Across 10 weekly evening sessions, you will learn techniques to realise your full potential and assess your individual experiences within the context of positive psychology.
Week one: introduction & Flourishing
- Introduce the main themes of the course
- What is positive psychology? What do we mean by flourishing? What is happiness?
- Martin Seligman’s PERMA model of flourishing
- Set meaningful goals we will work to achieve by the end of the course.
Week two: values and values clarification
- How to identify your values
- Reflecting on your values
Week three: accomplishment and achievement
- Theories of becoming an expert
- Developing a growth mindset
- SMART goals
- A framework to achieving your goals.
Week four: flow & strengths
- Psychology of flow – being “in the zone” and fully engaged in what you are doing
- Psychology of strengths – identifying and using
- Connection between flow and using your strengths.
Week five: happiness and positive emotions
- Psychology of happiness and positive emotions, including Fredrickson’s Broaden and Build theory
- Attempts to answer “what makes people happier?”
- Empirically-supported interventions to happiness
Week six: meaning and purpose
- Psychology of meaning and purpose (Viktor Frankl, Martin Seligman; and the psychology of kindness).
Week seven: positive relationships
- Psychology of positive relationships – including romantic relationships and friendships and working relationship, drawing on the theories of Sternberg & Gottman.
Week eight: Mindfulness and ACT
- Mindfulness – evidence and experience
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – an evidence-based third wave therapy
Week nine: Resilience
- Overcoming adversities (drawing on evidence-based techniques from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) which may include problem solving and cognitive restructuring.
Week ten: Conclusions
- Drawing together threads from the course and discuss next steps
- Opportunity to do a short presentation relating to achieving the meaningful goal they set themselves to achieve earlier in the course.
Note: This is indicative of likely content and is subject to change.
Achieve Your Potential with Positive Psychology by Tim LeBon (Course Reader) should be purchased in advance of the course.