A Varsity is a series of sporting fixture between two local or rival universities. The oldest Varsity match in the world is in cricket between the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, having first been played in 1827.
City, University of London vs. Kingston University
28 teams, 2 universities, 1 trophy
Tuesday 28th – Wednesday 29th March 2017
Come and support The City Wolfpack as they compete in 13 matches against the Kingston Cougars over two days of sporting action in our exciting new Varsity series. Not forgetting the inaugural showdown between the City Wolf and the Kingston Cougar in the mascot’s Challenge.
City’s Varsity against Kingston is the newest addition to the list of Varsity competitions in existence across the UK. Invite your City friends and come and support your fellow City students as they battle it out to win the 2017 Thames Trophy.
Varsity day one - Tuesday 28th March 2017
All sports except for mixed squash and mixed hockey are taking place at CitySport, 124 Goswell Road, EC1V 7DP.
- Men’s and Women’s singles and doubles Badminton, 11:00 – 13:00
- Women’s Volleyball, 13:30 – 15:30
- Men’s Volleyball, 15:30 – 17:30
- Women’s Basketball, 17:45 – 19:45
- Men’s Basketball, 19:45 – 21:45
- Mixed Squash, 14:00 – 17:00, Finsbury Leisure Centre, Norman Street, EC1V 3PU
- Mixed Hockey, 14:00 – 17:00, Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Eton Manor, Leadmill Lane, E20 3AD.
Free entry on day one. Bring your City ID card to gain entry to the sports hall.
Varsity day two - Wednesday 29th March 2017
All sports are taking place at Kingston University’s Tolworth Court sports ground, Old Kingston Road, Tolworth, KT4 7QH. Student supporters and athletes will need to purchase a ticket to attend day two.
- Women's Tennis, 10:30 – 13:30
- Men's Tennis, 10:30 – 13:30
- Men’s Football 2nds, 12:00 – 14:00
- Men's Football 1sts, 14:00 – 16:00
- Women's Netball 2nds, 12:30 – 14:00
- Women's Netball 1sts, 14:30 – 16:00
- Men's Rugby Union, 16:00 – 18:00
- Cheerleading performance.
Tickets cost £7.50 and will be available to purchase from CitySport reception from 1st March 2017 onwards.
Tickets include a supporters T-shirt, return coach travel, give-it-a-go activities and entry to the after party at CityBar.
The supporters T-shirt is the ticket for the event, meaning students need to be wearing their T-shirt to board the coach.
When purchasing your ticket you will be asked to confirm which coach you will travel on.
Spectator coaches are leaving City at 10:30, 12:30 and 13:30 on Wednesday 29th March 2017. All coaches will return to City, leaving Tolworth Court sports ground at 19:00.
Spectators are welcome to make their own way to Tolworth Court Sports Ground.
On day two, supporters will also have the opportunity to try:
- Flag American Football, 12:00 –14:00
- Lacrosse, 12:00 –14:00
- Ultimate Frisbee, 12:00 –14:00
- Zorb Football, 13:00 – 15:00
- Touch Rugby, 14:00 –16:00
- Gaelic Football, 14:00 – 16:00.
These fun and friendly sessions are for complete beginners so students do not need to worry if they have not played before. To take part, students are advised to wear comfortable clothing and trainers.
Food, drink and entertainment
DJs will be playing throughout the day and food and drink will be available to purchase. Please note that food outlets will be cash only and that no alcohol is allowed to be brought onto the site.
After party at CityBar
Continue the celebrations by joining us for a Varsity celebration at CityBar from 20:00 to
00:00, with a DJ playing throughout the evening and special offers on selected drinks.
To stay up to date with Varsity 2017, follow us on Facebook