We believe exceptional academic performance should be recognised and rewarded. If you are an international student starting an undergraduate course at City in September 2023, a 50% scholarship is available for your first year.
This scholarship is designed as a recognition of the growing cost of studying at university. As such, the President’s International scholars will be awarded the scholarship as a discount in the fee amount due in the first year of their study. The student must be self-funded in order to qualify.*
The successful scholars will also be expected to be ambassadors for the City community. This will include representing the University at events, both on and off campus, contributing towards societies and supporting broader community engagement initiatives.
For students starting in 2023, there are thirty of these generous scholarships available.
You may be considered to be a self-funded student if you are:
- funding your own studies
- getting financial help from family or friends.
Registration and deadline
The process for applying for the President’s International Scholarship has three stages:
Stage 1 - invitation to apply
All students who submitted applications by the 25th January 2023 (and have not been subsequently unsuccessful) will be contacted with details of how they can apply for this Scholarship. All applications should take place online and no applications will be considered outside of the advertised timeframe.
At stage 1 students will have to:
- Demonstrate you are expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions of the offer
- Provide a written statement detailing how you are hoping to make a contribution to the wider City community. This statement should be no more than 500 words; but it should demonstrate research into the wider City initiatives and any evidence of previous community engagement or leadership
Students will have until the 2nd June 2023 to submit an application for the Scholarship.
Stage 2 - shortlisting
Students will be informed by the 23rd June 2023 to confirm whether that they have been shortlisted. This short listing will be made by a panel of senior staff within the Admissions Teams and every applicant will be scored and ranked for the relevancy and quality of their submission.
Students who are successful in being shortlisted will only proceed to stage 3 and the Selection Panel, if they select City as their ‘Firm’ choice and meet the conditions of their offer.
Stage 3 - selection panel
The final stage is conducted by the Selection panel who will review shortlisted applicants before making the final award. All students who have progressed to stage 3 will be written to by the 8th September 2023 to confirm if they have been awarded the scholarship.
Applicants should follow the admissions Appeals and Complaints Policy should they wish to follow up on any decisions made as part of this scholarship application process.
Value of the scholarship
The value of the Scholarships in 2023/24 will be 50% of the course fee for the first year only.
The Scholarship will be a reduction in the tuition fees at the beginning of the second term.
Eligibility criteria for application
- Be a student expecting to pay Overseas fees
- Be in your first year of undergraduate study in 2023/24
- Starting in year 1 of your degree at City starting in September 2023
- Be expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions in your offer (or equivalents in other eligible qualifications)
- Make City your Firm choice, either as Conditional Firm (CF) or Unconditional Firm (UF), in line with the UCAS response deadline in June 2023.
Terms and conditions
1. The scholarship is available to all undergraduate students assessed as 'International' by City, University of London who meet the eligibility requirements and terms and conditions
2. Students must be registered full-time at City on 1st December 2023 to be eligible to receive the scholarship
3. Students must be commencing the first year of their degree as a new student i.e. those commencing in Year 2 or 3 will not be eligible
4. Year 0 (Foundation Year) students are not eligible and Year 0 students progressing to Year 1 will not be eligible. This includes students on our foundation programmes at INTO City and Kaplan, who are advised to see the scholarships specifically for students progressing from those partners.
5. Students whose fees are reassessed after the award of the scholarship will be required to reimburse the difference. This will be either in the current year or a subsequent year; the year being at the discretion of the institution. Students who withdraw and restart year 1 after having been awarded will not be eligible a second time.
6. Students are required to apply for the scholarship by 2nd June 2023. Students who do not complete the application process by this deadline will not be eligible
7. Students must choose City, University of London as their Firm choice through UCAS at initial decision stage
8. Students may be requested to provide additional information in order to confirm their eligibility for a scholarship, typically in relation to their residency or previous studies. Any additional information requested must be provided to City, University of London by 1st September 2023 in order for a student to be considered for a scholarship
9. City, University of London reserves the right to make changes to the terms and conditions of the scholarship and these will appear on our website
10. If, after applying for one of the scholarships, your circumstances change and you are no longer eligible for that scholarship, you may be considered for one of the other available awards at the discretion of City
11. Students from the European Union, who are applying for the EU Settlement Scheme and expecting to pay home fees, should only apply for the Lord Mayor of London Scholarship for Academic Excellence
12. Students who are successful in their application to this scheme are not eligible to receive funding from any of our other scholarships
13. Scholarships are in the gift of the university and we can exclude an applicant at our discretion.
Previous years of study
If you started at City, University of London in previous years and have any queries about the scholarship, you may find the following helpful: