Study at City
  1. Courses
  2. Applying
  3. Fees and funding
  4. Living in London
  5. Visit us & online events
  6. Student support
  7. International students
  8. Order a prospectus
  9. Ask a student
  1. Alternative entry routes
Study at City

Alternative entry routes

If you do not qualify for entry to City through the standard routes, there may be other alternatives for admission.

Second year transfers

There may be instances where students have started their degree at a different university and would like to transfer to complete their studies here at City. This may be due to a change in personal circumstances; such as location, funding or student welfare.

We are committed to trying to help these students. We accept students transferring from other universities for second-year undergraduate entry on a case-by case basis; but, this is not the case across all of our courses. See here for more information on the University admissions policy.

If you wish to apply for second-year entry please be aware that you must:

  • Currently be studying on a course in an equivalent subject area.
  • Have achieved grades equal to the entry requirements for first-year entry (A Levels, international qualifications, foundation years, access courses, etc).
  • Have covered sufficiently similar content to that of our first year students.
  • Be gaining or have gained at least a 2:1 in every module in your current first year. You must provide official documentation of this as evidence (e.g. university transcript).

If you feel you meet these requirements then please apply through UCAS as early as possible (transfer students normally apply when their first semester exam results are published) and we can then assess your eligibility. Please be aware you will need to select your 'point of entry' as year two.

Please note: For direct second-year entrants the overall degree classification will be based on the marks obtained at City, University of London only, with the weighting of 33/67 between the second and third year. Marks previously obtained will not be used in the degree classification.

On your application please include:

  • The exact name of the degree you are studying towards
  • The institution at which you are studying
  • The modules you have taken
  • Any scores you have achieved.

This information will enable us to make a more informed decision as to whether the content that you have studied is to an appropriate level for level-two entry. Please be aware that you must meet all of the above requirements, otherwise your application is unlikely to be successful.

If you are currently studying in an overseas institution and have any questions about applying for 2nd year entry, please contact

Non-standard entrants

Applicants who do not have the standard academic requirement but who have significant life or work experience may be considered on individual merit. The course descriptions on this website give you a general indication of an appropriate background for a course.

Although you will need to apply for the course through UCAS, it is a good idea to contact admissions tutors first. They will discuss with you whether the degree is likely to help you achieve your goals and how your experience and educational background match the course requirements.

Evidence of recent study, such as an 'A' level evening class, an Open University Foundation course or a kite-marked Access course, is helpful. Some courses at City have foundation years that prepare you for the first year of a specific bachelor's degree course.

14-19 Diploma qualifications

We welcome the introduction of the new 14-19 Diploma qualifications. Diploma applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis where appropriate subjects have been taken. Many courses will demand an 'A' level for Additional and Specialist learning while some will require a particular Specialist Unit. More detailed information will be published on our website and our UCAS entry profiles when it becomes available.