We want our students to have equal opportunities, embrace their studies and enjoy their time at City. If you are starting an undergraduate course at City in September 2023 a 50% scholarship is available for your first year.
This is subject to you meeting the conditions and submitting a successful application.
The Lord Mayor of London scholars will be awarded the scholarship as a discount in the fee amount due in the first year of their study. This means that if you are self-funded or funded by the Student Loan Company (SLC), the amount of money due for the first year of study would be reduced by half.
The successful scholars will also be expected to be ambassadors for the City community. This will include representing the University at events, both on and off campus, contributing towards societies and supporting broader community engagement initiatives.
For students starting in 2023, there are up to thirty of these generous scholarships available.
The tabs below further explain the process, the eligible qualifications required and the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
Registration and deadline
The process for applying for the Lord Mayor of London Scholarship has three stages:
Stage 1 - invitation to apply
All students who submitted applications by the 25th January 2023 (and have not been subsequently unsuccessful) will be contacted with details of how they can apply for this Scholarship. All applications should take place online and no applications will be considered outside of the advertised timeframe.
At stage 1 students will have to:
- Demonstrate you are expected to achieve academic grades above the conditions of the offer
- Provide a written statement detailing how you are hoping to make a contribution to the wider City community. This statement should be no more than 500 words; but it should demonstrate research into the wider City initiatives and any evidence of previous community engagement or leadership
Students will have until the 2nd June 2023 to submit an application for the Scholarship.
Stage 2 - shortlisting
Students will be informed by the 23rd June 2023 to confirm whether that they have been shortlisted. This short listing will be made by a panel of senior staff within the Admissions Teams and every applicant will be scored and ranked for the relevancy and quality of their submission.
Students who are successful in being shortlisted will only proceed to stage 3 and the Selection Panel, if they select City as their ‘Firm’ choice and meet the conditions of their offer.
Stage 3 – Selection Panel
The final stage is conducted by the Selection panel who will review shortlisted applicants before making the final award. All students who have progressed to stage 3 will be written to by the 8th September 2023 to confirm if they have been awarded the scholarship
If you believe you are eligible and have not yet received an email, please contact the Admissions team by completing the form and choosing Scholarships in the enquiry category.
All payments for this scholarship are expected to be made in the second term.
At the time of writing, we also hope to have an awards evening at some stage in your first term to celebrate you as a Lord Mayor of London Scholar.
Applicants should follow the admissions Appeals and Complaints Policy should they wish to follow up on any decisions made as part of this scholarship application process.
Value of the scholarship
The value of the Scholarships in 2023/24 will be 50% of the home undergraduate fee.
Eligibility criteria for application
- Be a student expected to pay home fees
- Be in your first year of undergraduate study in 2023/24
- Starting in year 1 of your degree at City starting in September 2023
- Be expected to achieve A-Level grades above the conditions in your offer (or equivalents in other eligible qualifications)
- Make City your Firm choice, either as Conditional Firm (CF) or Unconditional Firm (UF), in line with the UCAS response deadline in June 2023.
Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions are relating to 2023 entry only:
1. Students must be undertaking a full-time course at City on 1st December 2023 to be eligible to receive The Lord Mayor of London Scholarship of Academic Excellence
2. Students must be new entrants to Higher Education i.e. have not previously studied all or any part of an Undergraduate degree either in the UK or elsewhere
3. This scholarship is not available to students progressing from foundation programmes at City. This includes student at INTO City and Kaplan
4. Students must choose City, University of London as their Firm choice through UCAS at initial decision stage
5. Only students paying the full home fee, as set by the UK government, are eligible for an award
6. Students must be commencing the first year of their degree as a new student i.e. those commencing in Year 2 or 3 will not be eligible
7. Scholarships are only awarded in Year 1. Year 0 students progressing to Year 1 will not be eligible
8. The Scholarship is available to all undergraduate students assessed as 'Home' by City, University of London who meet the eligibility requirements
9. Students assessed as 'Overseas' by City, University of London and are liable for the 'international' fee are not eligible. This includes students from the European Union who qualify as Overseas
10. Students are required to submit an application by the 2nd June 2023. Students who do not complete the application process by this deadline will not be eligible
11. Students are expected to achieve grades above their conditional offer to be shortlisted. E.g. if the conditional offer is ABB from three A Levels, a student would be required to demonstrate that they expect to achieve grades of AAB+
12. Students need to have met the condition of their offer in order to progress from stage 2 to stage 3. They will then need subsequently to be selected by the Selection Panel.
13. Students may be requested to provide additional information in order to confirm their eligibility for a Scholarship, this would typically relate to residency or any clarifications required on previous study. Any additional information requested must be provided to City, University of London by 1st September 2023 in order for a student to be considered for a Scholarship.
14. Students from the European Union who are applying for the EU Settlement Scheme and expecting to pay home fees should apply for this Scholarship, on the basis that they are expecting to pay home fees
15. City, University of London reserves the right to make changes to the terms and conditions of The Lord Mayor of London Scholarship for Academic Excellence and these will appear on our website
16. Scholarships are in the gift of the university and we can exclude an applicant at our discretion.
Previous years of study
If you started at City, University of London in previous years and have any queries about the scholarship, you may find the following helpful: