The Hardship Fund is funded by City, University of London and the City Alumni. It provides discretionary financial support for students who are in financial hardship or who face an unexpected financial emergency during their course.
At City we understand that despite financially planning for your study period unexpected financial hardship can arise leaving students with difficulty in paying for living costs and course materials. City is dedicated to providing financial support for students who find themselves in these circumstances through the City, University of London Hardship Fund.
The maximum grant for full-time students is £1,000, and £1,500 for full-time priority students (students with a disability, care leavers, dependent children, estranged students, carers and undergraduate students in their final year).
Students must meet all of the eligibility criteria below:
- Students must be enrolled full-time or part-time students (at least 25% of a full-time equivalent course) at City, University of London
- Students must apply for all eligible sources of funding before applying to the City Hardship Fund, this would include the full entitlement for means tested maintenance loans and grants, postgraduate loans, NHS Student Bursary, Child Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, Parents Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant, Council Tax Reduction, Universal Credit.
- Students must provide evidence that they have made realistic provision to cover their tuition fees and living expenses.
- Students must have received their first instalment student funding.
- Students must be up to date with their tuition fee payments. No financial support can be provided towards payment of tuition fees under any circumstances.
- Students can apply only once during each academic year.
Assessment and notification
- Applications can only be assessed once the online application form and all required supporting evidence has been submitted.
- Please allow up to six weeks for assessment.
- Applications are assessed in the order of receipt.
- Both a financial assessment based on your income and outgoings will be conducted also taking into consideration your personal circumstances.
- Priority is given to students with a disability, dependent children, carers, care leavers, estranged students, carers and undergraduate students in their final year.
- The maximum grant for full-time students is £1,000 and £1,500 for priority students.
- The maximum grant for part-time students is £500 and £750.
- We will contact you via your City email address to notify you of the outcome of your application.
A) Evidence of income – submit all that apply to you
- Student Finance entitlement statement or letter for 2021/22
- NHS Bursary entitlement letter 2021/22
- Studentship or scholarship letter for 2021/22
- Three months' payslips (modular, part-time, placement or secondment students only)
- Three months' bank statements for all of your bank accounts (online statements are acceptable but not excel spreadsheets). Please explain all transactions (credits and debits) over £100
- Partner/spouse income for three months e.g. payslips or bank statements.
B) Evidence of expenses – submit all that apply to you
- Rent/tenancy contract, mortgage statement, parental confirmation of contribution to rent/mortgage;
- Council tax bill 2021/22
- Priority bills e.g. rent arrears, council tax arrears, overdue utility bills
- Recent Housing Benefit entitlement letter
- Council Tax Benefit entitlement letter
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credits entitlement letters
- Universal Credit entitlement letter
- Childcare invoices
- If your term-time address is outside London please highlight your weekly/monthly travel expenses on your bank statements
- Additional course related costs e.g. equipment, books
- Health related costs e.g. optical, dental, prescription.
- Payments are made by bank transfer. Please ensure you carefully check the bank details you submit – incorrect details will cause payment loss or delay.
- Payments are made once per week.
- Grants do not need to be repaid.
If you have any queries, please contact the Student Funding Team via email firstname.lastname@example.org.