Images of Research 2018
Can you capture your entire research project in a single image? City, University of London are running a competition, presenting this challenge to our researchers.
Research and Enterprise are pleased to announce the Images of Research 2018 competition
This simple yet powerful concept has been designed to showcase the extraordinary diversity of research activities at City.
City is encouraging researchers to capture research projects in a visually attractive way in an aim to improve the accessibility of City's research excellence for a general audience.
Why should I enter?
Images of Research 2018 is a platform for City staff and postgraduate students to express their research using a different approach to the usual conference presentations and papers. Images are the perfect medium for engaging a non-specialist audience and capture the essence of even complex research projects in an accessible way.
The entries for the Images of Research 2018 will be displayed across the City campus and online; a unique opportunity to raise your research profile and engage a public audience.
Entries to the Images of Research 2018 exhibition can be in any number of different forms - it might be a depiction of data taken directly from your work, it may be a photograph that is representative of your project or it might be artwork of your own creation.
How to apply
If you are a researcher at City, grab your camera and produce a unique image which captures the essence of your research, or an element of your research, in a visual, artistic or photographic way.
Top that off with a snappy title and 150 word summary and that is all you need to do to participate.
- You must be a salaried member of staff or a Post graduate student currently registered at the university
- You must be the sole and exclusive owner of your submitted image, and
- You must have written permission from any identifiable persons (or their legal guardians) contained within the image.
- The submitted image needs to relate to recent research work and be no more than 2-3 years old and must have not been submitted for previous competitions at City
- Send images and 150 word text to: email@example.com by deadline 5pm, 23rd April 2018
- Top 10 winners shall be announced at the showcase on 27th June 2018.
Guidelines for your image
All submitted images need to be:
- representing your recent research, no older than 2 to 3 years old and must not have previously been entered for this competition at City. You can be as creative as you like to capture the viewer's imagination.
- a photo which you have taken yourself, not downloaded from Wikimedia or other image bank.
- in full colour, sepia or black and white
- in landscape or portrait
- high resolution: the file should be a minimum of 300 dpi at A3 size. Set your camera to high resolution with no image compression
- Only jpg or tiff formats will be accepted.