City Research influences and inspires
  1. Research impact
  2. Statistics and facts
  3. Research areas and groups
  4. City's research strategy
  5. Research integrity
  6. Ethics
  7. Images of Research 2020 Competition
  8. City Doctoral College
  1. Essential information

Essential information

We've got lots of information to help you, whether you're just joining us as a Doctoral Researcher or if you have been with us for a while.

Research Student Handbook

This handbook includes an introduction to the Doctoral College and outlines the University’s key regulations and policies for research degrees including registration, supervision, key progression points, and examinations and awards.

It should be read in conjunction with University-wide policies and regulations, in particularly the University’s Quality Manual for Research Degrees.

City Doctoral College Induction

You must attend a Doctoral College induction at the start of your studies. Your School will also deliver a local induction.

Doctoral College inductions are held at least twice per year, in October and February. The sessions are designed to provide you with essential information to help you while studying for a research degree and provide a great opportunity to meet your fellow doctoral researchers. You will also be introduced to the Doctoral College and to key members of staff, including our President Professor Sir Paul Curran.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the October 2020 induction will be held online over two days during the week commencing 5th October. The schedule for the induction sessions can be found here. New students will receive invitations from the Doctoral College.

Please contact Mandy Instrell at the Doctoral College should you have any queries regarding induction.

Please note: An additional online induction will be held for researchers returning in the 2020/2021 academic year. This will cover the role of the Doctoral College; the launch of PhD Manager (which is replacing RaP); and the changes that have been implemented as a result of COVID-19. You will receive an invitation to this event from the Doctoral College.

PhD Manager

Our student progress platform PhD Manager is used to record, monitor and report on doctoral supervision and research student progress across the institution, and is where our researchers:

  • record details and notes of supervisory meetings
  • complete research degree milestones such as annual progress reviews and transfers
  • request any changes to registration, for example changes in mode of attendance or interruptions to study
  • book onto researcher training and development sessions
  • can view progress and upcoming deadlines.

Research Ethics

The consideration of whether planned research has any ethical implications and addressing any issues arising are key aspects of good practice in research. All research undertaken at City University of London must be conducted according to the principles of integrity, academic excellence, accountability, inclusiveness and professionalism.

It is vital that ethical approval is sought where required and that staff and students abide by the terms of any approval given.

No research participant should be recruited or contacted until all necessary approval has been obtained. Guidance on City’s ethics policy and the approval process can be found on our Research Ethics pages.

Student Support

There's plenty of support available to help you to get the most from your studies and your time at City. Whether you need information about study, funding, or managing your health there will be someone at the University who can help.

Find out more about the services and support we provide to our researchers by visiting the Help and Support pages on our Student Hub.

Feedback and representation

We are committed to ensuring that you get the most out of your time at City and encourage feedback from our researcher community. You can provide feedback on any aspect of our service provision either informally through your supervisors and your Senior Tutor/Associate Dean for Research, or formally through your doctoral researcher representative within your School, Department or Research Centre.

Doctoral researcher representatives form a critical part of our Doctoral College Board, representing the views and interests of doctoral researchers on matters relating to the academic experience, as well as the impact of the wider student experience on academic issues. Please talk to your supervisors if you are interested in becoming a doctoral researcher representative.

You are also encouraged to provide feedback on our provision through the biannual Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES), developed by the Higher Education Academy, and through the Research Student Development Group facilitated by the Students' Union.

International Doctoral Researchers

Our International Student Advice team provide help and support for international students at City, University of London. They can help you get the most out of your studies, and your time in London and the UK.

Read more about their services and how to get in touch with them here.