We want our students to have equal opportunities, embrace their studies and enjoy their time at City. If you are starting an undergraduate course at City in September 2022 a 50% scholarship is available for your first year.
This is subject to you meeting the conditions and submitting a successful application.
The Lord Mayor of London scholars will be awarded the scholarship as a discount in the fee amount due in the first year of their study. This means that if you are self-funded or funded by the Student Loan Company (SLC), the amount of money due for the first year of study would be reduced by half.
The successful scholars will also be expected to be ambassadors for the City community. This will include representing the University at events, both on and off campus, contributing towards societies and supporting broader community engagement initiatives.
For students starting in 2022, there are up to thirty of these generous scholarships available.
The tabs below further explain the process, the eligible qualifications required and the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
Registration and deadline
The process for applying for the Lord Mayor of London Scholarship has four stages:
All students who submitted applications by the 26th January 2022 (and have not been subsequently unsuccessful) will be contacted with details of how they can apply for this Scholarship.
All applications should take place online and no applications will be considered outside of the advertised timeframe.
At stage one you will have to:
- Demonstrate you are expected to achieve results above the conditions of your conditional offer. Or; have an unconditional offer, having achieved grades above our advertised requirements
- Provide a written statement detailing how you are hoping to make a contribution to the wider City community. This statement should be no more than 500 words, but it should demonstrate research into the wider City initiatives and any evidence of previous community engagement or leadership
Students will have until the 19th May 2022 to submit an application for the Scholarship.
Students who have been successful in proceeding to stage 2 will be informed by the 20th June 2022.
This long-listing will be made by an Admissions Panel and every applicant will be scored and ranked for the relevancy and quality of their submission.
Students who are successful in reaching stage 2 will only proceed to stage 3, if they select City as their ‘firm’ choice and are due to enrol with us in September 2022.
Following the 9th June UCAS deadline, we will reduce the long-list down to thirty scholars through further assessment, this will include applicants being asked to provide answers to further questions.
This information will support the final short-list of applicants, with the ultimate decision on this taken by the University’s Scholarships Committee.
Only if students meet the conditions of their offer will they be awarded the scholarship. We will revert to the longlist, should we have any available scholarship capacity after the 26th August 2022.
All students who have progressed to stage 4 will be written to by the 31st August 2022 to confirm if they have been awarded the scholarship.
If you believe you are eligible and have not yet received an email, please contact the Admissions team by completing the form and choosing Scholarships in the enquiry category.
All payments for this scholarship are expected to be made in February 2023. At the time of writing, we also hope to have an awards evening at some stage in your first term to celebrate you as a Lord Mayor of London Scholar.
Applicants should follow the admissions Appeals and Complaints Policy should they wish to follow up on any decisions made as part of this scholarship application process.
Value of the scholarship
The value of the Scholarships in 2021/22 will be 50% of the home undergraduate fee.
Eligibility criteria for application
- Be a student expected to pay home fees
- Be in your first year of undergraduate study in 2022/23
- Starting in year 1 of your degree at City starting in September 2022
- Be expected to achieve A-Level grades above the conditions in your offer (or equivalents in other eligible qualifications)
- Make City your Firm choice, either as Conditional Firm (CF) or Unconditional Firm (UF), in line with the UCAS response deadline in June 2022.
Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions are relating to 2022 entry only:
- Students must be undertaking a full-time course at City on 1st December 2022 to be eligible to receive The Lord Mayor of London Scholarship of Academic Excellence
- Students must be new entrants to Higher Education i.e. have not previously studied all or any part of an Undergraduate degree either in the UK or elsewhere
- This scholarship is not available to students progressing from foundation programmes at City. This includes student at INTO City
- Students must choose City, University of London as their Firm choice through UCAS at initial decision stage
- Only students paying the full home fee, as set by the UK government, are eligible for an award
- Students must be commencing the first year of their degree as a new student i.e. those commencing in Year 2 or 3 will not be eligible
- Scholarships are only awarded in Year 1. Year 0 students progressing to Year 1 will not be eligible
- The Scholarship is available to all undergraduate students assessed as 'Home' by City, University of London who meet the eligibility requirements
- Students assessed as 'Overseas' by City, University of London and are liable for the 'international' fee are not eligible. This includes students from the European Union who qualify as Overseas
- Students are required to submit an application by the 20th May 2022. Students who do not complete the application process by this deadline will not be eligible
- Students are expected to achieve grades above their conditional offer to be shortlisted. E.g. if the conditional offer is ABB from three A Levels, a student would be required to demonstrate that they expect to achieve grades of AAB+
- Students need to have met the condition of their offer in order to progress from stage 3 to stage 4 and be awarded the scholarship by becoming a Scholar
- Students may be requested to provide additional information in order to confirm their eligibility for a Scholarship, this would typically relate to residency or any clarifications required on previous study. Students must do this in line with the deadlines outlined to be considered
- Students from the European Union who are applying for the EU Settlement Scheme and expecting to pay home fees should apply for this Scholarship, on the basis that they are expecting to pay home fees
- City, University of London reserves the right to make changes to the terms and conditions of The Lord Mayor of London Scholarship for Academic Excellence and these will appear on our website
- Scholarships are in the gift of the university and we can exclude an applicant at our discretion.
Previous years of study
If you started at City, University of London in previous years and have any queries about the scholarship, you may find the following helpful:
Description: City, University of London offers the Lord Mayor of London Scholarships - a 50% scholarship of £4,625 is available for Home undergraduate students starting their first year at university.
- Bayes Business School
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Health & Psychological Sciences
- School of Science & Technology
- The City Law School.
Eligibility: Students are expected to achieve A-Level grades above the conditions outlined in their offer (or equivalents in other eligible qualifications, such as the International Baccalaureate, BTEC Extended Diploma, Access)
Level of study: Undergraduate
Fee status: Home/UK