We believe exceptional academic performance should be recognised and rewarded. The President's Scholarship is offered to international students with exceptional grades.
This scholarship is designed as a recognition of the growing cost of studying at university. As such, the President’s International scholars will be awarded the scholarship as a discount in the fee amount due in the first year of their study. The student must be self-funded in order to qualify.*
The successful scholars will also be expected to be ambassadors for the City community. This will include representing the University at events, both on and off campus, contributing towards societies and supporting broader community engagement initiatives.
For students starting in 2021, there are thirty of these generous scholarships available.
*You may be considered to be a self-funded student if you are: funding your own studies, getting financial help from family or friends; or, receiving financial assistance direct from an external funder (excluding financial support from a government agency).
Registration and deadline
The process for applying for the President’s International Scholarship has four stages:
All students who submitted applications by the 15th January 2021 (and have not been subsequently unsuccessful) will be contacted with details of how they can apply for this Scholarship. All applications should take place online and no applications will be considered outside of the advertised timeframe.
At stage 1 students will have to provide a rationale for the following criteria:
- Demonstrate you are expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions of your offer
- Provide a written statement detailing how you are hoping to make a contribution to the wider City community. This statement should be no more than 500 words; but it should demonstrate research into the wider City initiatives and any evidence of previous community engagement or leadership
- Students will have until the 20th May 2021 2021 to submit an application for the Scholarship.
Students who are successful will be informed by the 20th June 2021 to confirm whether that they are proceeding to stage 2 of the application. This long-listing will be made by a panel of senior staff within the International Recruitment Team and every applicant will be scored and ranked for the relevancy and quality of their submission.
Students who are successful in reaching stage 2 will only proceed to stage 3, if they select City as their ‘firm’ choice and are due to enrol with us in September 2021.
Following the 10th June UCAS deadline, we will reduce the long-list down to 30 scholars through further assessment. This may include applicants being asked to do take part in an online interview or discussion.
This information will support the final short-list of applicants, with the ultimate decision on this taken by the University’s Scholarships Committee.
Only if students meet the conditions of their offer will they be awarded the scholarship. We will revert to the waiting list, should we have any available scholarship capacity after the 24th August 2021.
All students who have progressed to stage 4 will be written to by the 31st August 2021 to confirm if they have been awarded the scholarship.
Applicants should follow the admissions Appeals and Complaints Policy should they wish to follow up on any decisions made as part of this scholarship application process.
Value of the scholarship
The value of the Scholarships in 2021/22 will be £9,000 across all programmes.
Eligibility criteria for application
- Be a student expecting to pay Overseas fees
- Be in your first year of undergraduate study in 2021/22
- Starting in year 1 of your degree at City starting in September 2021
- Be expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions in your offer (or equivalents in other eligible qualifications)
- Make City your Firm choice, either as Conditional Firm (CF) or Unconditional Firm (UF), in line with the UCAS response deadline in June 2021.
Terms and conditions
- The scholarship is available to all undergraduate students assessed as 'International' by City, University of London who meet the eligibility requirements and terms and conditions
- Students must be registered full-time at City on 1st December 2021 to be eligible to receive the scholarship
- Students must be commencing the first year of their degree as a new student i.e. those commencing in Year 2 or 3 will not be eligible
- Year 0 (Foundation Year) students are not eligible and Year 0 students progressing to Year 1 will not be eligible. This includes students on our foundation programmes at INTO City, who are advised to see the scholarships specifically for students progressing from INTO
- Students whose fees are reassessed in the middle of their degree or who restart their degree will not be eligible
- Students are required to apply for the scholarship by 20th May 2021. Students who do not complete the application process by this deadline will not be eligible
- Students must choose City, University of London as their Firm choice through UCAS at initial decision stage
- Students may be requested to provide additional information in order to confirm their eligibility for a scholarship, typically in relation to their residency or previous studies. Any additional information requested must be provided to City, University of London by 15th November 2021 in order for a student to be considered for a scholarship
- City, University of London reserves the right to make changes to the terms and conditions of the scholarship and these will appear on our website
- If, after applying for one of the scholarships, your circumstances change and you are no longer eligible for that scholarship, you may be considered for one of the other available awards at the discretion of City
- Students from the European Union, who are applying for the EU Settlement Scheme and expecting to pay home fees, should only apply for the Lord Mayor of London Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Students who are successful in their application to this scheme are not eligible to receive funding from any of our other scholarships
- Scholarships are in the gift of the university and we can exclude an applicant at our discretion.
Previous years of study
If you started at City, University of London in previous years and have any queries about the scholarship, you may find the following helpful: