The 10-week course will cover:
Week one: Introduction: developing the best version of you
- Introduce the main themes of the course
- What is positive psychology and what is meant by "the best version of me"
- Setting personal course goals
- Course overview
- What is meant by “the good life”?
Week two: Starting to move towards the best version of you
- Behavioural Activation
- Baby Steps
- SMART+ Goals.
Week three:Overcoming Obstacles to Behaviour Change – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- What is CBT?
- Learning the STOPP technique
- How CBT helps you become a better version of you.
Week four: Thinking Fast and Slow & Mindfulness
- Kahneman’s Thinking Fast and Slow theory
- How mindfulness can help
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
Week five: Virtues & Strengths
- Identifying own VIA strengths
- What are the cardinal virtues
- How strengths and virtues are related.
Week six: Wisdom, Stoicism and the role of practical philosophy
- Types of wisdom
- How to become wiser
- What is Stoicism and how it is not the same as stoicism?
- The evidence base for Stoicism
- How to be Stoic.
Week seven: Self-compassion & compassion
- What are self-compassion and compassion?
- The benefits of self-compassion
- Compassionate Mind Training.
Week eight: Self-control & willpower
- The psychology of self-control and willpower
- Marshmallows, fallible resources and Ulysses
- Evidence-based ways to increase self-control.
Week nine: Courage and grit
- Courage and associated qualities - persistence and grit
- How to develop courage
- How to develop grit.
Week ten: Conclusions
- Opportunity to re-take the inventories to learn how much change has occurred.
- Key course themes will be summarised and next steps discussed.
- How to develop habits to maintain what has been learnt on the course.
Note: This is indicative of likely content and is subject to change