want to apply somewhere else in Clearing'

If you wish to go through the Clearing process in order to change University or course, you MUST contact other Universities and get confirmation that they will agree to offer you a place in Clearing BEFORE you Self-Release.

In clicking the button to Release yourself, you will end your contract with your Firm choice University and put yourself into Clearing. You cannot undo this action and, if you feel that you have made a mistake, your original University may refuse to take you back.

Other Clearing information

Join us at City through Clearing and Adjustment.

Take a journey through our university. We are proud to say ‘This is City.’