Images of Research 2018
Can you capture your entire research project in a single image? City, University of London are running a competition, presenting this challenge to our researchers.
Can you capture your entire research project in a single image? City, University of London presents this challenge to our researchers.
Images of Research 2018 is a simple yet powerful concept to showcase the marvellous diversity of research activities across the university. We would like you to capture research projects in a visually attractive way, in a form understandable by a general audience.
Up to five prizes of £1000 each (in vouchers) are available to each winning team.
Why should I enter?
The university values this competition as a way for our staff and postgraduate students to express their research using a different approach to the usual conference presentations and papers. Images are the perfect medium for engaging a non-specialist audience and capture the essence of even complex research projects in an accessible way.
The entries for the Images of Research 2018 will be displayed within the university campus and used for online and other marketing purposes. This is a unique opportunity to raise your research profile and engage a public audience.
Entries to the Images of Research 2018 exhibition can be in any number of different forms - it might be a depiction of data taken directly from your work, it may be a photograph that is representative of your project or it might be artwork of your own creation.
How to apply
If you are a researcher at City, grab your camera and produce a unique image which captures the essence of your research, or an element of your research, in a visual, artistic or photographic way.
Top that off with a snappy title and 150 word summary and that is all you need to do to participate.
- You must be a salaried member of staff or a Post graduate student currently registered at the university
- You must be the sole and exclusive owner of your submitted image, and
- You must have written permission from any identifiable persons (or their legal guardians) contained within the image. By submitting your entry you are agreeing to the University using your image for promotional and marketing activities
- Images need to be a minimum of 300 dpi
- Send images and 150 word text to: email@example.com by deadline 5pm, 28th May 2018
- Results at Enterprise showcase to be held on the 27th June 2018 in room BLG07.
Guidelines for your image
Please download and complete the application form. All submitted images need to be:
- representing your recent research, no older than 2 to 3 years old and must not have previously been entered for this competition at City. You can be as creative as you like to capture the viewer's imagination.
- a photo which you have taken yourself or has been taken by a colleague relating to your research (*see note below), not downloaded from Wikimedia or any other image bank.
- in full colour, sepia or black and white
- in landscape or portrait
- high resolution: the file should be a minimum of 300 dpi at A3 size. Set your camera to high resolution with no image compression
- Only jpg or tiff formats will be accepted.
*All images relating to your research at City, where the copyright it held by a third party, will the authorised signatory to sign and confirm that City may use the image for marketing and promotion purposes.