Python is one of the top programming languages in the world and continues to grow. From the basics this course provides a solid understanding of programming using Python, with practical exercises and examples.
1 starting date
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Time: to
- Fees: £560 (no VAT)
- Occurs: Saturday
- Location: Online
- Booking deadline:
Want to find out more?
Introduction to Programming with Python Course overview
Learn to think like a programmer with this hands-on and highly popular short course in Python programming. You will apply your knowledge to undertake practical exercises, with the support of an experienced tutor to guide you and answer questions.
By the end of the Python course for beginners, you will be able to
- Understand the fundamental features of the Python programming language
- Write procedural, object oriented and functional programs in Python.
This course is a great way to progress your career in computer programming.
Who is it for?
Suitable for beginners to programming - and Python - this course is a great way to develop skills to further your career in fields such as data analytics, finance and web development.
Find out more about our Programming courses
The Introduction to Programming with Python short course is 20 hours total learning, offered in various formats to fit your availability:
- Weekly evening classes – taught one evening a week for 10 consecutive weeks, allowing you to continue in full-time employment
- Saturday classes – taught over five consecutive Saturdays, designed for weekend learners
- Summer School – taught intensively over one week in the summer, ideal for learning Python quickly or for staff training
- Delivered by industry professionals
- Taught online to small groups
- Awarded a City, University of London certificate on completion
What will I learn?
- Think like a programmer
- Python overview and the basic language elements: Introduction to Python. Variables. Loops. Main method. Conditional structures. Data structure
- Debugging in Python (using pdb, Pycharm). How to read a program
- File manipulation: Reading and writing files
- Object Oriented programming in Python: classes, objects, inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation
- How to build a modular Python program
- Introduction to the Python standard library
- Testing in Python. Presentation of doctest and unittest
- Error handling: exceptions
By the end of the course, you will be able to
- understand the fundamental features of the Python programming language,
- write procedural, object oriented and functional programs in Python
Assessment and certificates
You will be awarded an official City, University of London certificate if you attend over 70 per cent of the classes. The course is not formally accredited.
Informal assessment will take place through group discussion, class room activities, and question and answer sessions as guided by your tutor.
Applicants must be proficient in written and spoken English.