Take the first step towards communicating in Russian with our 10-week introductory evening course, ideal for total beginners.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 10 weeks (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £245 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Online (unconfirmed)
Russian Beginners Part 1 Course overview
Learn Russian quickly with part 1 of our entry-level Russian course, taught by a qualified native speaker. In just 10 weeks, you’ll cover the basics to converse and socialise on a very simple level.
In part 1, you’ll learn to construct simple and helpful phrases, like discussing your family and profession, making hotel reservations or asking for directions. We will focus on the Russian alphabet, building your knowledge letter by letter and working on your pronunciation.
If you enjoy the course, you can continue working towards CEFR A1 (the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) by enrolling on part 2 and part 3 of the beginners syllabus.
Who is it for?
This course is ideal for beginners who don’t want the commitment of enrolling on the full syllabus.
Find out more about our Russian courses
This course takes place one evening a week at 18:30 for 10 weeks. Delivered face-to-face at City, University of London's central London campus.
- Learn Russian quickly, mastering the basics in just 10 weeks
- Develop your confidence in a friendly group learning environment
- Access class materials in your own time via our online learning platform, Moodle.
What will I learn?
You’ll start with the Russian alphabet which uses letters from the Cyrillic script.
Learning in small groups you’ll begin speaking Russian from the first lesson.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- introduce yourself and talk about your family
- understand the alphabet and Russian pronunciation
- use numbers, ask for and tell the time
- ask for directions and book into a hotel
- describe things.
- Russian alphabet
- Russian alphabet (continuation)
- masculine, neuter, feminine nouns
- personal and possessive pronouns
- pronouns – formal and informal “you”
- genitive singular case of masculine and feminine nouns
- learning to count
- genitive singular with numbers
- consolidation of noun cases
- short adjectives
- present tense conjugation of the verb знать
- the basic rules of the past tense
- conjugation of the verb работать and делать in present tense
- the full present tense forms of verbs
- prepositional case.
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate on completion of the course if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The course is not formally accredited.
Our native Russian language tutors make the course fun and interactive and classroom activities include role-playing, and pair and group work. You’ll also work on pronunciation, intonation and grammar in context.
The lessons feature the use of audio clips and videos and you’ll also learn about Russian history and culture.
Weekly homework will be set to check your understanding.
No prior knowledge is needed to enrol.
Know a little Russian already? You may want to start on part 2 or part 3 of the Beginners Russian course.
Enrol on the full syllabus (parts 1, 2 and 3) to get the best price.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.