A Varsity is a series of sporting fixtures between two local or rival universities. The oldest Varsity match in the world is in cricket between the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, having first been played in 1827.
City, University of London vs. Kingston University
36 teams, 2 universities, 1 trophy
The 2017- 2018 season brought with it the second of a three match Varsity series against the Kingston University. Having been victorious in year 1, City were keen to win the and retain the "Thames river trophy".
Thirty-six teams competed in ten different sports across two days of sporting action. Cheered on by the sporting community and with a special appearance by CityWolf, the official students’ sports mascot, City were again victorious, winning 10-7 overall and taking a 2-0 lead in the series.
Results - Day one - Wednesday 21st March 2018
All sports took place at Kingston University’s Tolworth Court sports ground, Old Kingston Road, Tolworth, KT4 7QH.
- Mixed Climbing CITY WIN (POINTS NOT INCLUDED)
- Mixed Hockey KINGSTON WIN
- Men's Hockey KINGSTON WIN
- Men's Football 1sts KINGSTON WIN
- Men’s Football 2nds KINGSTON WIN
- Women's Football CITY WIN
- Women's Netball LUSL KINGSTON WIN (POINTS NOT INCLUDED)
- Men's Rugby Union KINGSTON WIN
- Women's Rugby KINGSTON WIN (POINTS NOT INCLUDED)
- Men's Tennis CITY WIN
- Mixed Tennis CITY WIN
- Women's Tennis CITY WIN
Results - Day two - Thursday 22nd March 2018
All sports are took place at CitySport, 124 Goswell Road, EC1V 7DP.
- Men’s Badminton CITY WIN
- Women’s Badminton CITY WIN
- Women’s Basketball CITY WIN
- Men’s Basketball CITY WIN
- Men's Futsal KINGSTON WIN
- Women's Netball KINGSTON WIN
- Women’s Volleyball CITY WIN
- Men’s Volleyball CITY WIN
For news on Varsity 2019, follow us on Facebook